Do Packer Forum members/fans want AR to leave?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully we are able to leverage the Jimmy G news into a better return. The Jets have pretty much pushed all their chips in on landing Rodgers, they don't have any "hedge" option at this point it feels like so it's either pay up and get Rodgers or...who knows.

And I think from the Packers perspective we are okay either way at this point. Would be nice to get some draft compensation to move Rodgers, but if he just retires I am pretty sure our FO will be perfectly fine with that too. As I have said before I do think that the Jets need Rodgers to join them more than we need him back or need him traded. I don't get the sense that Rodgers will try and force his way back to GB; if we come out and say that he's now a part of Packers history (and more or less have done so) I think he would sooner retire than try and force us to keep him around.

All that said though it seems like for a few days now it's been the case that GB and NYJ already have got things mostly agreed on and are just waiting for Rodgers to decide he wants to keep playing. Maybe there would have been some wisdom in waiting to get a deal done with NYJ (as less options for them means a higher price for us presumably) but it's probably not a major swing one way or the other at this point.
All good points. As for bargaining strength, I agree with you that the Jets have likely been all in on Rodgers since the season ended. If they believe their own publicity and the sports media, they're a QB away from a SB. They have a great D, with maybe their best player on a rookie contract for at least 2 more years. They have a young, productive RB and good receivers.

I see Rodgers being their guy by the process of elimination. Whether or not it's true, the Jets believe they have SB talent everywhere but QB, so Carr, Garropolo, Geno Smith, hell even Lamar Jackson are all ribbons compared to the trophy Rodgers.

Now reality is probably something a little less sunny. But it doesn't seem like the Jets think so. I'm certain Rodgers won't retire. So please, let's get on with it. This delay is probably Rodgers payback for slights, real and imagined, by the Packers FO over the years. The guy does seem to collect grudges like baseball cards. They never realized his transcendent greatness, the ingrates!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree with you that the Jets have likely been all in on Rodgers since the season ended.
Rodgers refusal to swap jerseys with Lions rookie WR Jameson Williams, after the game on Jan.8th and later saying something like "I wanted to hang on to that one, it might be special", was a good indicator of where his head was at after the game. Obviously it didn't rule out retirement, but he knew that it just might have been his last game in a Packer jersey.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the deal is made and its just a matter of announcing it unless Rodgers tries to crawl back to Green Bay. I don’t think Jimmy G being gone ups the price one bit. Isn’t Rodgers usually a Tuesday guest on that stupid guy’s radio show? If Rodgers drags it out past tomorrow he IS being a ******. Up til now I think he and the Packers keeping quiet is fine. After tomorrow he impacts the PACKERS free agency plans.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the deal is made and its just a matter of announcing it unless Rodgers tries to crawl back to Green Bay. I don’t think Jimmy G being gone ups the price one bit. Isn’t Rodgers usually a Tuesday guest on that stupid guy’s radio show? If Rodgers drags it out past tomorrow he IS being a ******. Up til now I think he and the Packers keeping quiet is fine. After tomorrow he impacts the PACKERS free agency plans.
Agreed. The deal was probably done the week after the SB. And yeah, if Rodgers doesn't make his decision known by tomorrow (before FA starts on Wednesday), then he's ****ing with the Packers' plans big time.

And yeah, that radio show with the guy in the wife-beater tank top is soooooo low rent. And it has AJ Hawk. 'Nuff said. If that how Rodgers' want to do it, fine. He can't leave fast enough as far as I'm concerned. NYC can have him and his Macy-float-sized ego and his LSD flashbacks.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The deal was probably done the week after the SB. And yeah, if Rodgers doesn't make his decision known by tomorrow (before FA starts on Wednesday), then he's ****ing with the Packers' plans big time.

And yeah, that radio show with the guy in the wife-beater tank top is soooooo low rent. And it has AJ Hawk. 'Nuff said. If that how Rodgers' want to do it, fine. He can't leave fast enough as far as I'm concerned. NYC can have him and his Macy-float-sized ego and his LSD flashbacks.
This is eerily similar to the hockey deal last week. Patrick Kane, a 3 time Stanley Cup winner and future HOFer is traded to the New York Rangers by the Chicago Blackhawks after 15 seasons. Now his team is in complete rebuild mode. Are the Packers going that way?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is eerily similar to the hockey deal last week. Patrick Kane, a 3 time Stanley Cup winner and future HOFer is traded to the New York Rangers by the Chicago Blackhawks after 15 seasons. Now his team is in complete rebuild mode. Are the Packers going that way?
Good question. I don't think they are in rebuild. They have pretty solid talent on both D and O. There are areas to address in the draft and FA - TE, S, OT, Edge, iDL. They are not an elite team and that will depend on how good Love performs, as well as the rookies and the WRs taken last year.

With all that said, very, very few teams make it to the SB, much less win it, without an elite QB. That was certainly true this year in the SB, where one QB was the MVP and the other QB was the runner up.

A lot will depend on coaching, and that worries me more than the player talent. MLF will be tested now without Rodgers. And the DC, Barry, is not the person for the job. Those are my concerns.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m going to miss him (and will be pulling for the Jets on the side). Wish we had gotten a few more SBs, but I appreciate what his talent has brought to the team over the years.
I'm gonna miss the Rodgers who didn't think the GMs had to run decisions past him. That's only been for the last two to three years. Rodgers just let it all go to his head, and he certainly seems like a narcissist.

He did bring us a lot of good football. As far as SBs, that I put mostly on the FO. Right now though, I'm simply sick of him and his stupid smirk. Even Jeopardy said no based on his two week audition. Other than his "inner circle", which is probably him and his mirror, he's not a very likable guy.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna miss the Rodgers who didn't think the GMs had to run decisions past him. That's only been for the last two to three years. Rodgers just let it all go to his head, and he certainly seems like a narcissist.

He did bring us a lot of good football. As far as SBs, that I put mostly on the FO. Right now though, I'm simply sick of him and his stupid smirk. Even Jeopardy said no based on his two week audition. Other than his "inner circle", which is probably him and his mirror, he's not a very likable guy.
The world is full of narcissists and what he does off the field is strictly his business. I have no problem with him because I can separate the football from the media-created drama (his biggest problem is that he continues to make himself an easy target). I have enjoyed his play, his press conferences and his locker room interviews. Those are the things I base my opinion of him on, since beyond that, I don’t know him. I don’t form my opinions based on anything anyone in the media has to say, or what disgruntled former teammates say, or TV shows like Jeopardy, ESPN, Access Hollywood, or The View, or whatever people are watching that’s got them so bent out of shape and feeling completely tormented and victimized by him. I find the degree of hatred towards him to be so over the top, it’s bizarre - but understandable to an extent I guess.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longer it drags out, I think the less we get for Rodgers. Might end up being just the Jets 2nd, a player and maybe a future pick tied to performance.
I've got to admit, if that's all we get I'm going to be disappointed.

He did bring us a lot of good football. As far as SBs, that I put mostly on the FO.
I've played the "We've had two HOF quarterbacks and only got two Super Bowl wins out of it" game myself. Yeah, that's a point. It is crazy hard to win Super Bowls though. I remember when we were stuck on two Super Bowls, seemingly forever. Then Favre (among others) got us another one, and it seemed like a miracle. Then Rodgers (among others) got us a fourth, and that seemed like icing on the cake. Four Super Bowls is a very respectable number.

Then Brady went on a tear and somehow picked up seven rings and reality seems to be out the window. What I've really wanted all these years is another dynasty to follow up the Lombardi years. But that seems truly impossible in the way the league is set up today. But then there's that pesky Brady...

Maybe Rodgers' biggest sin is that he's been overhyped.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never been a Rodgers fan but I think this is a fair statement.

Overhyped and personally arrogant. Not a mortal sin but I just think the GOAT talk was just nonsense, and then the victimhood by him (and the media) that Green Bay somehow let him down.

One of the best of his era but I think you hit something with “overhyped”

Thats one big reason I’m ready to move on to a team that needs to fight for it - instead of a team that needs to live up to him

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m going to miss him (and will be pulling for the Jets on the side). Wish we had gotten a few more SBs, but I appreciate what his talent has brought to the team over the years.
Ironic. With Rodgers on our side we played likely our worst game of the season last year at home against the Jets. EG. Blocked punt for TD, blocked FG, and a fumble on a handoff exchange.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers definitely loves playing games and getting all the attention:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

He cannot leave fast enough for me...Whatever it takes, we simply need to be rid of...

You will be in for a rude awakening once the Packers don't feature a HOF quarterback anymore.

And I think from the Packers perspective we are okay either way at this point. Would be nice to get some draft compensation to move Rodgers, but if he just retires I am pretty sure our FO will be perfectly fine with that too.

I guarantee that the Packers would prefer to trade Rodgers instead of him retiring as they would receive some compensation for him.

The deal was probably done the week after the SB.

I highly doubt there's any truth to that at all.

Good question. I don't think they are in rebuild. They have pretty solid talent on both D and O. There are areas to address in the draft and FA - TE, S, OT, Edge, iDL. They are not an elite team and that will depend on how good Love performs, as well as the rookies and the WRs taken last year.

Without an elite quarterback the Packers lack a lot of talent to be a competitive team. If Love doesn't perform well in his first season as a starter they will be in the running for the #1 overall pick in 2024.

I'm shocked.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The world is full of narcissists and what he does off the field is strictly his business. I have no problem with him because I can separate the football from the media-created drama (his biggest problem is that he continues to make himself an easy target). I have enjoyed his play, his press conferences and his locker room interviews. Those are the things I base my opinion of him on, since beyond that, I don’t know him. I don’t form my opinions based on anything anyone in the media has to say, or what disgruntled former teammates say, or TV shows like Jeopardy, ESPN, Access Hollywood, or The View, or whatever people are watching that’s got them so bent out of shape and feeling completely tormented and victimized by him. I find the degree of hatred towards him to be so over the top, it’s bizarre - but understandable to an extent I guess.
Your points are all well taken Mad Cat. If I'm letting someone bother me, take up space in my head, then that's on me. And you're right, our opinions should be our own and not a reflection of anyone else's views. And I certainly don't hate Rodgers. For 90 plus % of his career he was a big reason GB won so many games, making a lot of fans happy.

So I should (have) take my own advice and tune out all the other noise. Hell, we have no control over what happens to him anyway.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Overhyped and personally arrogant. Not a mortal sin but I just think the GOAT talk was just nonsense, and then the victimhood by him (and the media) that Green Bay somehow let him down.

One of the best of his era but I think you hit something with “overhyped”

Thats one big reason I’m ready to move on to a team that needs to fight for it - instead of a team that needs to live up to him
Yeah that's well said. 3 years ago we would have been devastated as fans if he went somewhere else or was traded. Now with the hype train running full steam, most fans just want him gone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got to admit, if that's all we get I'm going to be disappointed.

I've played the "We've had two HOF quarterbacks and only got two Super Bowl wins out of it" game myself. Yeah, that's a point. It is crazy hard to win Super Bowls though. I remember when we were stuck on two Super Bowls, seemingly forever. Then Favre (among others) got us another one, and it seemed like a miracle. Then Rodgers (among others) got us a fourth, and that seemed like icing on the cake. Four Super Bowls is a very respectable number.

Then Brady went on a tear and somehow picked up seven rings and reality seems to be out the window. What I've really wanted all these years is another dynasty to follow up the Lombardi years. But that seems truly impossible in the way the league is set up today. But then there's that pesky Brady...

Winning a SB, especially in the era of the cap, is extremely difficult. A lot of things have to line up perfectly, and even then some luck is required. I'm always happy with the thought that GB has 4 SB wins and the Queens have zero.

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sweet ****, the level of rodgers coverage in the "media" is actually at a saturation level with me. facebook is absolutely unbearable at the moment.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah... you know, I'd feel a heckuva lot better saying what I'm about to say if Jordan Love had shown anything beyond "arm strength" - the ability overthrow receivers. Now, I'm not a fan of Aaron Rodgers - I enjoy #12's game. Big difference there.

Packers and Rodgers are playing nice so as not to give the impression of a pending fire sale in my opinion - but the cold hard reality is that the most recent "run" is over. Starting the new league year approximately $63M in the hole dictates a course of action and the aforementioned "cold hard reality" is on our (the Packers and Packer Nation) doorstep. Apologies to Kevin Greene's ghost but "IT IS TIME".

Packers Nation is about to get what I call "a slap in the face with the carp of reality". If a company's financial situation similar to this came across my desk ... I have to say that I'd be pushing for receivership and/or a forced C-11 bankruptcy - most businesses don't have a monolithic TV contract to fall back on. So the NFL version of a C-11 is a year or two in "Cap Purgatory", not "Cap Hell" with revenues like the Packers generate you know ... they'll be back in black soon enough.

Ok, so if I haven't hedged well enough - I'm saying Aaron has to go, and in all likelihood, he doesn't want to stay anyway in my opinion. He knows what coming - and it IS coming and he's not about to make it easier for the Packers regardless of how he infers otherwise. From a pure business standpoint - he has to go.
"The carp of reality" - classic!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Others have said this and I agree - Rodgers lost touch with a lot of fans when he implied he would never return to GB. That was 2021 I think, just before he won two MVPs. That was it for me. I don't like quitters. And even then, MVP seemed more important to him than a SB.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will be in for a rude awakening once the Packers don't feature a HOF quarterback anymore.
Why? Because we might be just a team competing for a playoff spot year after year then losing? Hmmmmmmm Yup I’ll be waiting for that huge “I told ya so” when we miss the playoffs except …. Gee… we just did that even with His Arrogance …. Courtesy of a home loss to … *checks notes*…. *checks notes again*…. Detroit???? LOL