Do NFL Europe Fans Understand?

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the NFL-Europe is great. Any time that the joys of the NFL can be spread throughout the world, is tops in my book. Perhaps this would breed a new World League in the future that would one day pit up the Green Bay Packers against the Shanghai Dragons or the Chicago Bears against the Madagascar Lemurs. Possibilities are endless.
Anyway, while watching the "World Bowl" this weekend, I couldn't help but take notice of what the fans were doing. For the most part, they would we cheer as we would if a long pass was caught or a touchdown was made, but there were some instances where the cheering wasn't present, that would be in the US. For instance, a good tackle or gaining just one yard for a first down. I though this was very interesting and made me ponder if they really understand the game.
I know it is a fresh sport in Europe, and football has many, many rules and nuances to it that can seem tedious to the casual sports fan, but do the majority of the NFL Europe "American" football fans truly understand yet? Has the grasp started in Europe? Are Europeans talking about it in bars? Is the sport taking root?

What do you guys think?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know if it's a "fresh" sport in Europe.. really - it's been over there for about five years now.. correct?

But, the one thing I learned while stationed at HAHN AB in West Germany in the Seventies - was that when we went to see concerts like Jethro Tull's Aqualung Show in Stadthalle/Frankfurt - they had put folding chairs along the length of the former King's Hall - no permanent seating and everyone was well behaved like it was a Billy Graham Crusade Event - they cheered and it got rauckus, but only to a small extent compared to the riots in 1974 we had had.... in Montreal. They party-ed like we all did - just didn't spend a lot of time goin' off the deep end, as it were! I remember, Ian Anderson brought out this HUGE helium filled RED balloon about as big as some guys garages - and pushed it into the air - out onto the crowd - the dang thing made it all the way to the back of the halle - and then back to the stage and went for another go around, when finally some MORON with a pin, or a lighter, finally caused it to explode... SWARTZCATZ was there with me...it was a great time!

The thing is - in Europe the Concert goers are more interested in hearing each and every note of that concert - it was what they paid all that money for - as opposed to Americans who are out to party, get drunk, make a mess somewheres, and then have to force someone else drive them home, etc. - Sure, there were times when that would happen - but it was usually one per/cent. Many Bands would always appreciate the European crowds for this reason, too!

I am curious, though - how their luv for European Football (soccer?) and the craziness we've seen, with the stands collapsing.. how with our NFL-E... that hasn't translated yet (?) - Could be that since they consider it american - it just doesn't wash...... yet! Not like World Wide Soccer. Which truly is International - like our brand of NFL "should" be..... since it's the SUPERBOWL!

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting post. I think it will take some time before they understand the intricaies of American FB. There is no high school or collge FB for people to watch their sons. No training camps to speak of. I doubt there's any magazines where they could read and learn. So I think it could take some time before they understand even basic strategy. Similar to us watching soccer, it is only exciting when there is a shot on goal because we don't understand the rest.JMHO

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they probably know the basics but that is about it. Heck Hockey has been in the States for years ,granted it is not a big sport there, but there are some arenas that still put the basic rules in the program. When kids don't grow up playing a sport or at least watching it the learing curve is pretty large for them as Adults to take it all in.

Later
Leopardmech

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until they have a riot or stampede American football cannot be considered a major sport in other countries.
:mrgreen: :roll: :beer: :lol:

Members online

Latest posts