Did the Packers draft a QB one year too early?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I should start by saying that I am someone that thinks they did not draft a QB to replace Rodgers, but they drafted a QB to replace Boyle. My personal thought is that the Packers drafted a QB last year because they wanted a rookie QB to be QB3 for a year before asking him to be QB2. Knowing they did not want to offer Tim Boyle a contract, they capitalized on some Rodgers insurance.

That being said, I think they did the right thing. BUT, I think this years QB draft class is far superior to last years. I cannot help but think a QB that will be available at #29 this year would be much better than Jordan Love. Your thoughts?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they traded up to get a someone they ID'd as a back up, then it was one of the truly dumbest decisions in the history of the NFL.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I'll just respond to the second part because Mondio's response is spot-on.

Agree that the QB class looks deeper than 2020. Beyond Burrow and Herbert there is just no any other QB in that class that I thought would be a 1st round pick. I thought Love was going to go in the second round and Tua even later.

This year has Trevor Lawrence, Zack Wilson, Trey Lance, Kellen Mond, Mac Jones, Justin Fields, and Kyle Trask.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should start by saying that I am someone that thinks they did not draft a QB to replace Rodgers, but they drafted a QB to replace Boyle. My personal thought is that the Packers drafted a QB last year because they wanted a rookie QB to be QB3 for a year before asking him to be QB2. Knowing they did not want to offer Tim Boyle a contract, they capitalized on some Rodgers insurance.

That being said, I think they did the right thing. BUT, I think this years QB draft class is far superior to last years. I cannot help but think a QB that will be available at #29 this year would be much better than Jordan Love. Your thoughts?
Not all QBs get things done in the same way. Maybe they saw something in Love that these other QBs can't do that is important for MLFs offense.

I think they looked for an Arod backup with the hope that he develops into the starter. Rodgers was coming off of 4 straight years of declining play so the Packers had to have a contingency plan if that trend continued. Or, maybe they drafted his replacement to motivate Rodgers to get his head out of his butt. Which it the case, it was a genius move because we got the old Rodgers (minus a little old age decline) back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to add to mine, I do NOT think he was chosen to replace Doyle. He was chosen because they think he has what it takes to be a bonafide starter at QB and they had an opportunity to draft him so they did. As i've said a million times, if he turns out to be good it was a good pick IMO. Don't care what year they pick them. Good QB's are hard to come by. Every year there are far more guys that never amount to ****, let alone become a multiple year average starter and far less even that become really good. So the odds are against him, but if they ID'd him as someone and he turns out to be that someone, you pick him and you're right in doing so.

If you're trying to time it correctly and get a guy at a position with so few that actually become what you want in a specific year you likely just stacked 10,000 more variables against you.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Love’s tape stunned me. I expect him to develop into a very very good QB. His fluidity of motion and arm skill that I saw was borderline freakish. I think he’ll show well with other excellent players around him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just respond to the second part because Mondio's response is spot-on.

Agree that the QB class looks deeper than 2020. Beyond Burrow and Herbert there is just no any other QB in that class that I thought would be a 1st round pick. I thought Love was going to go in the second round and Tua even later.

This year has Trevor Lawrence, Zack Wilson, Trey Lance, Kellen Mond, Mac Jones, Justin Fields, and Kyle Trask.

Listing Trask is hilarious. He’s doo doo.

I’d take Lawrence and Lance over Love, although I think Lance and Love are Close. Fields is probably right in there with Love too.

I’m not sold on Wilson. Mac Jones is fine, but he’s not as good as Love.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t agree that a better QB than Love will be there at 29.

It’s also all hindsight.

If they identified Love as a very good QB, it would be malpractice to pass on him because “maybe next year will be better and a QB will drop”. That’s just dumb.

Second, why in the hell would they draft a QB in the first round, WHERE THEY TRADED UP, FOR A BACKUP?! A little logic goes a long ways! Good grief.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love’s tape stunned me. I expect him to develop into a very very good QB. His fluidity of motion and arm skill that I saw was borderline freakish. I think he’ll show well with other excellent players around him.
He certainly has the physical skills to be something special. If he is coachable, isn't rushed, and dedicates himself, he stands a better chance than most to suceed.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst And lafleur want Love to be the guy right now they wanna be known and go down for taking the next HOF they want rodgers gone. Of course they will never admit it. They won’t touch Rodgers contract cuz they want him year to year. I think this is Rodgers last year in Green Bay they aren’t gonna wait til his rookie contract is up to start him. They just trying to handle it correctly sort of speak. I think they play Rodgers til Rodgers wants to be done or if there is a serious serious decline in production..

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certainly has the physical skills to be something special. If he is coachable, isn't rushed, and dedicates himself, he stands a better chance than most to suceed.
I agree with this also qbs that sit a year tend to be better off

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they looked for an Arod backup with the hope that he develops into the starter. Rodgers was coming off of 4 straight years of declining play so the Packers had to have a contingency plan if that trend continued.
Any chance he resumes course and last year was the outlier? So we get the 2015 or 2018 Rodgers this season fer instance?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's ever too early to add talent & begin coaching a player up. Easily 2/3 of our discussions/debates are NOT having enough talent at certain positions.

i would have preferred a better use of our '20 #1 pick at a position of greater need, but I would rank Love @ #3 QB in this year's draft which may very well have made him a top 4 or 5 pick.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you know even though Rodgers was cemented for 4 years and won a SB and mvp, Ted was seriously studying Russel Wilson?? The packers have ALWAYS tried to have what they feel is a capable qb as back ups.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you know even though Rodgers was cemented for 4 years and won a SB and mvp, Ted was seriously studying Russel Wilson?? The packers have ALWAYS tried to have what they feel is a capable qb as back ups.
Seriously? Dang, Thompson sure had a feel for talent eval. Wilson has turned out much better than I would have ever thought possible.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Doesn't really surprise me, TT took stabs at QB's throughout his draft career. The 2008 2nd round Brian Brohm pick was always the biggest head scratcher for me. I hope Gute never gets into the habit of drafting QB's to be his #2 though and I don't think that was why Love was drafted either.

There are always enough veteran arms available that one can be had. What I do value though is experience both in the NFL and in the Packer system. Matt Flynn or Doug Peterson were 2 such guys. Neither really were ever starting QB's before being in GB, but they had enough experience and knowledge, that seeing them be forced into duty wasn't too nerve racking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously? Dang, Thompson sure had a feel for talent eval. Wilson has turned out much better than I would have ever thought possible.
He spent nights pouring over qb that year..and from what I heard studied russel a lot

Wish I still had my insider now..ive heard things but not as reliable as in past

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
From a cap perspective, yes it was too early.

But the availability of a talent who could possibly develop into the next franchise QB doesn't cater to your ideal cap timetable.

My opinion is that they took Love because the guys they wanted at other positions were gone, and because they liked him a lot and didn't think they'd be in a position to take a guy like him any time soon.

I'm also certain that they didn't anticipate Rodgers turning in one of the best years of his career.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a cap perspective, yes it was too early.

But the availability of a talent who could possibly develop into the next franchise QB doesn't cater to your ideal cap timetable.

My opinion is that they took Love because the guys they wanted at other positions were gone, and because they liked him a lot and didn't think they'd be in a position to take a guy like him any time soon.

I'm also certain that they didn't anticipate Rodgers turning in one of the best years of his career.

I don't understand the argument that Love is some generational, once-in-a-decade prospect. Drafting a backup QB when great players were still available is no possible sane argument. The only argument that makes any rationale sense is that MLF and Gute thought Rodgers was on the decline and decided they wanted to move on with a new QB.

Can't fans just admit that Gute made a colossal mistake in his analysis of where Rodgers was at in his career. The ONLY possible way this makes ANY sense is if there are no decent quarterbacks available for the Packers to draft in the next 2-3 drafts; something I think is very unlikely.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think there's a pretty big difference between drafting a backup QB in the 3rd round vs the 1st round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't understand the argument that Love is some generational, once-in-a-decade prospect. Drafting a backup QB when great players were still available is no possible sane argument. The only argument that makes any rationale sense is that MLF and Gute thought Rodgers was on the decline and decided they wanted to move on with a new QB.

Can't fans just admit that Gute made a colossal mistake in his analysis of where Rodgers was at in his career. The ONLY possible way this makes ANY sense is if there are no decent quarterbacks available for the Packers to draft in the next 2-3 drafts; something I think is very unlikely.

I said that they probably viewed him as a talent capable of developing into a franchise QB.

You got “generational, once in a generation prospect.”

Not sure what to do with that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said that they probably viewed him as a talent capable of developing into a franchise QB.

You got “generational, once in a generation prospect.”

Not sure what to do with that.

They drafted him at least 3 years too early. Yes, I used hyperbole. They didn't view him as once-in-a-decade, they just viewed him as once-in-five-years.

The excuse that "he was too good to pass up, they'll not have a chance at a player as good in the next 3-5 drafts" is just lazy excuse making. It's ridiculous to think that no quarterback drafted after the 26th pick in the next 3 drafts won't be any good. I don't think you can look at Michael Penix (the autocorrect on that name is expectedly awkward), Grayson McCall, or Myles Brennan and say none of those guys are definitively worse or won't be available next season. And that's just looking 2 years out.

Packers could REALLY have used Tee Higgins, Chase Claypool, Shenault, Pittman, or even Mims far more than Love; might have actually helped the Packers get a single first down against the Bucs after 2 fourth quarter interceptions. Added bonus, those players would almost certainly have helped THIS year's team more as well, and probably next year's team too!

D

Deleted member 6794

I think they looked for an Arod backup with the hope that he develops into the starter.

As mentioned above if they traded up to draft a backup for Rodgers it was a stupid move. They better were convinced that Love has the ability to develop into a franchise quarterback.

Unfortunately he won't have an excellent receiving corps to rely on aside of Adams.

i would have preferred a better use of our '20 #1 pick at a position of greater need, but I would rank Love @ #3 QB in this year's draft which may very well have made him a top 4 or 5 pick.

Why on earth would teams that passed over Love in 2020 now line up to draft him in the top five this year???