Did Favre stay for the stats?

MplsPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's just a coincidence but don't you find it funny that Brett retired after the season in which he broke all the NFL career passing records? I mean, for the past 3 years Favre's been saying that stats weren't the reason for him coming back. But after a season where he's had the most reasons to come back for(knocking on the door to the Super Bowl), he decides to call it quits? It's just weird if you think about it. But then again, maybe I'm just over thinking things.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, lhe's just tired.

Leave it to Favre to retire the one offseason everyone expects him to come back.

Doing the unexpected w/out flinching. Vintage Favre.

Reaction score
I do think the records mean something to Favre (as they should), but I don't believe Brett chose to retire because he got so many records.

From what I gather, Brett still felt he could go Sunday, but had enough of Monday-Friday during the football season.

zoogies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a coincidence, and it probably is something lying underneath. I think it's more the season as a whole though. This is a perfect time for Favre to retire - on the heels of a Cinderella season. This was a special season for Favre and the Pack, and that has to mean a lot.

Pity you guys couldn't get further. I really, really wanted to see Pats v Pack in the Super Bowl. And if Favre won, I wouldn't have minded it a bit. What a story that would have been. Alas....

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think in the past the records and stats had anything to do with Favre's decision to retire or to return. But this year I do think it had some to do with his decision.

That being, when looking back on the year and years, what he accomplished this year, it would have been very difficult to match or surpass this last year.

If Brett was really in if for the records, considering the starting streak was his most important achievement, he would have come back. Another year and half would have given him the starting streak of all players not just QBs.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
suprisingly... i dont care if he did come back just for stats.

We all think hes the best ever. now he has the numbers.

all in all... if he did come back for the records.. it allowed me to watch what has to have been my favorite season as a packer fan. sure we lost late in the playoffs. but we suprised a bunch of people, proved others wrong, broke records, had fun, got drunk and did it all in fine entertaining style... and i cant think of a better way to go out. well except that one way.

OP
OP
M

MplsPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see some people on here are getting a little defensive when I bring up a valid argument. I'm not trying to deminish Brett by any means. It's just something to think about. After all, this is the best chance for him and Green Bay to win another Super Bowl.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see the stats being part of the reason, but then again the end of the 2006-2007 season showed the Packers were definitely on the way up so maybe he felt that he could make one more playoff run with this team. I honestly believe he mostly wanted to come back just to prove the naysayers wrong. If he was all about the stats he would be back to cushion them as no doubt he can still deliver on the field and could make life pretty difficult for Peyton Manning to try and pass them.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see the stats being part of the reason, but then again the end of the 2006-2007 season showed the Packers were definitely on the way up so maybe he felt that he could make one more playoff run with this team. I honestly believe he mostly wanted to come back just to prove the naysayers wrong. If he was all about the stats he would be back to cushion them as no doubt he can still deliver on the field and could make life pretty difficult for Peyton Manning to try and pass them.

hey buddy! you disappeared for a while. welcome home! hahaha. i think he came back because he wanted to play football.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

hey buddy! you disappeared for a while. welcome home! hahaha. i think he came back because he wanted to play football.

Thanks man. I have made a few posts the last little bit, but work and home have been pretty hectic so I have not had the chance to get online as much as I like.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the stats did factor into his decision to retire. They were not the only reason.
I know Brett says that they didn't mean anything to him but look at his reaction after he broke the TD record. His reaction shows that he cared more than he publicly admitted. The same can be said after he got some of the others. There may not have been as much enthusiasm but that doesn't mean he was not glad to have set the new records.
Did he play only for the records? Not at all.
But at his point in his life he has nothing else to prove. Nothing else to shoot for. He is mentally tired because there are no more challenges for him with the records all gone.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he played for the stats, he would play 2 more years.
Retiring now shows he wasn't playing for the stats. P Manning is right on his heels. The only stats Manning won't break are the wins and consecutive game streak.

If Favre played 2 more years, P Manning wouldn't be able to catch him.

So....
No. Favre wanted to retire with a second Ring. He came close. He decided enough was enough. He simply doesn't want to endure the crap that comes with another season.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Retiring now shows he wasn't playing for the stats. P Manning is right on his heels. The only stats Manning won't break are the wins and consecutive game streak.

So....
No. Favre wanted to retire with a second Ring. He came close. He decided enough was enough. He simply doesn't want to endure the crap that comes with another season.

that assumes he was playing soley for the stats which was not the case.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

So....

that was the whole point I was trying to make.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P Manning is right on his heels. The only stats Manning won't break are the wins and consecutive game streak.

Last I checked the Colts are a pretty good team and they've won a lot of games. I think it's reasonable to say that Manning could break that one as well.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
P Manning is right on his heels. The only stats Manning won't break are the wins and consecutive game streak.

Last I checked the Colts are a pretty good team and they've won a lot of games. I think it's reasonable to say that Manning could break that one as well.

Tony Dungy's probably coaching in his last year. Once he leaves, there's a good chance that their D which by the way was #1 in the NFL last year falls apart. Dungy's a top 5 coach, easily. He won't be replaced.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Zombieslayer said:

So....

that was the whole point I was trying to make.

My prior comment was that the stats were a factor in his overall decision to retire not that he played only to achieve the numbers and then quit once he got them.

Members online

Latest posts