Detroit -- September 11th

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should start concerning ourselves with this game, and not the Patriots...and not the Titans..

The key to this game is rattling Joey Harrington. Can our line beat their line? Can we get pressure on Joey? Can KGB do his thing? Can Jenkins and Kampman get good push like I seen him do vs the patriots decent line? Will HuntJackson be available?

I know they have good offensive weapons at reciever, and an up and coming RB, but if Joey can get rattled...game over. How do I know? Because it has happened the last 2 seasons.

I'd LOVE to get an early turnover on them...get in his head...have the coach think about bringing in garcia.

A lot of you are worried about the lackluster game vs the patriots, but what you SHOULD be concerned about is the injuries. Can Al stay healthy. Thomas too. The 2 fat defensive tackles. If we can get to sept 11th healthy. I'd chalk up the victory. Harrington hasn't proved anything, except hes a bust.

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seen a lot of unfounded optimism on this board lately.
I seen no reason to believe our team will win anything this year.
At the end of this season, I would love to say that I seen a great performance by an aggressive defense and a high powered offense.
In the game against the Patriots I seen an uninspired, untalented group of egotistical multimillionaires who couldn't tackle my grandmother. I seen poor execution and I seen a general lack of enthusiasm. I sure hope this changes.

Go Pack!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle said:

Kyle,

Out of curiosity, what do you feel has drastically changed from last season when we went 10-6 and took the NFC North Division? Personally, I feel the Pack has made far more positive changes than negative ones. By far, the most damaging was losing Wahle and Rivera. However, the addition of Jim Bates, the demotion from GM to just HC, and Favre taking a renewed interest in football (as well as being in the best shape in years) spell out a better team as a whole for the 2005-2006 season. True, the team still needs some work, but keep in mind this is preseason and training camp is not even over yet. Should we see the same perfomance come mid-October that we do now, I may be inclined to agree with you. However, I feel that judging the Pack's potential based on pre-season games is just as silly as calling for Aaron Rodger's head before he has completed his first training camp. Rookies are still being tested at various positions, Bates is still working out who will play what role in the defence and lines are constantly being changed to see who gels with whom. Remember, it's preseason. These games mean absolutely nothing in the greater scheme of things.

As an aside, I attended the 11 October blowout last season vs. the Titans which put the Pack at a 1-4 start. At that point things were not looking up as far as the rest of the season was concerned. However, one needs only to look at the Pack's record following that game to see that there is always a reason to be optimistic. 8)

GO PACK!

Robert C. Hedley

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle said:
At the end of this season, I would love to say that I seen a great performance by an aggressive defense and a high powered offense.
In the game against the Patriots I seen an uninspired, untalented group of egotistical multimillionaires who couldn't tackle my grandmother. I seen poor execution and I seen a general lack of enthusiasm. I sure hope this changes.

Go Pack!

Hey, is your grandmother a free agent?

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
having optimism is stupid...if you ask most of the people on this board. I am quite curious if they know what the preseason is all about. I wonder if they know Bates is still running a vanilla defense, to get guys focused and back to basics, you know, considering they couldnt tackle (something learned in pee wee football) last year.

1-2 in preseason..people are giving up? Thats stupid. If it was 1-2 in REGULAR season, its still stupid, but preseason? Wow...is Dr kevorkian still around? some people might wanna look him up

AF Lion

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far I cant really argue with tromazd's post. I have yet to see Joey make a big throw with someone in his face. But my biggest concern so far has been that the Defense has looked horrible so far in preseaon. I seriously hope they look better Monday night.

AF Lion

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to Apologize for even suggesting that the Lions could win on the 11th. After watching Monday nights game I realize they are the same crappy team as always. Their defense is horrible and they can't block crap. They are a 6-10 team at best. I was looking forward to having some good discussions with you all leading up to the game but is kind of hard when I know the Pack are going to drop 21 points on the Lions in the first quarter. :puke:

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AF Lion said:
I would like to Apologize for even suggesting that the Lions could win on the 11th. After watching Monday nights game I realize they are the same crappy team as always. Their defense is horrible and they can't block crap. They are a 6-10 team at best. I was looking forward to having some good discussions with you all leading up to the game but is kind of hard when I know the Pack are going to drop 21 points on the Lions in the first quarter. :puke:

I can't believe how badly they looked on Monday too, but in fairness to the Lions, they were missing Rogers and Hall. That being said, Steven Jackson looked like the second coming of Walter Payton on Monday. I was really surprised to see him run through the Lions' D like that.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all offseasn ive been saying 'watch out for the lions' but man...they really suck. how long till garcia sttarts? i say week 3.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we are getting ready for the Lions. After watching them against the Rams, I'm not so worried about their passing, but Jones looked great.

Posted Aug. 30, 2005

Notebook: Packers are preparing for Lions already
Mike Sherman

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Throughout training camp coach Mike Sherman has had one eye on the Packers

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After suffering through the Pack's dismal performance against New England, it was heartening to watch the Lions play even worse against the Rams. The Packer-Lion game on September 11th should be an even match, and as tromadz said, if the Pack can rattle Harrington early they could gain control of this game.

There has been a lot of talk on this board lately about how the preseason either is an accurate indicator of how well the team is going to do in the regular season OR the preseason means nothing at all. The truth is somewhere in between, but I am closer to the first view. Preseason wins and losses mean very little, but you do want to see your team look good overall and you want to see your team's players winning their one-on-one matchups. Thus far the Packers have lost more matchups than they have won, which does not bode well for the regular season.

This does not mean that I'm giving up. But it does mean that the team is not likely to get off to a good start, and it's quite possible that when this season is over they will prove to be just an average team, nothing more. What gives me hope is that there are a lot of new players, many of them very young guys, and the new defensive scheme may start coming together for these guys as the season progresses. The offense should still be pretty good. I like our linebackers, and the secondary has potential although it is still a work in progress. The D-line is the big concern at this point. I have very little confidence in these players. With special teams, it's hard to tell because there is so much switching around of personnel during the pre-season. But it's not a good sign when Sherman rides their ***** all week long and they stink just as bad as they did the week before.

So call me a pessimist if you want to, but I will be as excited as anyone when the Packers walk out onto Ford Field on opening day. It should be a great game.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England is one game. And it is preseason. What about the other two games, we looked better and we will look better again.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
all offseasn ive been saying 'watch out for the lions' but man...they really suck. how long till garcia sttarts? i say week 3.

Garcia looked even worse than Joey did. I'm not sure he'd be an upgade, even if Joey is stinking it up out there.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx: So you think the Packers looked good in the Buffalo game, which they lost 27-7? The opening drive by the offense was great, but things went downhill quickly after that. Against San Diego the Pack played decent. So that's one out of three games where they've looked okay overall, and there's a distinct downward trend here. Not what I would call a good preseason.

And to those who say preseason doesn't matter, I ask this question: Does practice matter? Certainly it does, and the preseason games matter even more than practice because they give players a chance to perform in game situations. As fans, we may give the preseason games too much importance because most of us don't get to watch practice, but you can't dismiss preseason either. I don't think it was a coincidence that the New England Patriots looked like the world champs last Friday night.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, the week before that they lost to the Saints...but if im Aaron Brooks i wouldn't throw any coming out parties, for the simple fact they beat the world champs in preseason. now i'm not trying to say preseason is completely irrelevant because i think thats oversimplifying...and by the same token i think everybody would like for the Pack to take care of business in these first four practice games.

i just think the outcomes of these games can be really deceiving...well actually i know they are. thats why placing too much importance on these games is a bit naive. the season is very, very long...and the real one hasn't started yet.

:twocents:

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. There is a lot of reading between the lines.

EXAMPLE: our defensive line sucked against the run.
POINT: our 2 starting defensive tackles, the big fat run stoppers, weren't playing.

read between the lines.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
PackerTraxx: So you think the Packers looked good in the Buffalo game, which they lost 27-7? The opening drive by the offense was great, but things went downhill quickly after that. Against San Diego the Pack played decent. So that's one out of three games where they've looked okay overall, and there's a distinct downward trend here. Not what I would call a good preseason.

And to those who say preseason doesn't matter, I ask this question: Does practice matter? Certainly it does, and the preseason games matter even more than practice because they give players a chance to perform in game situations. As fans, we may give the preseason games too much importance because most of us don't get to watch practice, but you can't dismiss preseason either. I don't think it was a coincidence that the New England Patriots looked like the world champs last Friday night.

Greg,

I don't think a makeshift defense with the non-starters is going to be a determining factor in if the Packers are going to have a successful season or not.

I think preseason is important to test the players in game situations. NOT to judge how they played as a team and how they looked playing together.

My feeling is that many of the people that played a lot of minutes will be either a special teams player/bench rider or NOT on the team.

Even some of the starters from the last game will be in the above catagories.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit finished the preseason 1-3, defeating the Bills 21-7 in their final game of the preseason . Those are the same Bills that the Packers struggled against in scrimmage and in the preseason.

Harrington is still the QB in Detroit. I believe that's the best thing about facing the Lions at the moment. At times he's had a few good moments, but overall he hasn't been too impressive. He struggled again during most of the preseason.

Jeff Garcia broke his leg tonight against the Bills. With McMahon gone to Philly, the Lions don't have much depth at QB behind Harrington. Fifth-round draft pick Dan Orlovsky and an undrafted rookie are currently his backups. So if Harrington struggles early against the Pack, there isn't much depth behind him we have to fear that can help bail out the Lions. That safety net the Lions had in Garcia will be out awhile.

What I do fear are those big defensive tackles over in Detroit led by Shaun Rogers. They are good, but not great. I fear them more because of the uncertainty on our offensive line, than because of Detroit's ability on their defensive line. With our uncertainty at both guard spots, and with Flanagan struggling to regain his form, how our offensive line plays against their defensive line is my biggest worry going into the game against the Lions.

The first game of the season isn't a must win. But considering how the schedule appears to get tougher as the season progresses, it would be nice to put a victory in the bank on opening day. A loss against the Lions would continue the perception by many of how the balance of power is shifting in the NFC North. A victory against the Lions would serve notice that the Packers aren't ready to be put to pasture just yet. I hope the Packers can send that message to the rest of the league with a victory. Ron Wolf always said you have to be able to control your division, and a victory opening day against the Lions would be a step in the right direction.

My biggest worry is that I might wrong and that the media experts could be right about the decline of the Packers. I'd hate to be hit with that reality the very first game of the season. But I still think the National media is dumber than me, which is why I'm looking forward to that opening game against Detroit despite my worries. My beer is cold, and my grill is ready. Let the season finally begin. I can't wait! :)

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right now, with harringtons life (Yes his life) on the line, the pressure he will feel is...sad. I hope we win, and all of that, but everything that man is going through is..sad. If things dont go well in the next 3 weeks..he is done for.

with that said....JENKINS...JACKSON.....KGB....KAMPMAN.......GET HIM!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts