Derek Carr benched

D

Deleted member 6794

It sounds like the Raiders might "have" to trade Adams...he's sounding like he's not gonna give them a choice if they get rid of Carr...Adams basically just posted as much on Ig I think it was. Complete with a middle finger emoji too

As far as that 17 million cap hit goes...from what I can find the Raiders are currently projected to have 32.7 m in cap space. And thats before they jetison Carr which would net them another 20 m plus against the cap. So, bottom line in this scenario they would have enough space to absorb that 17 m cap hit

Adams wasn't directing his instagram post at the Raiders but at fans not respecting Carr though. While Las Vegas could afford to take an additional $17 million cap hit for trading Davante that would be a terrible way to handle the cap. As I said before, that's not gonna happen.

What a clusterfuq in LV. IF they can find a trade partner for Carr they can save $29Mil on the cap, but Carr's base salary of $32.9Mil is owed by new team.

The Raiders could actually release Carr before February 15 to save that cap space as well.

Can Adams buy-back his freedom by returning $31Mil to LV and then become a FA?

I don't think Adams would be interested in doing that nor do I believe the league would allow anything like that.

I would much rather have Jones and Love, than Rodgers and Adams in 2023.

The Packers trading Rodgers would result in an additional cap hit of over $8 million for next season. It would actually make it tougher to keep other players on the roster.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are on crack. Carr is back in LV next year (along with Adams). They’re shutting down Carr to see what their backup has in the tank. Adams wanted out of Green Bay for 2 reasons. A) Rogers was a head case taking down the team in the near term (check), and B) his wife probably didnt want to live in Green Bay - neither are unreasonable motivations
He isnt back

He said bye to fans on Twitter

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Carr will be cut. No way will anyone pick up that contract of his. I could be wrong, but cutting him only costs the Raiders $5.625 M (dead cap hit). Where as keeping him, they have a $34.875 M cap hit.

If Rodgers retires/traded and Love isn't quite ready, I would love to see Carr in GB at the right price of course and that wouldn't be starter money.

So I was just looking at the limited information that Spotrac puts out on contracts. Carr's contract details had this:
  • 2023 salary ($32.9M) + $7.5M of 2024 salary fully guarantees 2/15/2023 (injury guaranteed at signing)
  • Full No Trade Clause
So that makes me ask, when can teams start trading again? I didn't think that was until March, when the new league year starts? If that is the case, the Raiders wouldn't be able to trade him without his 2023 salary kicking in as well as the $7.5M of 2024 salary. Also, with his full no trade clause, couldn't he block any trade, at least until 2/16/23 and beyond?

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carr released and now a free agent. Hopefully NYJ doesn't see him as a suitable 2 yr starter & mentor to Wilson or that'll limit GB's trade options for AR should he choose to play in '23.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Carr released and now a free agent. Hopefully NYJ doesn't see him as a suitable 2 yr starter & mentor to Wilson or that'll limit GB's trade options for AR should he choose to play in '23.
Guessing he will sign with the Saints. Wouldn't be surprising if they said "Look, we will trade something with the Raiders to get you, but force them to release you and we will have more assets to put better players around you."

Aaron will want to do the same thing with his new team or should. Yeah, Aaron doesn't have a "no trade clause" in his contract, but he might as well, he will just threaten to retire if its a team he won't play for.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing how the Saints would make that work. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought it had been reported that someone (maybe it was the Saints, actually) did make a trade offer but requested Carr take a pay cut and he was not interested in doing so.

Carr's previous contract had an AAV of something like 40m IIRC and the Saints presently have the worst cap situation in the league with them being approx. 60m over at the moment so they would seemingly really have to do some maneuvering.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are on crack. Carr is back in LV next year (along with Adams). They’re shutting down Carr to see what their backup has in the tank. Adams wanted out of Green Bay for 2 reasons. A) Rogers was a head case taking down the team in the near term (check), and B) his wife probably didnt want to live in Green Bay - neither are unreasonable motivations
Still on crack?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing how the Saints would make that work. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought it had been reported that someone (maybe it was the Saints, actually) did make a trade offer but requested Carr take a pay cut and he was not interested in doing so.

Carr's previous contract had an AAV of something like 40m IIRC and the Saints presently have the worst cap situation in the league with them being approx. 60m over at the moment so they would seemingly really have to do some maneuvering.
Carr only banked $24.9 mil for '22 so doubt he'll take a low-ball offer from any team because they're cash-strapped...been there. done that.

Members online

Latest posts