Denver's Pass D Worries ?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because, "green bay can't run the ball"

at all

dunno if you heard that 12837237 times on ESPN like I have.

GB can't run. AT ALL.

next week, they will be FORCED to run. How will they do? Considering GB can't run the ball, AT ALL.

Green bay IS brett favre.

All signs say we should lose that game, since we can't run, and they'll stop us from passing. We lose, right?

THAT'S how we'll gauge it.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think even though denver has a great pass defense, the packers will still try to use the pass to set up the run.

i'm not going to say we will not be able to pass against the broncos.

40 passes 20 rushes against denver.

pack 24 broncos 17

vechenzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know what i think of this? The bears were supposed to have a real good run defense... and that was our best rushing game of the season. Its all in the play calling.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
you know what i think of this? The bears were supposed to have a real good run defense... and that was our best rushing game of the season. Its all in the play calling.

The same Bears team that is beat up in the middle, has an over-rated MLB and the same ones that the Vike hung 300 plus yards on..

The Bears defense has more holes in it this year than a block of swiss cheese..

But I will say this, unless Wynn gets into shape this week bigtime, he will be limited in the CO air.. and that means Jackson, Mo or Grant will have to carry a bigger share of the carries..

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For everyone who believes that the Champ/Dre are the best CB tandem in the league, you couldn't be more wrong.

Dre Bly is having an awful year so far, and is getting burned deep at an almost automatic rate. Don't be surprised if we air it out come Monday night, and Brett doesn't even glance DD's way. If KoRo can get up to speed, I see him and GJ having some huge numbers.

JMO, but that's just a feeling I've had since like week 2, and both teams keep playing towards my initial forcast.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
For everyone who believes that the Champ/Dre are the best CB tandem in the league, you couldn't be more wrong.

Dre Bly is having an awful year so far, and is getting burned deep at an almost automatic rate. Don't be surprised if we air it out come Monday night, and Brett doesn't even glance DD's way. If KoRo can get up to speed, I see him and GJ having some huge numbers.

JMO, but that's just a feeling I've had since like week 2, and both teams keep playing towards my initial forcast.

Numbers don't lie but they can be very, very, misleading which is the case here.

Denver is #1 in passing yards allowed at 145ypg. The ONLY positive catagory they are #1 in.
Denver is #1 in passes thrown against at 20 per game and three teams have thrown 20 times or less against them. Of course these teams were running all over the Broncos so they didn't have to pass it

Some teams are averaging TWICE as many passes thrown at them as Denver. The passing yards allowed figures does NOT hold this into consideration.

Denver is next to dead last in TD's allowed per pass attempt giving up a TD for every 14.6 passs thrown at them and they allow a poor 67% of passes thrown to be completed.

Now THOSE are significant numbers.

This actually smells just like what we saw as a team in '05. Teams beat our lights out running the ball and only passed on us occasionally so we end up with great pass defense numbers but a lousy defense.

We'll see how good their pass defense is a week from Monday but I believe we have seen much better pass defenses then what these guys can put up.

Just because teams have not thrown it much because they haven't had to doesn't mean Denver is good at it and that's the only thing in the numbers I see here.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they are #1 in the pass very much the same reason Bates defense was #1 against the pass when he was here.

They can't stop the run. It's no secret that 99% of NFL teams would much rather RUN THE BALL effectively. It controls the clock and wears down the defense.

When Bates was here we were #1 against the pass, but #25 against the run. Teams ran the ball on us and therefore passed the ball less. It's a very misleading stat.

Now if the Broncos were #1 against the pass ALONG with being in the top 5 against the run THEN it would just mean they have a very stout defense. The Broncos, however, do not have a stout defense.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read that Champ Bailey got hurt in the Chargers game? I didn't watch it, so I didn't here anything about this til just now.

Link from PFT..

Evidently its a pulled left quad, and we all know muscle pulls can linger and nag at a player for weeks. (hello, gregorious)

If he were to somehow miss the Monday night game in 2 weeks, you gotta believe we'll stomp tha yard....

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Just read that Champ Bailey got hurt in the Chargers game? I didn't watch it, so I didn't here anything about this til just now.

Link from PFT..

Evidently its a pulled left quad, and we all know muscle pulls can linger and nag at a player for weeks. (hello, gregorious)

If he were to somehow miss the Monday night game in 2 weeks, you gotta believe we'll stomp tha yard....
That would be huge. Bailey is a top 5 corner.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Link from PFT..

Top 3 easily, and I think you'd have trouble arguing that he's not THE best in the league.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
pack_in_black said:

Link from PFT..

Top 3 easily, and I think you'd have trouble arguing that he's not THE best in the league.
True. I'm biased though with our 2 corners.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
MidwestFavreFan said:
pack_in_black said:

Link from PFT..

True. I'm biased though with our 2 corners.

lol, that's why I said "top 3", Chuck/Al being an interchangeable 1/2.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope Bailey plays. I think we can beat them with or without Bailey. 1. if bailey plays, that will force us to run more, which is something we need to do, and something MM wants to do, and 2. if bailey doesn't play I'll have to listen to Terrel Davis ignorantly state over and over that that is the only reason we won the game.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am actually going to be at that game...am visiting my best bud in Denver and he got tickets. Obviously, I'm pretty pumped about seeing the Pack on MNF. :)

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynch is a second or third ballot Hall of Famer. He was always the third best defender in Tampa (behind Brooks and Sapp).

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it has come out now but I just heard that WR Javon Walker is out indefinitely with his knee and is expected to have surgery soon.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers don't lie but they can be very, very, misleading which is the case here.

Denver is #1 in passing yards allowed at 145ypg. The ONLY positive catagory they are #1 in.
Denver is #1 in passes thrown against at 20 per game and three teams have thrown 20 times or less against them. Of course these teams were running all over the Broncos so they didn't have to pass it

Some teams are averaging TWICE as many passes thrown at them as Denver. The passing yards allowed figures does NOT hold this into consideration.

Denver is next to dead last in TD's allowed per pass attempt giving up a TD for every 14.6 passs thrown at them and they allow a poor 67% of passes thrown to be completed.

Now THOSE are significant numbers.

This actually smells just like what we saw as a team in '05. Teams beat our lights out running the ball and only passed on us occasionally so we end up with great pass defense numbers but a lousy defense.

We'll see how good their pass defense is a week from Monday but I believe we have seen much better pass defenses then what these guys can put up.

Just because teams have not thrown it much because they haven't had to doesn't mean Denver is good at it and that's the only thing in the numbers I see here.

Good Point warhawk ,

when I initially posted this subject I was in a bit of a hurry and had failed to look at all the stats and how they impact each other. Thanks for pointing these other stats out as it's a prime example of why we should be looking at more than just one.

Cheers friend :packbeer:

Members online

Latest posts