Denver's Pass D Worries ?

Reaction score
Perhaps the pass D stats are inflated a little?

Because Denver is so weak against the run, teams are choosing to run more than pass, hence Denver's strong numbers against the Pass?

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had a bye week already, so it's inflated.

But yes... with Champ Bailey on one side and Dre Bly on the other... they're just as good, if not better, than Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

They even have a future hall of fame safety in John Lynch.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Perhaps the pass D stats are inflated a little?

Because Denver is so weak against the run, teams are choosing to run more than pass, hence Denver's strong numbers against the Pass?

Good point. Just like our #1 pass defense in 2005.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't John Lynch also head up a top rated Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense some years ago? Which Favre drilled holes in...? I believe their defense was better than the Broncos defense now.

What I am more worried about and most people who have travelled to Denver knows this already is being able to acclimate to the high altitude where the oxygen is very thin. It takes a couple days before you acclimate. I hope the Packers get there early so that they can do this... I'd hate to see them gasping for air late in the game...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Denver was undefeated WITH the number one pass Defense id be scared.

If Denver wasnt 2-3 overall and 1-2 at home id be scared.

If Denver didnt get destroyed by a team we beat id be scared.

If we didnt have Brett Favre on a Monday Night... id be scared.

I think we will handle the Bronc's especially after a bye week.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about them being the best in pass defense. The Redskins were good too. But we found a way to win!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time envisioning John Lynch in the HOF. Very good player, but short of that lofty status.

LeRoy Butler is the next safety that SHOULD enter the HOF.....we was the safety of the 1990's just as Ronnie Lott was in the 1980's. In fact, one could argue that the way LeRoy was used, and more importantly the way he played the game, changed the landscape for NFL defenses. Remember, sateties used to be corners that could not run and were basically support players in defensive schemes. Today, thanks to the Pack and LeRoy, to a great extent, the safety is the most critical element to many defenses...the straw that stirs the defensive cocktail, as it were.

For all the talent we had on our SB defenses, particularly the DL, it was still #36 that made that kitty purr.

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a run game battle this will be.. It's the Resistible Force vs. the Movable Object.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted something here

Denvers D stats vs Packers D

I know lot of people wanted him to stay here, so thought it would be interesting to see how they are doing

And this is based on 5 games for Den and 6 games for GB

Den
points per game 27.2
46% of 3rd downs made
giving up 146 yards passing per game and a total of 7 tds
4 int, 2 fumbles, 9 sacks
q/b passer rating 96.2
188 rushing yards per game , 5.2 per att

GB
points per game 17.8
34% of 3rd downs made
giving up 224 yards per game and a total of 9 tds
6 int, 3 fumbles , 15 sacks
q/b passer rating 79.9
100 rushing yards per game, 3.9 per att

~~~~~~~~~~~

Just like Gb was 2 years ago...Why are teams pasisng on them if they can run like crazy, or if they are leading teams wont pass, they will run to drain down the clock..

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe b-jack can show us all that quick burst he has, seeing as how the Broncos have such a poor run defense.

hopefully we will finally see a packer RB carry the ball at least 20-25 times.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the competition and there's less to be worried about.

Denver has played ONE good passing team(Indy). Two teams they played are near the very bottom in pass offense and only Jacksonville is below 20(19th) other than Indy.

Also, a couple of teams TORCHED them on the ground. When you've got that going like that the passing stats are going to be down. San Diego CAN pass it but they ran nuts on Denver.

I actually LIKE the Denver game because they have been weak against the run which should allow our offense to be successful moving the ball. This is the kind of game Favre can drive the defense nuts.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am also hoping GB has a big game but remember this is Denver in late Oct so anything is possible, but I would really like to see a GB blowout!! I fear a tight lowscroing game where weather might be a factor!! Pray for 52-3 so I can sleep comfortably monday night!!!
Pack88

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to work that night, so I am going to try and not to look here, or other forums, nfl.com or the radio..I will dvr it and maybe not fast forward the game to the end

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds like a really good test for the Packers. If they make an honest effort to run the ball and they still struggle, we'll know they've got real problems with the run game.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We HAVE to win just to shut that prickT. Davis up.

If we win I REALLY want to hear what he has to say on NFLnetwork afterwards. I doubt we will hear him man up like he should.

You can bet the other guys on there are going to nail him pretty good if the Pack wins this game. He'll probably call in sick.

Jerk.

Duves

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also believe Jim Bates is the DC for the Broncos.....

I wonder what he'll bring since he's worked against Brett in practice for a year or 2......

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said this a while back:

The Denver Broncos(week 8 opponent) has one of the WORST running defenses in the league(yards and average). THAT is a game to look at. Judge the running game off THAT game, not when we face top 10 running defenses, which is what the Eagles and Giants are(Chicago is 11th).

Week 8. That's the game to judge. They have a bad running D and a good passing D. Till then, we play teams with BAD passing D's and GOOD running D's.

Till then, why worry? Let our running backs get experience and healthy, and let Brett Favre and his pals make opposing pass defenses look like a joke.

-------------------------------------------------------

You couldn't ask for anything better than this. We play a team that's defensive strength should cancel out our offensive strength. The big thing is...GB is going to be coming off of a bye week, rested, studied, and prepared to do whatever they have to do to beat them(like running the ball).

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry, but i do not get the idea that to gauge where the running game is you want to play the team with the worst rushing defense, then see where the running attack is.

wouldn't you want to be able to run against teams that are strong against the run, then say, we are pretty good in the running game.

why jujdge the running attack against the worst team in the NFL?

Members online

Latest posts