Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here we go again, I never said anyone did. But the Sean McVay coaching tree is a popular source right now for coaches all over the league. Brandon Staley just moved down the street to be the HC of the Chargers, although it could be said that Staley may hail more from Vic Fangio.

The point is that everyone who mentioned Evero as being a good candidate talked about all of his connections to very successful defensive coaches.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What I like from Leonhard is his (perceived or real) ability to elevate his defenses above the sum of their parts. Wisconsin tends not to get a great number of excellent players, and yet the defense is consistently good.

I think this sums up exactly why Leonhard is such a good coach. The Badgers do not get top 10 or even really top 25 recruits when it comes to the defense. Yet, Leonhard's defenses have ranked pretty high in most categories on a consistent basis. My concern would be this, can Leonhard's formula for getting 18-22 year olds to play individually and collectively better than their individual talents might indicate, to work on older players at the NFL level?

The good news for Badger fans, word is out on the Badger Linebackers and the success that many of them have had in the NFL. This has really helped with the recruiting efforts of some highly rated High School defensive players.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he can, he played in the nfl himself on 6 different teams. He knows how to interact with fully grown men and what it takes to motivate them imo. I really hope he interviews well.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kris Richards going to NO as Secondary Coach.
He seemed like a rising star and then the hype just seemed to dry up.

After Garrett was fired, he was let go and couldn't find more than a DB's coach offer. He refused to go back to being a position coach, so he sat out of football in 2020.

He's a really murky candidate to me in a lot of ways.

1. He was highly successful as a DC in Seattle, but how much of that was Carroll? A number of guys have come off that Seattle defensive coaching tree, and they haven't been all that impressive (Bradley, Quinn). That system hasn't done much outside of Seattle, and even in Seattle it's begun to peter out.

2. Dallas' scoring defense was virtually identical in 2017 (before Richard arrive) and in 2018-19 (while he was there). So it's hard to see a tangible impact of his arrival.

3. Dallas' defense declined dramatically in 2020, after he left. But Marinelli also left, so it's hard to discern what really caused the drop off.

4. Why did the hype just disappear? He got a lot of interviews there for a while. Do teams not like him?

5. What does it say about him that he was unwilling to take a position coach gig and keep working in 2020?

I am not opposed to the idea, but there are too many question marks for me to feel strong about him.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what I'm seeing it's Leonhard whom I love...or Kiffin who has the pedigree as his dad Monty Kiffin won multiple rings with the Redskins in the 80's. I'd be happy either way, but I'd be ecstatic with Leonhard.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kris Richards going to NO as Secondary Coach.

Saw that!

I'm kind of relieved to be honest. Maybe he will turn out to be the defensive wunderkind that some media types have pegged him as in recent years, but I just have my doubts.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They must not be that high on Jerry Gray, otherwise they would have given him the job without interviewing anyone else like they did with Drayton.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They must not be that high on Jerry Gray, otherwise they would have given him the job without interviewing anyone else like they did with Drayton.

They're high enough to be considering him.

My understanding with Drayton is that they moved quickly because other teams were interested. Had that not been the case, maybe we would have seen more due diligence.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Former Packers Defensive Backs coach Joe Whitt Jr., who was rumored to be a potential replacement for Capers when he was fired, has moved on to his 4th team in 4 years. Packers--->Browns--->Falcons--->Cowboys.

I guess Mike McCarthy must really like him, he has the same job as he had under Mike....secondary coach and passing game coordinator

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, nobody was going to be retained for the Falcons. But leaving the Browns is troubling.

Reaction score
I don't know much about these potential replacements, but I know that we need to improve on defense. We need to make some player changes too though, not just coaching. I hope the front office plans to improve our defense through the draft and free agency.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There’s a certain group of NFL coaches who fall in the “I’m still here because I’m tight with Mike” category.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know much about these potential replacements, but I know that we need to improve on defense. We need to make some player changes too though, not just coaching. I hope the front office plans to improve our defense through the draft and free agency.
Nope. Not going to happen. FO won't invest another dime or draft pick on improving the defense. They expect the new DC to be a miracle worker and make diamonds from coal dug out of the **** heap.
:rolleyes:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm guessing this is a dead heat between Evero and Leonhard.....maybe Gray can impress?

I like the coaching influences Burke has that were outlined by @Dantés....but why not interview Jim Schwartz and Marvin Lewis themselves? Until Pederson was fired I thought Schwartz wouldn't be available but now he is.

D

Deleted member 6794

Leonhard played in the league for 10 years, with multiple franchises and worked with multiple NFL coaches some of who were very good. He also had a reputation for being an on field coach and a well regarded leader towards the end of his career.

Don't get me wrong, I think Leonhard would be a good choice but him not having coached at the pro level should be considered.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about these potential coaches, I'm depending on you guys for that, but I'm wondering if the big push for Leonhard is because he's a Wisconsin guy and a favorite here. I read somewhere where he's considered a sort of disciple of Pettine. If so, that's two strikes right there for me.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about these potential coaches, I'm depending on you guys for that, but I'm wondering if the big push for Leonhard is because he's a Wisconsin guy and a favorite here. I read somewhere where he's considered a sort of disciple of Pettine. If so, that's two strikes right there for me.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the philosphy behind Pettine's defense. There were obvious breakdowns in communications or getting players on the same page. That's not a scheme problem it's a coaching problem, or a player inability problem. I have no problem with bringing in a similar minded coach, i actually prefer it. The further they stray from the current defensive philosophy, the longer it's going to take to get the players that we have that fit the scheme up to speed and bring others on board and get them all playing together.

I am biased of course. Watched him, the little guy from little Tony, WI work his way up to the big boys and then the big big boys and had a lot of success. I think he had to work twice as hard and learn twice as much to overcome where he came from and he did it because he enjoyed it. Guys that work hard are good ones to bet on. I think he knows defense and I think he'd be a good communicator and can relate to NFL players despite not coaching at that level yet.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Mike Pettine does not need to be fired, but rather could just be allowed to walk given that his contract has expired, I am optimistic that the Packers are gearing up to make a change.

So I am hopefully getting ahead of things a bit here and wanted to a create a thread to discuss replacement candidates.

Here are my favorites.
  • Chris Hewitt, Pass Defense Coordinator, Ravens: After stints at Notre Dame and Rutgers, the Ravens hired Hewitt to be their DB's coach in 2012. In 2020, he came their pass defense coordinator. The Ravens were 5th in pressure % and 7th in QB Rating allowed, despite not getting lucky with lots of turnovers (they were bottom 5 in INT %). I've heard really good things about him.
  • Ejiro Evero, Safeties, Rams: @Fredrik87 brought this guy up and I really like what I see. Evero's excellent work with safeties has been evident in LA, but he also has a cool background in terms of guys he's worked under: Monte Kiffin, Jim Bates, Vic Fangio, Dom Capers, Wade Phillips, and Brandon Staley. So his pedigree is strong and the results of his work with his position group speaks for itself. He would be about as likely as anyone to be able to successful coach Fangio's system that's been so successful lately.
  • Mike Caldwell, Linebackers, Buccaneers: Worked under Jim Johnson and Sean McDermott in Philly and was the LB coach for Bowles in both Arizona and Tampa Bay, where they had some really strong defenses. Kacy Rodgers is the other TB name out there; he could be a better option for all I know, but his background is with DL, and LB coaches tend to succeed as coordinators more often.
  • Dave Borgonzi, Linebackers, Colts: Worked under Lovie Smith and Mike Smith in Tampa Bay before becoming Eberflus's LB coach in Indianapolis. Has done pretty solid work with their linebackers over the last three seasons.
  • Steve Russ, Linebackers, Washington: Russ has previous defensive coordinator experience at Air Force, and has been a LB coach under Rivera since 2018. Rivera is a great mentor both in defensive football and leadership.
Great list, thanks. I'd probably go with anyone from the Ravens or Steelers, where D is a priority, or anyone who has worked under Todd Bowles.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I think Leonhard would be a good choice but him not having coached at the pro level should be considered.

It should, I look at his playing experience as mitigating but not removing that defect.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has done better at Madison than Aranda. And I love Aranda. Leonard has done better. I would love to see a young innovative mind.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda mad we didn't get any news today. All we know is obviously Wade Phillips and Kris Richard won't be the next DC. I doubt MLF finished all the interviews but I figure the best way to know if somebody didn't get selected is if they took a job elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.