Decline of Mike McCarthy

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels wanted the GB job, but he had other things he wanted that Gute and Murphy weren’t willing to give him!! Idk how many times I’ve gotta say this. He declined at that point...they didn’t chose Lafleur because he was the “best” or “first” option. One day it’ll all come out haha.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels wanted the GB job, but he had other things he wanted that Gute and Murphy weren’t willing to give him!! Idk how many times I’ve gotta say this. He declined at that point...they didn’t chose Lafleur because he was the “best” or “first” option. One day it’ll all come out haha.

Probably couldn't find a Packers visor he liked.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels wanted the GB job, but he had other things he wanted that Gute and Murphy weren’t willing to give him!! Idk how many times I’ve gotta say this. He declined at that point
If McDaniels was making demands the Packers weren't willing to meet, then I wouldn't characterize it as "he declined". Sounds more like a mutual decision not to work together at most.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like what?

Gute: we like you. We want you. But you gotta bring Belichick with you.
Josh: wut? That's not possible.
Gute: Eff off.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite a damning interview from Bakht.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...ils-packers-festering-lack-of-accountability/

I was surprised with Mark Murphy talked about lack of accountability when hiring MattLF. It was a very public and clear statement that the problems were more ingrained into culture rather than just play-calling lapses. And Bakht interview provides more evidence.

Bakht says there was no accountability for any of the players actions. Being late for meetings or flight and overall breakdown in discipline that went ingored.

Honestly, I'm glad we sacked MM as a cultural detioration in dressing room is far more dangerous than just on-field flaws. It sets a bad precedent for young players and a cause for downward spiral for veterans.

Feels like McCarthy just gave up being a HC and was just along for the ride past few seasons. We should have sacked him a couple of years earlier, it looks like.

Looks like MattLF has lots of work in his hands, not just in gameplan, but in backroom too.

Looks like there was a partial cleansing with trades of the cb to the Browns prior to the season, then HaHa and Montgomery. Locker room cancers can be a big problem, I agree.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say that his brother who died a couple days after losing the NFCCG to the seahawks was a big loss,and contributed to the downward spiral(all but the Run the Table) of this team. No matter what anyone says,that was a lot to happen to someone in that span. Also,his being so stubborn and holding on to Capers 4 years too long really hurt the team I think.

And before that hanging on to Slocum for 4 years too long, then replacing him with Zook. Special teams weren't MM's strong suit.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly why I have reciever as a top level need.

The other option I see is Ryan Grant. He would be on the cheaper side of a 1 year type deal. I would prefer him over Beasley. Grant is serviceable and durable and would be there while a guy we draft is being groomed. I'm open to other options as well.

Ryan Grant had over 4000 rushing yards for GB, but he'll be 37 this year.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, I knew. I just had ear surgery today, the codeine pills apparently made me think it was amusing.

Reaction score
If we’re going to pick up a veteran I’d prefer a trade deal. There’s just not much in FA right now. Tough year for WRs.
Or If we got Dez on a cheap prove it deal kinda like we did Breeland. Assuming he’s fully recovered, of course.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If we’re going to pick up a veteran I’d prefer a trade deal. There’s just not much in FA right now. Tough year for WRs.
Or If we got Dez on a cheap prove it deal kinda like we did Breeland. Assuming he’s fully recovered, of course.

Yeah a colleague and I were scouring through the expected free agents today and there isnt much. I don't know if Dez helps us at this stage and I would rather play the young guys if he is the vet option.

Reaction score
Yeah a colleague and I were scouring through the expected free agents today and there isnt much. I don't know if Dez helps us at this stage and I would rather play the young guys if he is the vet option.
Well. I wasn’t a fan the other year, but if NO picked him up they saw something. At least Dez has the career to back it up. As you said who ever we pick outside there will be a risk. Also, I always factor in that Rodgers makes guys look better than they really are. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him with Aaron slinging it around 1000 yards. We could use some immediate firepower at a cheap price.
It would give these young guys another year to develop. It’s similar to the year we brought JJ back from Oakland. Having Davante, Dez and MVS could be formidable

Reaction score
I see some free agent stop gap options at guard and safety which tells me were gonna draft a receiver early.
I’ve suspected some help in the Safety arena. An OL FA also seems to fit our MO. But I think they’ll step the grade up a notch this year.
Also there’s a chance that “Different Coach different mindset”

D

Deleted member 6794

Well. I wasn’t a fan the other year, but if NO picked him up they saw something. At least Dez has the career to back it up. As you said who ever we pick outside there will be a risk. Also, I always factor in that Rodgers makes guys look better than they really are. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him with Aaron slinging it around 1000 yards. We could use some immediate firepower at a cheap price.
It would give these young guys another year to develop. It’s similar to the year we brought JJ back from Oakland. Having Davante, Dez and MVS could be formidable

The Packers made the right decision not signing Bryant last season and shouldn't be interested in him now.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had Mo Wilkerson stayed healthy. The complexion of the defense may have been different. Without pressure from the middle, edge rushers just flush the qb and don't get many sacks. I think Gute will trade down and pick up another third round pick. Given the depth in this year's draft with d linemen, it isn't too improbable to see Gute going d line and edge in the first and second round and picking up perhaps Hockensen and a wr in the first and third round or he will bundle a few picks to trade up into the second to land a slot receiver. With the salary cap and available free agents, I'd like to see Gute go after o linemen and safeties. Agree that TT disasterous final 3 drafts left the team in a mess but with AR, Adams, Bakt, Jones, Alexander, Clark and Martinez, the Packers are only a few key pieces away from kicking a**. The huge question is can Gute find a decent rg, replace Cobb and add enough d line talent to get a consistent pass rush? If he does, the Packers can goist the Lombardi trophy very soon. There were no juggernaut teams in the playoffs this year. They all looked very beatable. Its not that far to the top at the present time.

It didn't help to lose Daniels and later Clark in the middle either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://fox11online.com/news/local/...l-basketball-incident-involving-mike-mccarthy

I suppose he thought he should one up Fran McCaffery while yelling at the officials still on the floor. This is just weird tbh.
They like to create stories don't they? I heard the lead in last night and had to watch it. " Goes after officials" more after the break. A couple things about that, i have no idea what transpired before hand, and as a general rule refs take a lot of guff and it should be limited.

But I would bet my house that many of those refs were just fine and dandy talking with MM when he was the coach after a game, but wanted nothing to do with him after this game because of some controversy in a playoff game. He didn't "go after" them in any other sense than it looked like a "hey Joe, what's the deal with that" context and not a"I'm coming to kick your *** for ******** this game" context. There's a difference. Especially if any of those referees sat around a talked with MM when he was the coach after a game.

It's a crappy video in terms of quality, but you see him come down and try to engage them, they just keep walking and he turns around and leaves. he doesn't go after, lunge after, grab after, get in the face of, or anything. I guarantee that if the "man" isn't Mike McCarthy, nobody even knows that occurred.