Daryn Colledge and Mike Wahle are very similar

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are more similarities between Daryn Colledge and Mike Wahle than the extensive tattoos they have on their upper arms.

There's the athleticism, the intelligence, the explosiveness and the attitude.

It makes you wonder if the Green Bay Packers were looking for a clone of Wahle, the talented left guard they released last year after being unable to meet his contract demands. Especially after they inserted the second-round pick from Boise State at Wahle's old starting position on his first day at minicamp.

"I think that would be very unfair to say that about him," general manager Ted Thompson said. "They've got some similar characteristics, but he'll have to be his own man. There are some similarities, yes, but they were different players in college. They have similar size and frame, they both can run, they both have quickness, they're both intelligent.

"But I don't think it's fair to say he's Mike Wahle."

If the Packers are lucky, he will be. There's no question Thompson was intrigued by Colledge's athleticism the same way he was when he conducted a personal workout of Wahle in the thick California fog in 1998. Numbers for that workout are hard to find, but those who are familiar with them say they compare almost equally with Colledge's.

At the scouting combine in Indianapolis, Colledge ran the third-fastest 40-yard dash time of any offensive lineman (5.05 seconds), had the second-best vertical leap (32½ inches), tied for the third-best broad jump (9 feet 2 inches), ran the third-fastest cone drill (7.46 seconds) and posted an impressive 30 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. He measured 6 feet 4¼ inches and 299 pounds, which is about 2 inches shorter and 5 pounds lighter than what Wahle was coming out of the Naval Academy.

Colledge, who began his Packers career making the transition from tackle to guard, said he is aware of the comparisons with Wahle, who earned his first Pro Bowl berth last season playing for the Carolina Panthers. But he scoffed at the notion he was going to be able to fill his shoes any time soon.

"I don't think it's fair to Mike," Colledge said during a break between practices. "He's a great player, an established player, and I'm a rookie trying to find a spot on a team. So I hope one day I can be a player like that, but for right now I'm just a guy trying to earn a job."

There are plenty of National Football League coaches and scouts who might be surprised at Colledge's response. Their impression is that he has too high an opinion of himself and they worry he might be someone who won't take coaching very well.

At the combine, Colledge turned off a lot of people with his self-assuredness during the 10-minute interview sessions he had with various teams. The Packers were not one of those teams.

"Our guys liked him," Thompson said. "He spoke well. He's a man who believes he can play. I don't know that that's a bad thing. You've got to put on a good face at the combine because you're interviewing for a job and that might be what happened. We did a lot of checking and we spoke to a lot of people there (at Boise State). We didn't think it was a problem."

Colledge said some people might have gotten the wrong impression from his interviews, but he said he was merely conducting the sessions as if he were applying for a job at Microsoft. He said he didn't think it was a good idea to make it seem like he was just happy to go from tiny North Pole, Alaska, and a mid-major university to the NFL.

He said he wanted to make it clear he was going to succeed on the next level.

"I never felt I've been a cocky person," Colledge said. "I'm confident in my ability. I didn't want any of those guys to think that I didn't have the belief I could come in and be a contributor. I didn't want them to think I was going to sit back and have a small-town mentality about it.

"Yeah, I took them seriously. I'm not going to waste their time. They have a job to do and they're paying good money to be here and I wanted them to know I was serious about coming to their city and helping them out."

Basically, Colledge told them what he could do in the pros, how he performed in college and what his strengths and weaknesses were. He said he does not regret approaching the sessions as a job interview because he said it partly reflected the chip on his shoulder he has had getting to this level.

It's a chip that might rub people the wrong way, but Colledge said it has driven him to where he is now. Those who take the time to get to know him will realize where he's coming from.

"I think they'll realize a locker-room guy, a good guy to be around," Colledge said. "I'm a great teammate and hopefully we can be together a long time and win some championships. I'm not here to lose games. I'm here to win games and win championships."

The Packers have been impressed with Colledge's ability to pull and fire out and block linebackers, but they also know he needs work in the weight room. He tied for 23rd in bench-press testing at the combine with 21 repetitions of 225 pounds.

"He's explosive like we thought he was," coach Mike McCarthy said. "Very quick hands. You could see that in the three-step pass-rush drills that we did yesterday. He's able to get to the second level, which is really important in the lead zone run scheme. It's something you saw at Boise. He's able to get to the second level. He looks good."

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this kid is fast and agile but the problem is he is small. If he does not improve his technique and learn to finish off a block he is going to get dominated by NFL calibur players. Alot of GB's O-Line efficiency is probably depending on this kid.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The linemen have to be small, that is the thing about zone blocking. Denver has the smallest o-line of the league. Do they get dominated by d linemen? No they have among the best of all the lines in the league, same with Atlanta. Green Bay had one of the largest lines last year and it didn't help them at all.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed is the key. They do not have to be small to be agile.
Colledge is the same size as D'brick Ferguson. He is fine.

I thought Whitticker moved fine for a big guy last year. With some experience and good off season he will improve.

Who accepts the coaching and can play in the new scheme the best will be the right OG. Barry is not the guy. He hear Coston will compete with Whitticker. Coston though is more suited to Center. Whitticker should be the guy until another player proves better.

O-line is the area of greatest coaching need. The new system will take a while. Deciding on the players who starts should be done within the first 3 practices with pads.

We will see on August 12th how the scheme performs.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that guys. That was not my point. The point is that they have to be extremely agressive and finish off blocks. These guys in college all were fast and agile but when it came to the actual block they were not aggressive.

I know all about the zone-blocking scheme and its true that you need fast guys but thats only half the battle. If you get dominated when it comes to actually blocking the whole scheme will look like a disorganized train wreck.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he gets dominated...he won't start. Whats the problem?

All reports are that he's pretty good(and will only get better).

If he tanks, he wont play (rightfully so).

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the problem is he does not pan out then who? ALL 3 of the O-Lineman they drafted are basically the same. Very Fast and agile but not the most aggressive at finishing off a block. When you are 20-50 lbs lighter than the guys you are blocking you better maul em like a dog and use proper technique.

These guys are Raw and need to learn proper hip technique and improve thier leg strength or they will be pushed around like rag dolls. I am not saying they suck by any means but playing against NFL calibur players will be different than playing in the WAC or whatever. I can't see them adjusting right away

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they're all the same?

come on, pyle. Different sizes,speeds, DRIVES.

Some people just have more desire than other talented folks, and they outperform them(Aaron Kampman)

But all reports are the boys are doin well...i dont get it.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that they have the physical talent to do the job, they just need to be coached, and our offensive coordinator was a very good offensive line coach so it should work out alright.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly SuperRat. They are rookies and unpolished. Can they be coached to step up, certainly.

The problem is that the knock on alot of these guys is at the point of attack. We all know they are quick and athletic enough to get to the block but when they get there they must finish. When you are undersized, TECHNIQUE is everything. All 3 of these guys do not use the proper technique. I know that they were standouts in college but the NFL is a whole different animal. I am not saying that these guys will flop or can't be coached however they have 3-4 months to change something they have been doing one way thier whole life.

I know everyone wants to paint this pretty picture because we brought in 3 guys via the draft but they still have to produce. I don't know how many of you have had actual playing/coaching experience or are familiar with a true zone-blocking scheme but anyone that is will tell you that it is effective ONLY if ran properly. If it is not it will resemble a train wreck.

Also, I think alot of you guys do not understand that the system is not used on passing downs. These guys are awfully small and need to improve their leg strength to be able to avoid being completely bullrushed in to Brett's lap.

I know there is high optimism for this team right now but to say the O-Line situation is solved is a little premature. I am just simply pointing out that just becauase we have bodies for the spots it truly still comes down to rookies who must change in 3 months to prevent a disaster, which you will see if these guys don't put guys on thier *****.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems likely that only one rookie will be starting. Wells and Coston seem to have the fast track to the other spots. They are only one year vets and undoubtly need to improve still but they do have some experience. The Packers have had good success with rookie linemen though so hopefully that success continues.

Members online

Latest posts