1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cuts are Up: Herron and Morency gone.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackOne, Aug 30, 2008.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    http://packers.com/

The Green Bay Packers released 19 players and placed three on injured reserve. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Saturday.

Released Saturday were wide receiver Jake Allen, cornerback Scorpio Babers, defensive tackle Conrad Bolston, center Brennen Carvalho, safety Tyrone Culver, linebacker Spencer Havner, tight end Joey Haynos, running back Noah Herron, guard Ryan Keenan, linebacker Danny Lansanah, defensive tackle Alfred Malone, running back Vernand Morency, defensive tackle Daniel Muir, cornerback Joe Porter, wide receiver Johnny Quinn, wide receiver Taj Smith, wide receiver Brett Swain, tackle Orrin Thompson and fullback Corey White.

Defensive tackle Rodney Allen, center Junius Coston and long snapper J.J. Jansen were placed on injured reserve.

EDIT: Lumpkin gets in as the third RB. Heh.

2. RainX

RainX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Re: Cuts are Up:

Obviously the biggest surprise out of this round of cuts is that they kept Lumpkin over Morency and Herron. They must really like the kid if they feel he can be the third down back without keeping a 4th HB. Muir was my only other surprise cut at this point considering how much they liked him last year. Not happy we kept Jarrett Bush though. What they see in that guy is beyond me.

3. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So do we still need to add another defensive tackle and a long snapper to the roster?

If so, 2 cuts would still have to be made.

4. RainX

RainX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Right now I'd say yes on paper as far as being a bit thin at DT. Montgomery and Jenkins do have the versatility to move inside and they usually only activate 3 DTs on the 45 man game day roster anyways. I imagine they'll probably try to at least get Muir, Bolston, or Malone on the PS squad though.

Yes, they do need to add a LS in theory, unless they think one of the guys on the current roster can handle the job. I don't think they're done making moves yet. Probably will scour the waiver wires to try and see if they can't pick someone up. I'm interested to see who they'll pick up for the practice squad though. A lot of good candidates out of that group of cuts.

SO glad we also kept 7 LBs. It's by far the deepest position on the team and all those guys deserved to make the final roster.

5. NFL_GEEK

NFL_GEEK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    wow! wasn't Brett Swain just drafted this year in the 08 draft? already cut...man, that is sad to hear

6. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He WAS a 7th round pick though. Not every player drafted can make the roster, unfortunately.

Personally I would have preferred keeping Herron and dumping Kuhn, and then dumping Culver or Peprah and keeping another the DT.

7. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Holy crap! Noah is gone? I wanted to make bedpost jokes all year long, now I have to settle for Blumpkin ones. YES!

But seriously, I don't see what made them decide Lumkin is better than Herron, but they're the ones who get paid for that stuff.

I'm shocked though.

Lets get ready for some football!

8. MajicMan

MajicMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't complain. I have always liked Herron's moter, but I guess Lumpkin has plenty of fight also.
    I heard that Morency was doing a good job of picking up the blitz...But when in doubt TT, will always go with youth...Would have liked to have a rec back, but whatever...Thinking TT might bring in a Lamont Jordan or something...Haha...No chance. We'll see how things go. I gotta give'em credit, he has a plan and he sticks to it.

9. mike bat

mike bat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    they must know somthing about this Lumkin kid ... he seems like a strong runner ... also when they gave him a shot to get on the field he did run well ... that says alot ... some olny get one shot ,,, way to make the most of it ... im still supprised that noah is gone ..

10. brnt247

brnt247 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jarret Bush is wrongfully hated in my opinion. He does some things that most corners around the league have forgotten to do, tackle. He can play up close or deep and still make plays in the run game or short passing game. He has let a few plays get by him, but there aren't many nickel or dime backs that haven't. Just because we have guys like Harris and Woodson on the corners doesn't mean we should expect that type of production out of our backups.