1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Curly's Pub dumped for a "unique dining experience"

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by weeds, Apr 29, 2015.

1. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,231
  2. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Sheesh, from your reaction I thought they were putting in an upscale restaurant. It sounds like they are just renaming Curly's Pub and changing some of the menu items. No need to crap anything unusual just yet, unless it's the aftermath of a unique dining experience.

3. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,042
  4. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,069
  5. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,983
    I liked Curly's pub! Shame. But it's the only time I've been to Lambeau, so my opinion is probably skewed by a one time experience.

6. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +964
    Pack yourself a cheese sandwich the next time you visit this dining establishment regardless of what it's called. Cheese is a WI tie that binds.

7. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +653
    booooooo! I know change is good, but at the same time...boooooooooooo

:)

8. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Keep the bacon cheeseburger and we're good! Best damn bacon cheeseburger in the state!

9. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +509
    Change is not always good.

10. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Moving it from 2nd floor to 1st floor

• Like Like x 1
  11. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +568
    I can understand the relocation but why rename it?

12. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +964
    Best guess is economics. Sales may not have been adequate enough to retain the identity. Nothing else makes sense since it does have such nostalgic significance.

13. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +568
    I always felt the location on the 2nd level was a detriment.
    One night my wife and I had to wait on the stairs to get in.
    But overall it always seemed well attended when we went there.
    I just don't see the name as being a negative.
    We met and talked with Donald Driver one afternoon when we went there for lunch. My wife was thrilled as he was her favorite Packers player.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PackerFever

PackerFever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    A Place that would allow a guy like Weeds in there??? I am a little leary.... ;) J/K I will probably go in there every time I am in GB, I wish they would have kept the name of Curly's. I am sure they will incorporate Curly and the rest off Packer Lore into everything but Curly's name could have been retained and grown.

15. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    As someone who has walking issues, it is a bad detriment for me to try to get up there last summer. Hopefully the move makes it more accessible.

16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Unfortunately an old stadium like Lambeau isn't ideal for retrofitting universal design standards, but they can work on making it better in increments. Maybe this move plays into that.

17. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +509
    Purely marketing. IMO Curly's pub does nothing to make me want to check the place out. I get it that Curly is a historic name associated with the Packers but it is too generic. 1919 Eatery and Tap on the other hand offers more intrigue. What is the 1919 all about? Will it have a 1919 theme? Eatery tells me that it is more than a tavern with some standard tavern fare which kind of what I think of when I hear the word pub. I go to a pub to have a greasy burger, fries and a cold brew. (except the Next Door Pub in Lake Geneva. Excellent pizza and wings) Tap? must have lots of beers on tap I wonder which ones? The new name makes me think about things like that and makes me want to check it out. Curly's pub? Not so much.

I also think it may not be a totally bad thing to disassociate the name from the Packers a little bit. Yes the place is in Lambeau Field and everyone knows it is associated with the Packers but to some people Curly's Pub in Lambeau FIeld might just be another sports bar and not what they are looking for in a dining experience. The name will draw people in once, after that it is up to the food to keep them coming back. I think the name change will help draw more people in.

18. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    The former Curly's Pub was in the Atrium which was a completely new building about a decade or so back. It was away fromthe stadium, thus no retrofitting required. It was just a poor location to keep space available for the ProShop on the first floor.
    The new label means I need a new $ouvenir $hirt. My "Curly's Pub" is now antiquated.

19. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,983
    I particularly like spreadable Wisconsin cheese.

20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    Move it to the first floor if you want, but don't kill Curly's. Certainly some bitter feelings from this fan.

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,641
    For anyone interested, 1919 Kitchen & Tab will open July 24.

22. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +490
    Curly's Pub took a crap once it was sold within the last couple of season to a new owner. Food was trash and service was horrible. Hopefully this upgrade fixes the bad rap it has received recently

• Informative Informative x 1