Could I suggest

• Thread starter I asked LT to delete my acct
  • Start date

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that in obvious passing situations you want to flood the passing zones with as many defenders as possible. But rushing at least 4 cuts the time the opponents WR's have to get free, and still leaves you with at least 7 defenders to cover no more than 5 receivers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The myth is that 3 man rushes are smart football. Did anyone notice in the first half of the Pittsburgh game last night how the Steelers rushed three times in the first half and got eaten alive. They stopped doing it and also stopped the Indy offense. Of course anything will work once in awhile and you will get beat when you use it also. It just is not smart and your lunch gets eaten too many times. It is a thing of the past and really was never good. If there had been 4 rushers against Rodgers; he may not have made it to the perfect spot to make the throw. I cringe whenever I see it.

Agree with the premise, but not with the categorization of 'myth', which is basically something people believe although it isn't true. I'd venture to say that, given a poll here, you'd get a significant majority of folks opting for the choice that 3-man rushes are NOT smart football. :)

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with the premise, but not with the categorization of 'myth', which is basically something people believe although it isn't true. I'd venture to say that, given a poll here, you'd get a significant majority of folks opting for the choice that 3-man rushes are NOT smart football. :)

Thank you guys for proving my point and continuing to perpetuate the 3 man rush rarely works. In LONG yardage situations it actually is effective. You guys can argue against it but sorry it's just the way it is.

There's a reason why almost all coaches in LONG yardage situations op for it. Cause having that extra defender in the defensive backfield cuts down on the chance of a blown coverage and helps make up for it when it does happen.

Once again this is simply a case of having selective memories and you might be right on that most "fans" would vote against it. I even said its a myth perpetauted by fans. Doesnt make them right. And as the old saying goes "As a coach once you let the fans start dictating anything that happens with your team you'll be watching the game in the stands with them soon enough."

Screw it though. Start a poll. Now I'm curious. One play and 50+ yards to go. Who's thinks rushing 4 or more is the way to go or do you vote to play coverage?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not familiar with setting up a poll in this format. Can someone either do it or tell me how?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think what some folks mean is that, even if the 3-man rush 'works' and generates pressure, a QB with any mobility at all has a really good chance of not getting sacked.

By having eight guys covering five receivers teams have a really good chance defending the pass as well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By having eight guys covering five receivers teams have a really good chance defending the pass as well.

Obviously, the more DBs, the better the coverage. I'm just falling back a bit on the old saw of "give ___ enough time, and he'll be able to find someone open". It's a matter of degree. If the five blockers plus the QBs mobility can buy him ___ seconds, some of those extra DBs may run into each other, trip, whatever. If your three rushers are good enough to limit the QB to ___ seconds, maybe nobody does come open. For us, as fans, the 3-man rush is horrible when it fails, and it's sort of ignored if the defense succeeds.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you guys for proving my point and continuing to perpetuate the 3 man rush rarely works. In LONG yardage situations it actually is effective. You guys can argue against it but sorry it's just the way it is.

There's a reason why almost all coaches in LONG yardage situations op for it. Cause having that extra defender in the defensive backfield cuts down on the chance of a blown coverage and helps make up for it when it does happen.

Once again this is simply a case of having selective memories and you might be right on that most "fans" would vote against it. I even said its a myth perpetauted by fans. Doesnt make them right. And as the old saying goes "As a coach once you let the fans start dictating anything that happens with your team you'll be watching the game in the stands with them soon enough."

Screw it though. Start a poll. Now I'm curious. One play and 50+ yards to go. Who's thinks rushing 4 or more is the way to go or do you vote to play coverage?

I vote for any play that works. If it doesn't work it was a horrible call.