Cornerback or safety?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been assuming all along that safety is a bigger need for the Packers than cornerback, but Pete Dougherty makes a pretty good point in this exchange with a Packer fan in his Monday chat on packersnews.com:

Packer fan: Do you think cornerback or safety is an area of greater need? I keep hearing safety, but you only typically play two safeties in a game and It seems like Underwood and Culver are good young options. On the other hand, you typically play 3-4 cornerbacks in a game and Blackmon is the only young guy with big-time potential on the team (and he's got a ways to go anyway). Your thoughts on this?

PETE DOUGHERTY: Close call, but I'd probably agree with you and go corner. They're harder to find, and you need so many of them in today's football because of all the nickel and dime defense played -- usually about half the snaps in the game, so the third corner is playing half a game. And with Woodson and Harris both long in the tooth, the Packers will need to replace them in a year or two.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I want Eric Weddle in round 2. He plays safety, corner, and can return kicks. Plus he's a smart player which is what we need at safety right now. Someone who understands the coverages.

He is one of my favorite prospects. However I'm so high on him that I believe he's going to be long gone by the time the Pack pick in round 2. Maybe trade down for him in round 1?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I agree that you can get safety to play nickel or dime, but I don't know if Weddle will be fast enough to cover man to man.

Reaction score
Greg I think you make a good point, but I have to respectfully disagree.

I think the main need for a CB (a #3 guy that can do a good job yet fill in decently should Al or C-Wood get injured) was addressed this off-season with the Frank Walker signing.

Ultimately, I think the Packers got themselves an insurance policy in case Blackmon didn't pan out this year. To me, the fact that they preferred an injured Blackmon to an Ahmad Carroll, one that could have been demoted to a #4 spot (instead of getting cut) with the intention of letting him learn some more and then groom him as a starter, says they view Blackmon as a better CB to groom as a starter.

Given Blackmon's injury history, I think they protected themselves by having a #3 CB in case Blackmon got injured again. I think paying Walker 1.24 million just to play ST and be a spot CB wasn't fair value... and we all know TT is big on deals fair to both sides.

So I think they addressed their CB situation for the most part this year with signing Walker, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went for a CB pick like Mike Hawkins (05): great tools and great potential, but will either be a hit or miss pick.

As for safety, I think they need someone on that position more desperately than at CB. Underwood is an unknown, Culver (despite all the positive things we heard about him) rarely saw the field, and Manuel doesn't fill anyone with confidence that he will be any better in the 07 season. There isn't a "just in case worst comes to worst" player that can step in if all things fail.

TT is a smart man, and I'd have to think he has seen the writing on the wall of signs that Manuel was a bust. I also think TT isn't one to bank all his hopes on an injured player that is returning to be the solution, so I think he may spend an early draft pick on S, because it is a position of greater need when compared to CB.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Greg I think you make a good point, but I have to respectfully disagree.

I think the main need for a CB (a #3 guy that can do a good job yet fill in decently should Al or C-Wood get injured) was addressed this off-season with the Frank Walker signing.

Ultimately, I think the Packers got themselves an insurance policy in case Blackmon didn't pan out this year. To me, the fact that they preferred an injured Blackmon to an Ahmad Carroll, one that could have been demoted to a #4 spot (instead of getting cut) with the intention of letting him learn some more and then groom him as a starter, says they view Blackmon as a better CB to groom as a starter.

Given Blackmon's injury history, I think they protected themselves by having a #3 CB in case Blackmon got injured again. I think paying Walker 1.24 million just to play ST and be a spot CB wasn't fair value... and we all know TT is big on deals fair to both sides.

So I think they addressed their CB situation for the most part this year with signing Walker, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went for a CB pick like Mike Hawkins (05): great tools and great potential, but will either be a hit or miss pick.

As for safety, I think they need someone on that position more desperately than at CB. Underwood is an unknown, Culver (despite all the positive things we heard about him) rarely saw the field, and Manuel doesn't fill anyone with confidence that he will be any better in the 07 season. There isn't a "just in case worst comes to worst" player that can step in if all things fail.

TT is a smart man, and I'd have to think he has seen the writing on the wall of signs that Manuel was a bust. I also think TT isn't one to bank all his hopes on an injured player that is returning to be the solution, so I think he may spend an early draft pick on S, because it is a position of greater need when compared to CB.

Good points AADP, but I disagree. I think TT stands pat at safety with what we have and drafts a corner in mold of Harris (Houston or Revis). I condone a trade down for an extra 2nd. Someone that can jam a receiver at the line of scrimmage and take him out of the play. I think we are going to be pleasanty surprised this year at the outcome of the camp battle for safety opposite Collins.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we get both a good safety and a good corner. But if I had to pick one I would also go with a guy that could do both, if we cant find that then I would pick a safety, just because Franks was thrown the ball alot and he seemed to do nothing with it. We need a great safety like Franks once was...

Reaction score
Good points AADP, but I disagree. I think TT stands pat at safety with what we have and drafts a corner in mold of Harris (Houston or Revis). I condone a trade down for an extra 2nd. Someone that can jam a receiver at the line of scrimmage and take him out of the play. I think we are going to be pleasanty surprised this year at the outcome of the camp battle for safety opposite Collins.

While I certainly don't mind Revis or Houston, I don't think TT's draft history is conductive of him taking players in the first couple of rounds with the intention that they'll sit for an extended period of time.

05:
- Collins (we desperately needed a S after cutting Sharper)
- Murphy (we needed insurance against Walker, if he did sit out the first 10 weeks)

06:
- Hawk (We had Barnett/Taylor/Popp (still rehabing an injury as TC started) as recognized LBs, and that wasn't too comforting)
- Jennings (T-Murph and J-Walk gone, we needed help big time)
- Colledge (O-line was a disaster)

The only case you could make for a pick that breaks the "pattern" would be A-Rod, and even then you could argue that no one was sure Favre would be back for two more seasons at that time.

Going by that, and our current CB situation, it is probable that a CB would have to wait at least a couple of years before they saw full-time game action (assuming Blackmon stays healthy).

I read that Revis had KR potential, but I don't think TT will be lining up to pick players based on their KR potential after the Cory Rodgers disaster last year.

I wouldn't mind Houston, I'm liking him more and more each day, but I think TT will address the two biggest needs first: RB and TE. Then I can see him starting to work outward to other possible needs.

Just my two cents. :)

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston has a lot higher bust factor than Revis. Don't like him at all, I think he very well could be one of the big busts of the draft. He's near the top of my list.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that you can get safety to play nickel or dime, but I don't know if Weddle will be fast enough to cover man to man.

First off Weddle is not slow but what he lacks in speed he makes up in smarts. He is a student of the game, a video leach, and would be an incredible example in the locker room.

Speed without smarts = A Carrol.... and we have all been down that road before.

RP

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eric Weddle covered Calvin Johnson, by many regarded the new coming of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens combined only better, in the Emerald Bowl and held him to two catches for 19 yards.

Conclusion:
He can cover man to man.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

First off Weddle is not slow but what he lacks in speed he makes up in smarts. He is a student of the game, a video leach, and would be an incredible example in the locker room.

RP

I am all for Weddle, I am just voicing a concern. They say he plays slow, so if we are banking him on being a Nickel or Dime back, can he cover someone in the slot. Personally, from what is being said about him and his attitude, I would love him to be a Packer. In positions such as DB, any of them, give me the intelligent vs the gifted anytime.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Eric Weddle covered Calvin Johnson, by many regarded the new coming of Randy Moss and Terrell Owens combined only better, in the Emerald Bowl and held him to two catches for 19 yards.

Conclusion:
He can cover man to man.

The interview I seen on I think the NFL network the other night on Weddle. He stated that he had weeks to study Johnson's habits and tendancies. He was reading what he was going to in the routes. That shows that he is very smart and active, I like that. The flipside, can he do that week in and week out in the pros? Not knocking him at all, just a question. I like the guy :)

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think any CBs in the NFL doesn't study tape? It's a vital part of what key position players do.

QBs, DBs, RBs and WRs especially.

Pack93z

Reaction score
No kidding, of course they do and I am not nieve. But I was making a point, did he shut down the reciever or the playbook? He will see more double moves and different sets. If he is a student of the game, will he be able to keep up with it? It is not a knock for heavens sake, just a question on him.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AADP is right. Safety or corner is a good question, but TE/RB will probably be addressed first. I'd throw WR in there too.

As for Safety or corner. We need more corners. It is interesting that each position of need this year has serviceable players already. Bubba can be our TE, Morency our RB, and Holiday our WR. Blackmon and dendy can fill in the backfield, however thats five players who have to step it up, so it's up to the management to determine who can and will. I think our TE situation is the worst. It's been lackluster for years, even during Bubba's pro bowl years. Yet, TE is not a first round pick, not this year anyway. All in all, I'd say we have a nice problem to have. Every potential hole on our roster can be filled by our current #2 at that position.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely think if we can get Weddle in the 2nd it would be great, im sure alot of teams will overlook him and go with more athletic types but seeing as AJ Hawk was a bonafide success then i'd like to see TT repeat the trick and sign Weddle.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking safety was more important than CB until I read that exchange between the fan and Dougherty. Now I'm on the fence. A lot of it depends on things we don't know, like how well Underwood is healing and how Underwood and Culver have looked in practice. I guess my default is still safety because I believe that Marquand Manuel is hands-down the worst player in the Packers' starting lineup.

But it's a close enough call that I wouldn't blame Thompson for going CB with a high pick if there is better quality at that position than there is at safety.

In the first round, we're hearing a lot about Marshawn Lynch, and beyond that, we're hearing speculation that the Packers will take a WR or trade down for a TE, but there's not much talk about defensive backs. Reggie Nelson, the safety from Florida, is the only defensive player I've heard any serious discussion about as a possible first-round selection for the Packers. If they went CB in the first round, who would it be?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Pack93z said:

RP

I am all for Weddle, I am just voicing a concern. They say he plays slow, so if we are banking him on being a Nickel or Dime back, can he cover someone in the slot. Personally, from what is being said about him and his attitude, I would love him to be a Packer. In positions such as DB, any of them, give me the intelligent vs the gifted anytime.

He ran a high 4.4 and I agree there is that concern but there is with every prospect. His are kept to the minimal.