Cornerback Controversy!

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we stick with Jarrett Bush. He's been playing much improved football since the beginning of the season, save for the Dallas game. but nobody played well that game. Williams played well today, but the Rams<Cowboys.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A controversy at the NICKELBACK position? Is that possible? Put whoever is playing better at the time back there and play ball.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
it's meant to be a bit tongue in cheek

Are you hitting on me?

I think Bush has been pretty solid. Keep Tramon on special teams and Dime package.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, as the coaches do, that Bush has the tools to be a quality 5, but I think he lacks instinct. I think Wiliams has the instinct but maybe not the cover skills. What I'm saying is that Bush's lack of instinct is causing him to not be where he is supposed to be, not so much his technique. If I had my choice I'd choose a player with good instincts every time.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play the better player and personally both aren't that great but I'd go with Williams. Though I think Blackmon has the most upside.

Reaction score
When Williams has been put in, I think he's done the job he was asked to do and done it well.

But lately I've been wondering why the coaching staff prefers Bush. Perhaps Williams stamina isn't up to par with Bush's yet?

Or more likely, Bush's experience within this Defensive scheme is better than Williams, which you can say is to be expected since Bush has been in GB a year longer than Williams.

If either of those are the cases, I'd say Jarret Bush is my nickleback.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
I didn't even notice that Bush got hurt and barely played.

My vote is Williams.

Actually, he didn't play at all. He was deactivated today. I'd say we keep giving Tramon and Blackmon reps and see who comes out on top. Hopefully we can figure this out in a game or 2 before the playoffs.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like what I've seen from Blackmon so far, so I'd pick him, even though he's not a choice here. But if it's between Williams and Bush, I like Williams a little better.

I trust the coaching staff on this one, though. They see these guys in practice all week. And so far they haven't been afraid to demote players who are not as good as their backups. Look what's happened on the O-line.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 4 guys in this controversy BTW -- Bush, Williams, Walker and Blackmon. Thusfar I think that Walker has the most experience, Bush showed some good upside but is still raw, Williams has been steady, and Blackmon is raw talent.

IMHO I think that all 4 guys are very close. I think that Blackmon has the greatest potential of the group, so I would go with him until the playoffs. In the playoffs, I'd lean more toward Williams at this point since he's made the least mistakes.

GO PACK GO!!!

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you wouldn't try to shore up the position and keep a sense of continuity going? I don't think it would be a good idea at all to tell take two players and say, "Guy 1, You're my man... for the next two weeks. After that, Guy 2 is my man."

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon has won the position in my mind. I start biting my nails when I see Bush or Walker in the game.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
you wouldn't try to shore up the position and keep a sense of continuity going? I don't think it would be a good idea at all to tell take two players and say, "Guy 1, You're my man... for the next two weeks. After that, Guy 2 is my man."

Hell no, I wouldn't tell them that. I'd mix up the players the way MM is doing and make them earn their spot. Of course letting them know that there's competition right on their heals.

I'm just saying that Blackmon has the most potential IMO and he should get some more time these next couple of weeks to gain experience. Williams will of course also get time, but if the playoffs started today, the most consistent player would get the nod. Williams is that guy right now.

I believe that the competition to be the nickel back will bring the best out of these players, just as Rouse has pushed both Bigby and Collins to be better.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's fair. i just have a different way of looking at it. You say the most consistent player should get the nod and i agree. i just think that is something that should be decided more in practice and from what they've seen in the past, because if i want someone to be consistent, i'm gonna give them consistent PT

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
that's fair. i just have a different way of looking at it. You say the most consistent player should get the nod and i agree. i just think that is something that should be decided more in practice and from what they've seen in the past, because if i want someone to be consistent, i'm gonna give them consistent PT

Fair enough, but I still think that Blackmon has the bigger upside and we'll definitely need playmakers and good backups for the stretch run. Both Woodson and Harris have struggled with injuries this season, so the nickel CB issue is bigger than just one player. There's little doubt to me that we'll need at least 2-3 of these 4 backup CBs to contribute during the postseason. They all need to be ready.