1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Corey Linsley is a Stud

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by Pokerbrat2000, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    Not bad for a 2014 5th round pick! The Packers used 10 different offensive linemen this past season but only one center. They fielded six different starting line combinations, but all of them included Corey Linsley in the middle. The fifth-year pro played every offensive snap for the second consecutive season. Dating to the middle of the 2016 season, he has been on the field for 2,484 straight plays. That includes the last 363 snaps of 2016 (including playoffs), all 1,047 snaps of 2017 and all 1,074 snaps of 2018.

I remember when some wanted to call him "injury prone". :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    Bakhtiari and Linsley have become two of the best at their position. TT gets a lot of abuse, but he nailed those two draft picks... middle round guys who started immediately and have gotten better every season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    Yup, I was going to mention the fact that TT should always be remembered for his ability to draft successful offensive lineman mid to late round: Bahk, Linsley, Sitton, Lang, Tretter, and even Lane Taylor (UDFA), but I din't want to hog all the press. ;)

The only problem is, Linsley was his last success and almost 5 years later, we are beginning to feel the pain.

4. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Glad to have him, but a couple of caveats - he did miss 10 games in his second and third years, and there hasn't been a true backup center on the team for a while.

5. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    So is Aaron Rodgers. ;)

6. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    I read that Linsley had ankle surgery following the 2016 season to correct a problem that he believes led to the hamstring injury that kept him out until Week 9 of that season. Considering he has been healthy ever since, maybe some of the other Packers with constant hammy issues need to look into that surgery. :D

Speaking of surgeries, did anyone catch the new innovative surgery (called "Tight Rope") that Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa had done on his ankle? Really impressive, although he wasn't as impressive as Clemson's Freshman QB Trevor Lawrence. Man that guy is going to be a stud in the NFL. If the Packers 2021 season is looking bad, that would be one guy that I would seriously consider tanking a season to get with the #1 pick.

https://www.si.com/college-football...iloa-ankle-surgery-alabama-injuries-tightrope

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    At QB yes, but you only need a great QB every 12 or so years. Offensive lineman, you should be hitting on one in every other draft IMO.

8. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think the operative part of that was "we're beginning to feel the pain" (and so is AR).

9. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    I meant that Rodgers is starting to feel the pain physically.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    As are Packer fans, mentally.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldSchool101

OldSchool101 Peerless Beer, Lacrosse WI

Packer Fan Since:
    Yes. Corey Linsley is a great example of how trading picks away (which I’m admittedly a proponent of) can be costly. Sometimes those mid rounders develop into fantastic contributors. I believe GB needs to hit twice at OL between rounds 3-5 where you can typically find highly athletic prospects with sharp edges that need to be rounded out.

I don’t want to turn this into an entire draft post, but I also would highly consider drafting at OL now as high as our pick #44, maybe earlier if someone slips down the board. We have the pure #s of picks again. It also never hurts to have O line options in the meantime when a player goes down and it’s nice to have a year or two in a system without the pressure of what Linsley faced on the road at Seattle a few years ago.

A higher pick would allow us to wait until round 4-6 for several more developmental OL to round out our depth with more competition.

The unfortunate situation with Cole Madison was like disturbing a deposit on an account that was already insufficient in funds. Even then, our attempt to sign him was likely only enough to mask the deifiency until we could address it properly. That was an unfortunate outcome from all angles but that was then this is now.

Unless we go all out in FA towards Offense or there is some other trade or extraordinary transactions, 2019 needs to lean towards an Offensive injection of resources. We need our next Linsley success story at either OT or OG

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    You know what they say--even a broken clock is right twice per draft. Or something like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1