OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After 6 carries we have a running game?

Was just about to say almost same thing..

Can't say with 100% certainty running game is fixed

No, but you also can't say that Benson didn't run better than anyone else since the 2010 playoffs.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bye bye Starks! I heard the Lions might need a RB. Plenty of properties to buy that are for sale in Detroit :D

Sorry, I might be getting ahead of myself.

NACHOMAN

Sailing the seas of cheese
Reaction score
It was nice to see Benson break through and get some yards. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain at this point in his career. Last nights performance gave a shimmer of hope to the running game. I'll take 11 yard carries all day long.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack O looks even scarier now with Benson at RB. That boy Tyler can grind out some yards also. Gonna be another great year for the Packers, offensively.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signing Benson reminds me a lot of the Derrick Holmes signing in terms of potential impact.
Reminds me more of when Seattle gave us Ahman Green.
No offense to Holmes.

Hopefully Benson will be to us what Corey Dillon was to Tom Brady and the Patriots about 10 years ago. That guy won 3 rings in 4 years. So should we.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reminds me more of when Seattle gave us Ahman Green.
No offense to Holmes.

Hopefully Benson will be to us what Corey Dillon was to Tom Brady and the Patriots about 10 years ago. That guy won 3 rings in 4 years. So should we.

Only Ahman Green was much younger when we got him.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can think of a number of situations where Starks has failed to pick up the blitz properly, either from misreads or poor technique. The only proven one on our roster at this point is Kuhn. Grant was okay, Bjax was great. We'll see how Benson likes doing the unsexy job of blocking blitzing linebackers. Not always the favorite thing of egotistical backs like he's been in the past.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Starks is a more than adequate RB when healthy but that’s the problem. When was the last time he made it through an entire season healthy enough to play in every game – 2008? I don’t think he excels at blitz pickup. In fact the reason Rodgers yells at Starks more than any other player IMO is because he still isn’t assignment sure. McCarthy emphasizes players be available and accountable. Starks (through no fault of his own) fails on the former and should be better than he is on the latter. But hand him the ball when he’s healthy and he’s more than good enough.

Green is recovering from a serious injury – I haven’t seen the burst we saw last year before he got hurt. I am excited about his potential if he gets back to health 100%. I haven’t seen enough reps to evaluate his skills picking up the blitz but he looks OK to me so far. He’d never make it to the practice squad so unless he gets hurt I agree he’s a lock for the 53.

The most reliable RB picking up the blitz IMO is Saine but he’s also hurt. I think he’s a good backup - assignment sure, catches the ball out of the backfield, but not as talented a RB as Benson, Green, or Starks.

I think it’s apparent Benson is the most talented RB on the team. But he has had a fumbling problem and we are yet to see how that plays out in Green Bay. How well he handles blitz pickups is also yet to be determined and this is his first exposure to a version of the WCO. But he’s got a chip on his shoulder and that’s a good thing for a player with his talent. He also appears to recognize the opportunity in front of him: He’s been sitting in the QB meetings (as well as the RB meetings) – that’s a first according to Rodgers.

If I had to guess today I’d guess Benson, Green, Saine make the team along with Kuhn. Starks goes to IR or is released and Tyler goes to the practice squad.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow after one half of football he is the starter? what's that say about Green and Starks? smh
What do you think it says?

Starks was a guy who played at Buffalo College... have any of us ever seen Buffalo College/University? Nope.
He couldn't stay healthy there either by the way.

Alex Green is a guy nobody heard of until he ran thru wide-open lanes in the wide-open pass-happy offense at Hawaii. He put up one great year there, but most of his yards came on long runs where he was untouched for 10+ yards because the hole was wide open.

The Packers OL rarely opens up holes half that big.

Now enter Cedric Benson. Here's a talent who could have gone to any college he wanted, highly-paid. He went to Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams alma-mater. And he did great, All-American, record-setting.
Was a no-brainer #4 overall pick. Dude is talented as heck. And he's (been) durable, which is the opposite of Starks, Green, Saine.

It's not all based on last night's first half!
That's why they brought Cedric in. He's a steal IMO. Be excited..... if he can avoid the Packer injury jinx, he's exactly what we could use in cold January Lambeau football when teams like the Giants & Bears & Niners pin their ears back going after Rodgers.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think it says?

Starks was a guy who played at Buffalo College... have any of us ever seen Buffalo College/University? Nope.
He couldn't stay healthy there either by the way.

Alex Green is a guy nobody heard of until he ran thru wide-open lanes in the wide-open pass-happy offense at Hawaii. He put up one great year there, but most of his yards came on long runs where he was untouched for 10+ yards because the hole was wide open.

The Packers OL rarely opens up holes half that big.

Now enter Cedric Benson. Here's a talent who could have gone to any college he wanted, highly-paid. He went to Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams alma-mater. And he did great, All-American, record-setting.
Was a no-brainer #4 overall pick. Dude is talented as heck. And he's (been) durable, which is the opposite of Starks, Green, Saine.

It's not all based on last night's first half!
That's why they brought Cedric in. He's a steal IMO. Be excited..... if he can avoid the Packer injury jinx, he's exactly what we could use in cold January Lambeau football when teams like the Giants & Bears & Niners pin their ears back going after Rodgers.

I meant this as an open ended statement haha but you make some good points.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cedric Benson looks a helluva lot more decisive than any of the other RBs on the roster.The one good thing about him is that he has been durable the past few years. He also is playing with a chip on his shoulders.

With that said, it was six carries. I'll keep my expectations tamed until I see him tearing up SF's defense :)

Members online

Latest posts