Concern for cheap shots/unnecessary roughness vs. Lions?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Does anybody have concerns about Rodgers taking some unnecessary hits or getting cheap shotted when we go to Detroit to play the Lions? Rodgers is a tad concussion prone and Lions have been playing very aggressive and questionably dirty up front and Schwartz is a piece of **** of sorts.

I don't think anyone in Detroit is going to take it easy on Rodgers unlike Jared Allen who seems to be pretty buddy-buddy with Rodgers and doesn't try to hit him with malicious intent.

I for one am a bit concerned. I'm sure Detroit knowing their coach and the style of play they have going on there, would love nothing more than to knock Rodgers out of the game.

And with the way Newhouse has been getting worked, I see it as quite a possibility that Rodgers could be on the ground quite a bit.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great thread. I do not worry at all about Suh.

It's #26 LOUIS DELMAS who I do.
So much so that earlier today, I actually thought about this and was fanatically worried enough, that the thought crossed my mind to send that guy a letter right now that says if he takes another cheap shot to the knee of any Packer, that he will meet the same fate as former Bronco Darrent Williams.
But then the thought occurred to me that was overboard.

But really, I hate that guy. I've seen him injure Jermichael Finley with a cheap shot, and saw him break the knee of the Falcons FB 3 weeks ago with a similar cheap shot to the knee... both hits were basically blind shots against defenseless receivers.

I really should get a letter off to the commish and the safety committee quick before that game gets close.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, throughout the season, talk radio here in Detroit has been a buzz with "we knocked Rodgers out of the game last year and can/will do it again this year.". Both the fans and the players here know that the key to beating the Packers is to get to Rodgers "early and often."

IMO the team is a bunch of thugs and resort to cheap/dirty play when the chips are down.

With their weekness of a run defense, and their strength of getting after the quarterback, the run game should be established early and then mix in play action. If we resort to passing often, without any threat of a rushing attack, I see Rodgers on the ground as well and subject to dirty hits.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely in the back of my mind. Detroit has gained a reputation for being a dirty team and their head coach is quite the little b**ch. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them take more than a few liberties.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
They better watch it if they consider it. It's on Thanksgiving and everyone will be watching. Last thing they need to do is look like douches on a holiday.

I honestly am not too worried. I said this during the Vikings game though before Flynn was even put in; if you get a good lead put in Flynn. No need to run up the score with Aaron to prove anything if a game is out of hand. I will say the same for many of the games remaining.

Lions should not flirt with karma either. Not like their own QB is exactly Mr. Durability. Whats it now for him a bad finger?
Like already mentioned though, the Lions have trouble stopping the run so the run game "should" work.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They better watch it if they consider it. It's on Thanksgiving and everyone will be watching. Last thing they need to do is look like douches on a holiday.

I honestly am not too worried. I said this during the Vikings game though before Flynn was even put in; if you get a good lead put in Flynn. No need to run up the score with Aaron to prove anything if a game is out of hand. I will say the same for many of the games remaining.

Lions should not flirt with karma either. Not like their own QB is exactly Mr. Durability. Whats it now for him a bad finger?
Like already mentioned though, the Lions have trouble stopping the run so the run game "should" work.

My thoughts exactly. Going the cheap shot route on Thanksgiving day when 3/4 of the football world is watching is a bad idea, and the refs are more likely to throw penalty flags on that sort of thing early rather than later. If it becomes obvious that they're trying to take out A-Rod the Lions will become the most hated and vilified team in the NFL just like that.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
As far as them being a dirty team, I think most people over-react to it.

They like to hit hard, so what that's the kind of defense you want. They say the same thing about the Steelers, and I HATE Pittsburgh, but I have to say, just because a team hits you hard and knocks you down as fast as they can, that's not a dirty team. Suh is one of those guys that would have fit in with the old school style linebackers and defensive ends from the good ole days when there wasn't a flag every down when the quarterback gets hit hard.

The Lions are no different than the Bears, Steelers, and I'm even going to say the Jets, when it comes to trying to rough up the quarterback.

People are over reacting after Roddy White had to be a little ***** about playing them, but in case you didn't watch the Bears/Lions game last week, just so you know, they got more than enough roughing the passer calls on Suh, and Nick Fairley, and they also managed to give the Lions penalties for hard hits, while not giving the same back to the Lions when the Bears were about on the same level of what you want to call dirty hits. The game is in Detroit, yet I am going to be expecting them get flags, and so on because the league is watching this team.

The Lions are a physical team that does keep me worried that we may lose a starter when we play them, but I'm also worried about Chicago's defense, actually way more worried about the Bears new improved defense, cause the Lions will let you throw all over them, Chicago seems to be fixing that problem.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They like to hit hard, so what that's the kind of defense you want. They say the same thing about the Steelers, and I HATE Pittsburgh, but I have to say, just because a team hits you hard and knocks you down as fast as they can, that's not a dirty team. Suh is one of those guys that would have fit in with the old school style linebackers and defensive ends from the good ole days when there wasn't a flag every down when the quarterback gets hit hard.

The Lions are no different than the Bears, Steelers, and I'm even going to say the Jets, when it comes to trying to rough up the quarterback.

People are over reacting after Roddy White had to be a little ***** about playing them, but in case you didn't watch the Bears/Lions game last week, just so you know, they got more than enough roughing the passer calls on Suh, and Nick Fairley, and they also managed to give the Lions penalties for hard hits, while not giving the same back to the Lions when the Bears were about on the same level of what you want to call dirty hits. The game is in Detroit, yet I am going to be expecting them get flags, and so on because the league is watching this team.

The Lions are a physical team that does keep me worried that we may lose a starter when we play them, but I'm also worried about Chicago's defense, actually way more worried about the Bears new improved defense, cause the Lions will let you throw all over them, Chicago seems to be fixing that problem.

Yeah, in all fairness to the Lions the dirty player tag is something of a bad rap which I guess is hurting them. I didn't watch the Lions-Bears game but if what you say is true then that's too bad because the Lions don't deserve that. Sometimes defenses will play dirty out of frustration, i.e. when they're losing, and I think that Stafford's head twist on the Bears CB (forgot his name) didn't help the image much. Every defensive player has a right to whack the opposing QB given the chance as long as its not a late hit or a helmet hit. That's what they're there to do.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I thought some of the Vikings were trying to take extra shots on Rodgers. I saw Jared Allen do it twice. He'd hit him than give him a little extra shot right at the end. I would expect the Lions to do worse. I mean, in my opinion, deliberately grabbing a sliding QB's helmet is dirty and dangerous. When a 300 some pound lineman does that how hard would it be to injure the neck?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is something you always have to have in the back of your mind when you are the best in the league. People will want to take you down because you are the best and not all of them have good intentions. It wouldn't surprise me to see somebody try it, that's why I've been pawing at the OTs these last weeks to protect Aaron Rodgers. The receivers are just going to need to be extra alert and aware, especially if you are playing a team with a player notorious for cheap shots. I agree with Jules said in terms of it happening with the Lions next Thursday. They'd be foolish to try it in front of a national audience on a major holiday.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Lions starting to get this bad rap ( either warranted or not) and it being a national audience game, I am pretty sure the league has told the refs to watch for stuff

I for one am always worried things will happen..But more so when a team is getting this rap....So let's hope nothing fishy happens

I also agree that the steelers are not dirty, just play hard..

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Lions starting to get this bad rap ( either warranted or not) and it being a national audience game, I am pretty sure the league has told the refs to watch for stuff

I for one am always worried things will happen..But more so when a team is getting this rap....So let's hope nothing fishy happens

I also agree that the steelers are not dirty, just play hard..

They have been getting a bad rap, but so have the Falcons. Do you remember in the Lions/ Falcons game, the Falcons accused the Lions (mainly Suh) of being a dirty player? Neither teams have room to talk.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind hard hitting play, in a game it's the below the knee stuff ripping helmets off when they do that you see heads going backward,that can be very dangerous to a player I just think the pack will adjust,they know what they are up against, and on turkey day it will be a very good game.

mor4les

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lions run defense sucks, and their pass rush is good, and dirty, so I think we will se a very busy day for Grant, Starks and Kuhn.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

They like to hit hard, so what that's the kind of defense you want.

Not when you keep grabbing their heads and trying to twist them off. I mean even Stafford does it. Then Suh saying he had no problems with Stafford doing it? Yes, they are a dirty team. And I think Schwartz is encouraging them to be that way.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Stafford is wearing gloves again Sunday. Maybe he wears them again for the Packers game.

Gotta protect that manicure.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
No concern at all, they are a hard hitting team, thats the NFL.

Detroit is going to have a hard enough time making the playoffs as is, I could see them looking to actually try to hurt Rodgers when they hit him, rather than just doing it to stop a play from developing. There is a difference and if the game at some point happens to get out of hand (which it could if our offense keeps rolling) they could start resorting to cheap stuff. Teams do it all the time when they know they're out of a game

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lions run defense sucks, and their pass rush is good, and dirty, so I think we will se a very busy day for Grant, Starks and Kuhn.
The Niners showed the league how to run against the Lions D-line. Run straight at Suh! His exuberance to get at the QB allows the rusher to run past him before he has the chance to blink.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, throughout the season, talk radio here in Detroit has been a buzz with "we knocked Rodgers out of the game last year and can/will do it again this year.". Both the fans and the players here know that the key to beating the Packers is to get to Rodgers "early and often."

IMO the team is a bunch of thugs and resort to cheap/dirty play when the chips are down.

With their weekness of a run defense, and their strength of getting after the quarterback, the run game should be established early and then mix in play action. If we resort to passing often, without any threat of a rushing attack, I see Rodgers on the ground as well and subject to dirty hits.
I love Helmets! It was cool to meet you in San Diego Frank!

The good thing about the Lions is right now the NFL is investigating the skirmishes and stuff between them and the Bears, so hopefully the extra spotlight, and being on Thanksgiving, will mean the zebras and the league office warns them ahead of time.

Still, I want to fire off a letter to Delmas....... I hate that guy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts