Colts perfect season is done!

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do, darn it! I wanted them to torpedo the Texans for us :( Now I'll be forced to root for the Bungles next weekend.

Ah, well... congrats on your clinching a ticket to the dance!

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well since my roomate is a Jets fan ive been kinda rooting for the Jets all season. nice for them to pull out a win and keep their playoff hopes alive.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt the colts really cared about perfection from the way they played. Peyton was taken out of the game after the first half.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate the Jets too.

I have to keep reminding my Jets fan friends that the Jets didn't stop the Colts' run, they chose to stop it themselves.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be in the minority here, but what the hell was Jim Caldwell doing? Of course you go for the perfect season. Did you see the look on Mannings face? Looks like someone kicked him in the balls and killed his puppy.

I can imagine alot of players on that team being upset because they worked hard to get to 14-0 and a big accomplishment that could have been theirs is all washed down the tubes.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha! what a cool win by Buccaneers. but I still agree with NYPacker, they don't really care about that

NFL Draft|NFL Scores|NFL Schedule|NFL Shop

I think it's naive to say they don't care, I'm sure they do somewhat. The Lombardi Trophy means more of course, but I'm sure every single player wanted this team to go for the undefeated season.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Honestly, when you look at the Colts team this season, it makes perfect sense that the organisation would want to preserve its starters for the play offs ...

Why people are making such a fuzz about it is interesting though, and I can certainly understand why some players might also be a little frustrated, if they weren't, I would question their professionality ...

However, have you people taken a look at those injuries that players have been sustaining this season ? ... - Imagine Manning or any other of the starters on the Colts team got injured trying to achieve a 16-0 (regular) season ? ... I can pretty much tell you (and honestly I think everyone will agree) it would be the quite opposite we would be hearing now from everyone ... - That the Colts should have been resting their starters and not risk injuries and that trying to achieve "Perfection" was the unwise move ...

From a "business" point of view, it makes perfect sense, since the HFA had already been secured and also knowing it's pretty much a "new" team the Colts are fielding this season ...

The "Perfect" season is pretty much an Utopia these days, because the competition is so fierce in todays NFL, that whenever you get a chance to rest your starters, most teams will most likely take it when they can ...

Doing otherwise wouldn't be wise really ... - And in the end ... going undefeated during the regular season and possibly throughout the play offs is more something for the Media and Fans than it is actually something that is useful for the teams as a whole ...

Ever since the ´72 Dolphins, all that matters is getting into the play offs, how you get there really isn't important, as the recent season winners have proven ... - I mean, and be honest here ..., what do you remember from the 2007 season (other than the Packers missing the Super Bowl) ?

- Probably, mostly that Giants won the Super Bowl, not really that the Patriots went 18-0 before losing to the Giants in that same game ... In fact I remember alot of people contesting that the Patriots were actually the "better team" that season, despite losing the Super Bowl ... When everything actually showed that they were ... - Yes the Patriots lost the Super Bowl, however that was one single (super important, yes) game, but looking at the larger picture, the Patriots were infact the "Best Team" in the NFL that particular season ...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, when you look at the Colts team this season, it makes perfect sense that the organisation would want to preserve its starters for the play offs ...

Why people are making such a fuzz about it is interesting though, and I can certainly understand why some players might also be a little frustrated, if they weren't, I would question their professionality ...

However, have you people taken a look at those injuries that players have been sustaining this season ? ... - Imagine Manning or any other of the starters on the Colts team got injured trying to achieve a 16-0 (regular) season ? ... I can pretty much tell you (and honestly I think everyone will agree) it would be the quite opposite we would be hearing now from everyone ... - That the Colts should have been resting their starters and not risk injuries and that trying to achieve "Perfection" was the unwise move ...

From a "business" point of view, it makes perfect sense, since the HFA had already been secured and also knowing it's pretty much a "new" team the Colts are fielding this season ...

The "Perfect" season is pretty much an Utopia these days, because the competition is so fierce in todays NFL, that whenever you get a chance to rest your starters, most teams will most likely take it when they can ...

Doing otherwise wouldn't be wise really ... - And in the end ... going undefeated during the regular season and possibly throughout the play offs is more something for the Media and Fans than it is actually something that is useful for the teams as a whole ...

Ever since the ´72 Dolphins, all that matters is getting into the play offs, how you get there really isn't important, as the recent season winners have proven ... - I mean, and be honest here ..., what do you remember from the 2007 season (other than the Packers missing the Super Bowl) ?

- Probably, mostly that Giants won the Super Bowl, not really that the Patriots went 18-0 before losing to the Giants in that same game ... In fact I remember alot of people contesting that the Patriots were actually the "better team" that season, despite losing the Super Bowl ... When everything actually showed that they were ... - Yes the Patriots lost the Super Bowl, however that was one single (super important, yes) game, but looking at the larger picture, the Patriots were infact the "Best Team" in the NFL that particular season ...

I get the argument that they wanted to preserve their players. But you have Peyton who never gets hurt at QB. He wasn't even getting touched from what I read, because I didn't see the entire game. You also run the risk of the players getting rusty. I was reading what some Colts fans had to say earlier, and they said that every season the Colts clinched early and rested their starters, they went on to lose in the Playoffs. And the one season they won the SB aginst the Bears, they never rested people and everyone played out to finish the season. They have already gotten a first round bye, and their MVP Manning is an Iron man. It's not the end of the world that they lost, and they are very much in it in the grand scheme of things, but I just don't think it was the right call. They pretty much just gave up and gift wrapped the Jets a shot at the Playoffs.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I get the argument that they wanted to preserve their players. But you have Peyton who never gets hurt at QB. He wasn't even getting touched from what I read, because I didn't see the entire game. You also run the risk of the players getting rusty. I was reading what some Colts fans had to say earlier, and they said that every season the Colts clinched early and rested their starters, they went on to lose in the Playoffs. And the one season they won the SB aginst the Bears, they never rested people and everyone played out to finish the season. They have already gotten a first round bye, and their MVP Manning is an Iron man. It's not the end of the world that they lost, and they are very much in it in the grand scheme of things, but I just don't think it was the right call. They pretty much just gave up and gift wrapped the Jets a shot at the Playoffs.

Whenever a decision is made in the NFL and the particular team loses, it's always the "wrong" decision, especially according to all the couch-experts out there ... - I wonder if the 2007 Patriots wouldn't be willing to trade one lost game for a Super Bowl win that year ? - What do you think ?

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whenever a decision is made in the NFL and the particular team loses, it's always the "wrong" decision, especially according to all the couch-experts out there ... - I wonder if the 2007 Patriots wouldn't be willing to trade one lost game for a Super Bowl win that year ? - What do you think ?

It's not that they lost, it's that they just gave up and gave the game away. Sure the Pats would trade it away, but whose to say if the Pats went 15-1 in 2007, the same outcome in the SB wouldn't have happened anyway?

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
It's not that they lost, it's that they just gave up and gave the game away. Sure the Pats would trade it away, but whose to say if the Pats went 15-1 in 2007, the same outcome in the SB wouldn't have happened anyway?

I'm pretty sure that the Colts didn't "give up", because if they had, the NFL commission would be all over them for match-fixing now ...

However, yes the 2nd string team of the Colts were no match for the 1st string team of the Jets ... - But that isn't the same as "giving up" ...

By your logic, no losing team, should ever be allowed to start their back-ups, whenever their team is so far behind that a comeback is almost impossible ... Because then they would be "giving up" ...

I have to ask you ... - Looking at an entire NFL season ... and the toll it takes on the players - wouldn't you try to get your starters as much rest as they could ? Especially when the remaining games to be played are pretty much worthless (for that particular franchise) ? Wouldn't you try to give your 2nd string players as much playing time as you could ? In order to give them more experience ?

I can certainly understand why the media and fans alike would rather see a (possible) "Perfect" season, however, from a business perspective all I'm saying is that the decision to rest the starters wasn't as "dumb" and bad decision as alot of people want to think ...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the Colts didn't "give up", because if they had, the NFL commission would be all over them for match-fixing now ...

However, yes the 2nd string team of the Colts were no match for the 1st string team of the Jets ... - But that isn't the same as "giving up" ...

By your logic, no losing team, should ever be allowed to start their back-ups, whenever their team is so far behind that a comeback is almost impossible ... Because then they would be "giving up" ...

I have to ask you ... - Looking at an entire NFL season ... and the toll it takes on the players - wouldn't you try to get your starters as much rest as they could ? Especially when the remaining games to be played are pretty much worthless (for that particular franchise) ? Wouldn't you try to give your 2nd string players as much playing time as you could ? In order to give them more experience ?

I can certainly understand why the media and fans alike would rather see a (possible) "Perfect" season, however, from a business perspective all I'm saying is that the decision to rest the starters wasn't as "dumb" and bad decision as alot of people want to think ...

They were up by only 5 points when they took the starters out. The 2nd stringers as you mentioned were no match for the Jets. You had to have known I didn't mean giving up in a literal sense. The backups on Indy weren't trying to play like crap, they were doing their best of course. It virtually is giving up though from a Coaching perspective. There was no way the Colts would have won that game with the back ups in, so they basically gave the game away.

Your over analyzing what I'm saying. If a team is down by 30 points, sure they can take the first teamers out, I have no problem with that. The Colts weren't down by 30, they were up by 5.

Would I try to rest my players? It depends on the circumstances. In the Colts game, no. I would only do it if my team had a comfortable lead or no chance at coming back.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Again, I can understand why alot of people (media) and fans would rather the Colts had kept playing their starters, however, when you are able to pull your starters without "risk" (other than losing that particular game), as that and possibly next weeks loss, will have no bearings on play off seeds or anything else, I can certainly understand why the decision was made ...

Also, who is to say the Colts wouldn't have lost anyway ? ... - Just look at the Saints hosting the Bucs ... - Up 17 points, from every perspective pretty much "cruising" to clinch HFA, - yet ended up losing in overtime (which is something I really think should be for the play offs only - over time ... - I still cannot understand why a game cannot go a "draw" in the regular season LOL) ...

My point is, I just don't see why make all the "fuzz" about it, as everyone is making a huge deal out of it, when in fact it's pretty much a "non-issue", - well except for those among the media and fans whom were looking for a possible "Perfect Season" ... I actually think Manning and the other players were ok with it as well, because as everyone around the team was saying, it was a decision made some time before the actual game was played ...

Had the players and Manning heavily objected during those meetings, perhaps the decision would have been changed, whose to know ?

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I can understand why alot of people (media) and fans would rather the Colts had kept playing their starters, however, when you are able to pull your starters without "risk" (other than losing that particular game), as that and possibly next weeks loss, will have no bearings on play off seeds or anything else, I can certainly understand why the decision was made ...

Also, who is to say the Colts wouldn't have lost anyway ? ... - Just look at the Saints hosting the Bucs ... - Up 17 points, from every perspective pretty much "cruising" to clinch HFA, - yet ended up losing in overtime (which is something I really think should be for the play offs only - over time ... - I still cannot understand why a game cannot go a "draw" in the regular season LOL) ...

My point is, I just don't see why make all the "fuzz" about it, as everyone is making a huge deal out of it, when in fact it's pretty much a "non-issue", - well except for those among the media and fans whom were looking for a possible "Perfect Season" ... I actually think Manning and the other players were ok with it as well, because as everyone around the team was saying, it was a decision made some time before the actual game was played ...

Had the players and Manning heavily objected during those meetings, perhaps the decision would have been changed, whose to know ?

Colts could have lost with their starters out there, I just would have to imagine them winning with Manning playing the whole game. As for the Bucs reference, you can agree the Colts are much better than the Saints. However you can make the argument that the Jets are much better than the Bucs.

I'm really actually happy the Colts lost. I didn't want another team to go undefeated. I really don't know why I feel this way, I guess I want that undefeated season to keep it's prestige, and if there would have been two 16-0 teams in 3 years, it wouldn't be so rare anymore.

So your not a fan of overtime? lol. Well I'm not either really, we could go back to the old days of when regulation ended, tie ballgame! Either that or change the damn OT rules.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Colts could have lost with their starters out there, I just would have to imagine them winning with Manning playing the whole game. As for the Bucs reference, you can agree the Colts are much better than the Saints. However you can make the argument that the Jets are much better than the Bucs.

I'm really actually happy the Colts lost. I didn't want another team to go undefeated. I really don't know why I feel this way, I guess I want that undefeated season to keep it's prestige, and if there would have been two 16-0 teams in 3 years, it wouldn't be so rare anymore.

So your not a fan of overtime? lol. Well I'm not either really, we could go back to the old days of when regulation ended, tie ballgame! Either that or change the damn OT rules.

Well, I need to correct myself here ... - I don't mind the overtime as such, however I just don't like the "Sudden Death" applied to the over time, I should have made that clear the first time ...

Those should only be preserved for the play off games, where there has to be a winner, but during the regular season, I just don't understand why there can't be games that draw ?

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I need to correct myself here ... - I don't mind the overtime as such, however I just don't like the "Sudden Death" applied to the over time, I should have made that clear the first time ...

Those should only be preserved for the play off games, where there has to be a winner, but during the regular season, I just don't understand why there can't be games that draw ?

Overtime probably helps ratings which plays a big role.

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is, I have no idea who won the '71 or '73 Superbowls. I'll never forget the '72 Dolphins. 20 Years from now, how many people are going to remember or care that the 15-1 colts won the 2009 Superbowl? They had a chance to become household names to a generation of fans who never even saw them play. You have to go after that.

They will be in the mix to win a superbowl every year till Manning retires. In my opinion it was a stupid short sighted decision by the colts.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because i found it funny that someone would predict a championship. Sorry to upset the natural order of things.

Members online

Latest posts