Coach of the year

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is pissing me off. real bad.

1 loss and no one considers MM coach of the year material? Not even in the discussion? wow.

My debate with a voter in the past 12 hours...

Voter - I don't think there is any doubt that Jim Harbaugh should be named coach of the year. The only other option is John Fox, because he won a handful of games with no quarterback.

Me - No mention of mike McCarthy?

Voter - The Packers really haven't done anything out of the ordinary. It's pretty expected from a loaded team that is defending their Super Bowl title.

Me - Its odd you dont even consider the coach with the best record in the NFL, who is headed towards the most wins in team history. Yes they are defending champions but more often than not you get defending champions who choke it up under pressure and miss the playoffs. And this is with a defense thats average. No its not the feel good tebow story (though how can you be COTY if you played QB musical chairs during the season?) and MM doesnt come across as the next big thing like SF. But his numbers and record I will put up against any coach in the league today. I honestly feel its because he doesnt have the ego of most coaches and the media savy that he goes unnoticed, bc if Rex Ryan was 13-1 the discussion would be over.

Voter - Jim Harbaugh took a terrible team with a terrible quarterback and turned them into one of the top two teams in the NFC an top five team in the NFL. Alex Smith is actually a serviceable starter now and the team is playing very well. That is what a coach of the year does. They take minimal talent and turn it into a legit team. McCarthy has just maintained his team's skill level. Hasn't done anything out of the ordinary like Harbaugh. Harbaugh is a special coach and should be rewarded for the brilliant performance he's done with the 49ers this year.

Me- Weird I could see the same argument being made for MM in 2007 when BB won it.

The argument continues but this was the meat of it. So do you guys feel MM should be considered for coach of the year or just give it to a coach in the NFC west right now?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I mentioned this in the other thread about MM's coaching. The Niners fans and Harbaughites think their team is undefeated and undefeatable and it's all Harbaugh's doing.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I mentioned this in the other thread about MM's coaching. The Niners fans and Harbaughites think their team is undefeated and undefeatable and it's all Harbaugh's doing.

When they were 5-11 last year, and are 11-3 with the same team and not really any adjustments, I don't see how it's not all Harbaugh's doing.

Harbaugh would my vote just for that. Last year that team was terrible, and he's already turned them around in just one season, without much of a rebuild process. Same average QB, same running game, same average receivers, same defense just running a better scheme.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
When they were 5-11 last year, and are 11-3 with the same team and not really any adjustments, I don't see how it's not all Harbaugh's doing.

Harbaugh would my vote just for that. Last year that team was terrible, and he's already turned them around in just one season, without much of a rebuild process. Same average QB, same running game, same average receivers, same defense just running a better scheme.
MM should have gotten it last year. He is 13-1 this year and had a streak going for over a year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly.
McCarthy deserves to get votes, but not any first place votes when you see what a turnaround Harbaugh has done with that team.
There's no arguement here, as Bogart just nailed.
There can be arguements for 2nd place though.
I'd give it to MM there, or maybe the Texans Kubiak, although I think their DC Wade Phillips is the reason for their improvement.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the 49ers blow the last 2 games I think Harbaugh will win the coach of the year award and I believe he deserves to win it. I know more than a handful of voters and they are putting Harbaugh, Fox, McCarthy in that order. I think that is a very reasonable order, at this point in the season, that is tough to argue with.

As for Rodgers winning the MVP I would be surprised if he DIDN'T win it at the end of the year is all i'm going to say :)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
MM should have gotten it last year. He is 13-1 this year and had a streak going for over a year.

I totally agree right there.

Team was on it's last leg, and managed to win out and won the Super Bowl as a wild card. Coach was the most underrated figure standing in the shadow as the mastermind.
Exactly.
McCarthy deserves to get votes, but not any first place votes when you see what a turnaround Harbaugh has done with that team.
There's no arguement here, as Bogart just nailed.
There can be arguements for 2nd place though.
I'd give it to MM there, or maybe the Texans Kubiak, although I think their DC Wade Phillips is the reason for their improvement.

Kubiak also has done a great job. I think for an offensive coordinator, he's done great for Houston in the last few years developing Matt Schaub into his play action/run first type offense. I remember Schaub as a back up in Atlanta, no one believed he would turn out to be good, but Wade Phillips is really the best improvement to the Texans. i believe they were ranked 30th or below last year in Defense, and now they have someone bring out their full potential.

I love the Texans, but Harbaugh still gets the vote form me. Houston had the offense last year, just didn't have the defense. Now they are finally even.

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This, I agree!! Harbaugh should be coach of the year, well at least he gets my vote.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any justification for John Fox being ahead of Kubiak.

Intersting note: All 4 AFC West teams are alive.
And they all could be after this Christmas weekend of games.... which would setup week 17:

Kansas City with Kyle Orton, at Denver with Tim Tebow. WOW......
And San Diego @ Oakland, a nasty rivalry.
Meanwhile in the NFC East, that last game is Dallas @ NYGiants.
Can't wait. Belongs in another thread, but wow......

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any justification for John Fox being ahead of Kubiak.

Intersting note: All 4 AFC West teams are alive.
And they all could be after this Christmas weekend of games.... which would setup week 17:

Kansas City with Kyle Orton, at Denver with Tim Tebow. WOW......
And San Diego @ Oakland, a nasty rivalry.
Meanwhile in the NFC East, that last game is Dallas @ NYGiants.
Can't wait. Belongs in another thread, but wow......

The broncos were 4-12 last year in a division that was one of the worst. The texans were 6-10 in a division that was only slightly better. John Fox had to not only develop a new starting quarterback he had to completely change his offensive AND defensive gameplans to accommodate this change....5 games into the season when they were 1-4. Kubiak has had arian foster injured, andre johnson injured, mario williams injured, matt schaub injured. Arguably their 4 best players. Neither one has an easy task but I don't really think its arguable that Houston has more talent on their team and more depth than the broncos so I would still give the edge to Fox.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's my blind homer goggles, but the voter is a f**king moron.

How do we know Harbaugh hasn't caught lightning in a bottle and the Niners aren't one hit wonders?

To me, COTY should go to teams that sustain success, or persevere despite overwhelming hardships. McCarthy should have won it last year when he sent an injury depleted team to the playoffs, having never lost a game by more than 4 points all season long. And to follow that up with one of the more successful campaigns of any Super Bowl champion in the history of the NFL should give him the honor this year.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I cant believe he hasnt been considered for Coach of the Year. Not only this year but like you said he made a run at it in 2007 and nothing. He should without a doubt win it this year.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's my blind homer goggles, but the voter is a f**king moron.

How do we know Harbaugh hasn't caught lightning in a bottle and the Niners aren't one hit wonders?

To me, COTY should go to teams that sustain success, or persevere despite overwhelming hardships. McCarthy should have won it last year when he sent an injury depleted team to the playoffs, having never lost a game by more than 4 points all season long. And to follow that up with one of the more successful campaigns of any Super Bowl champion in the history of the NFL should give him the honor this year.
Yup, McCarthy did deserve it last year. But I'm glad Harbaugh will probably get it this year.

But to play the devil's advocate for a moment, I would also say one of the biggest differences in the Niners this year is David Akers. His long FG kicking has been the difference in many low scoring games.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you watched that rookie DE? What about what Carlos Rodgers has brought to the team? Akers does bail out an offense that sputters in the red zone.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Sadly Harbaugh probably won't win it if Denver makes the playoffs, because the Christian writers on ESPN have already wrote a dozen articles about how John Fox deserves the reward :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
coached the 2nd longest winning streak in nfl history and people dont think he is deserving of the award? Whatever you are buying from Sam Hurd it must be mind altering.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Tebow is average, his defense is GREAT. The Broncos made a mistake in running Orton out of town. if the chiefs had Tebow at QB last week as opposed to Orton we would have crushed 'em.
No we would of still lost. It wasn't their offense that beat us.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
No we would of still lost. It wasn't their offense that beat us.

Orton set a career high by completing 74.2 percent of his passes (23 of 31) for 299 yards in a 19-14 upset victory over previously unbeaten Green Bay. He averaged 9.65 yards per attempt, his most in more than two years.

I know the D stifled the Packers offense, but Orton carved us up. No way Tebow would've completed 74% of his passes against us.

Members online

Latest posts