1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Clay says he's not on roids

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Jess, May 20, 2010.

1. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
  2. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    If Clay says he is not, that good enough for me.

3. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Has he failed a drugs test?

There should be your answer :)

4. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    As far as I can tell he has never failed a drug test. Unless the day comes when there is positive proof I say he's innocent until then.

5. YouFrgotPoland

YouFrgotPoland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +66
    Yep, case closed.

6. PackerBacker4Life

PackerBacker4Life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    if i remember correctly i do believe he had some kind steroid issue. I think he failed a drug test but it ended up being a mistake or something. Not sure about the whole story but i do remember hearing about it. Sketchy

7. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Actually, after the combine last year, a site (draftbible) reported that both him and Cushing had failed the combine drug test for steroids.

However, not only the results weren't vehiculated by then, but when they came out, they were negative.

The site dropped the info, as it was bogus.

By the time of the combine, both him and Cushing hadn't taken roids. That is a fact...

We have to presume that CM3 never used roids, because he never tested positive for any...

8. Craig Nall

Craig Nall Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Although he may have possibly did it in the past, I trust him to be smart enough not to take steroids now in the NFL.

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I really, really think Hawk took that road.

I don't think it's a coincidence that his production dropped so drastically from college to rookie year to the next years...

But it's speculation, till something real shows up.

10. A12ROD903

A12ROD903 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    Id like to hope not.... I also like to believe the Packers are honest people. Maybe he is ultimately unable to make that college to pro transition.

As far as Matthews goes unfortunately many people think hes guilty by association, That is the USC LB's from the 09 draft have been guilty of something whether it be legal or trouble with the league. People also say that Matthews went from being a walk-on at USC to a Pro-Bowl linebacker his rookie season so thats proof enough he juiced.

I dont believe it. CM3 comes from a football family, its in their blood. He is used to working hard and I believe thats how he got to where he is today. LEGALLY!

11. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I think that people are taking the "hard work and dedication" part in sports for granted nowadays. As we witnessed today in the Johnny Jolly case there are more of those boneheads, thugs, etc. roaming free in the league. People just aren't seeing the honest, good to reason side of professional sports anymore.

12. A12ROD903

A12ROD903 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    Well thats a topic all in itself lol....

13. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Lol I agree. I didn't mean to sound so insightful. All I was trying to say is that since there are so many wrongdoers in sports it's hard for fans to actually believe when someone is doing the right thing. And Clay Matthews is the latest victim to this new phenomena. I truly believe Matthews is indeed inocent, it's just sad though that there'll still be skeptics unless he actually takes another drug test.

14. turbo69

turbo69 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +41
    Seriously........think about it. The guy was like 160lbs or so.......his first year of college. What does he weigh now........235........240. ?????????? The dude is .......or was on something!

15. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    (When you went to SC, were you 161 pounds?)
    Matthews: No, that weight has been exaggerated tremendously. I want to set the record straight and say I was 228 coming into SC. After camp, around 220. I just worked hard. I'd love for the writer of that article to come see how I train and live a day in my shoes, and he can see how I put on this weight and what not. It was funny, I just heard the other day Aaron Curry was 195 at Wake Forest when he first checked in. People can put on weight. They work hard. It's not that hard provided you have a workman's mentality.

16. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    I don't think he used steroids at all. A person can put on 15 or 20 pounds of muscle a year if they have the right body type (mesomorph), genetics, training, and diet. I also agree that hard work in atheletics is taken for granted. Kurt Warner is a prime example of guy who worked hard and got far.

17. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    My nephew was 5'11" tall when he was a junior in high school and shot up to 6'6" by the time he got to college! His father is 6'4" and his uncle is 6'9" so it is no surprise that my nephew is now this tall. CM3's father and uncle are big men so it is not unreasonable to assume Clay might have been a late bloomer like my nephew was (my nephew is not an athlete).

18. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    (You redshirted and were there a long time, so was it not just the weight room but you hit some growth spurts there too?)
    Matthews: Yeah, absolutely. Fortunately and I guess unfortunately, Matthews are just late bloomers. The same with my dad and my uncle Bruce, we all going into college, we put on a tremendous amount of weight. It was just a little late in the recruiting process so you have to walk on here and there and make a name for yourself. That's what I had to do. You can talk to anyone at that program and they'll say I'm one of the hardest workers and I'm going to be in the weight room. Not just in the weight room, but on the practice field, watching film, game film, and they'll tell you the type of character that I possess.

Packers.com » News » Press Releases » April 30, 2009: Press Conference Transcript - B.J. Raji & Clay Matthews - April 30

19. TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe TheGiftedApe

Ratings:
    +77
    Heres the whole thing that kills the argument, He has put on 2-3 1/2 inches in height on during his time at SC as well. This is an obvious example of genetics, I'd be willing to bet the men in his family don't stop growing till they are 22 or 23. I have some friends from high school that are the same height they were their senior year. I however have grown two inches, and most the guys in my family dont stop growing until they graduate college, not high school. That would mean his frame also grew a lot during this period. Steroids does none of that, you add muscle mass, not bone length. So while there is still a chance that he used roids, I dont think it is the reason for his success even if he did use it. You often put on the most weight when you finish your last growth spirt anyways, and with the amount of lifting he was doing at a program like USC, thats the reason he's a first round draft pick, and not sitting on the couch watching the draft like you or me. Either way, with the way he is going to be scrutinized for the rest of his career, i doubt CM3 is or will be using anytime soon! Too bad he will be linked to cushing for the next 10 years though.

ps: on another subject, how many star defensive players(that dont play for the packers obviously) HAVEN'T been named or linked to steroids.

20. DergaSmash

DergaSmash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Exactly. I couldn't agree more. I am positive that CM3 is steroid free.

21. A12ROD903

A12ROD903 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +22
    Key word, genetics. I think everyone in the Matthews family played or is playing football at some level... probably his g'ma too lol. Some people are blessed with genetics. Us on this forum, are not or we would be in the NFL lol, well I can speak for myself at least.

One way for cm3 to beat this would be to be as productive over the next 2 or 3 seasons as he was his rookie year to prove it wasnt juicing that enabled him to preform the way he did.