Clay Matthews v TJ Watt v Kevin King

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
E
Forget watt, we shoulda went Carl Lawson instead of biegel. But hindsight is always 20/20 and looking back at players we woulda coulda shoulda took in the draft doesn’t amount to much, especially since ted is no in charge to blame.[/I hear you but this wasn’t should of could of blah blah. This was me saying this before the fact.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my thoughts are, some of those guys are on the team and some of them aren't
i hope the ones on our team play well
and i no longer care what the ones who aren't on the team do

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most, myself included, were quick to point out that the comparison needed to be Watt vs both King and Biegel to be fair. I guess it’s just Watt vs King now! I hope King shows out well enough that it doesn’t look like a giant mistake. I was pretty in on both but Watt was a straight up infatuation.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, those are the stat lines for the guys. Thoughts?

You need to attribute some cause to Dom Capers atrocious system. Let's wait till Pettine gets his thing down.

Anyway I don't think Clay's contract will remain this big if he doesn't have a great season this time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The fallout of the Khalil Mack situation seems to indicate that McKenzie is frustrated. I always thought that marriage with him and Gruden wasn’t destined to last. Gruden is going to be the the czar, leaving little room for a GM who actually wants to do something.

Perhaps this will end with McKenzie coming back to work for Gutekunst in Green Bay. He would be a great re-addition to the FO. I’m not totally sure how I feel about his total tenure as a general manager, but he’s certainly super qualified to be somewhere down the chain in a personnel department.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt already has 5 sacks on the season, while King probably had the most rough game of his career. Time to blow new life in this discussion?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can name a host of other coulda shoulda woulda been packers that are playing well now if we want to just cover them all in one go

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Versus a really great corner and an extra 1st round pick.

I might trade that late first and Alexander for Derwin if we’re being honest. Alexander looks nice, James is already a game changer and one of the better defensive players in the nfl. But I’m happy with Alexander and pick.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I might trade that late first and Alexander for Derwin if we’re being honest. Alexander looks nice, James is already a game changer and one of the better defensive players in the nfl. But I’m happy with Alexander and pick.

Yeah I get it. I was all for them drafting a blue chip game changer and like everyone else, I figured Derwin was that type of prospect.

But at the same time, I understand that corner is a more important position, especially in Pettine’s defense, and that there was a bigger need at the position.

Choosing the better of two really good outcomes... that’s what it comes down to.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that reasoning and am not saying it’s wrong... however Alexander looks to be a good pick... with two first round picks next year, if one of them turns out to be a Ha Ha replacement... I’m will not be unhappy.

Reaction score
If we could get King playing 5+ consecutive games or so, then I’d have a better feel for a comparison.
We're basically comparing an injury prone player in King who hasn’t strung enough games together to get an accurate depiction so thatnputs King at a strict disadvantage.

I’d easily take Watt over Clay, one beginning their career while the other is finishing his. One is playing far above their contract while the other hasn’t earned half of his current contract to date. Give me TJ Watt and bank another 10M/year vs. Clays lack of output??
Sign me up and twice on Sunday!!

Reaction score
I understand that reasoning and am not saying it’s wrong... however Alexander looks to be a good pick... with two first round picks next year, if one of them turns out to be a Ha Ha replacement... I’m will not be unhappy.
If possible and if we don’t make it past the wild card round again etc.. I would seriously consider packaging our 2-1st day 2019 draft picks and our 1-2nd round 2019 pick to move up into position to get 2 picks in the teens. #17, #18 etc..

D

Deleted member 6794

Versus a really great corner and an extra 1st round pick.

Don't get me wrong, I like Alexander and the fact the Packers were able to get a first round pick in 2019. The defense might have ended up being more improved with James and only one first rounder next season in the long haul though. Especially as there's a decent chance they have to use one of them on a safety next year.

If possible and if we don’t make it past the wild card round again etc.. I would seriously consider packaging our 2-1st day 2019 draft picks and our 1-2nd round 2019 pick to move up into position to get 2 picks in the teens. #17, #18 etc..

The Packers should be able to move into the top-10 by packing their two first rounders next year if they find a team interested in moving back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there's a decent chance the have to use one on a safety next year, and if they didn't take Alexander this year, there's a decent chance they'd have to use on on a DB next year. I haven't watched a single Charges game. I hear Derwin is doing well. But other than missing a game to injury, there is nothing that I've seen out of Alexander that makes be believe he's not going to be a really really good player for us. Even if he never got any better, he's already a good draft pick. But he will.

D

Deleted member 6794

there's a decent chance the have to use one on a safety next year, and if they didn't take Alexander this year, there's a decent chance they'd have to use on on a DB next year. I haven't watched a single Charges game. I hear Derwin is doing well. But other than missing a game to injury, there is nothing that I've seen out of Alexander that makes be believe he's not going to be a really really good player for us. Even if he never got any better, he's already a good draft pick. But he will.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind Alexander will develop into a good player. James might end up being elite though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander may as well. he has all the ability and he's a real football player. once he gets some experience he'll be better than pretty good, which he already is.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more. I think we missed the boat by not taking Derwin. He’s gonna be a future star at safety, and after all this BS with Ha Ha, we will regret not picking James.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just seem to really dislike King. There’s just something about him. Maybe the fact he can’t play more than 3 games at a time, doesn’t ever seem to make a play on the back end, and his terrible game last week was icing on the cake for me. I just think he’s an average to below average DB, just like most of the DBs we’ve drafted in the last 15 years. Who can name me any good draft pick at DB recently? I can think of Nick Collins, and that’s about it. Some of our better ones were undrafted FA, like Shields and Tramon. I think Jaire has a chance to be a stud, but I wish we would’ve picked Derwin James at 14. We truly miss that game changer back there, and haven’t had it since Woodson and Collins, and until we get that guy, I think we continue to struggle in the back end.

D

Deleted member 6794

Alexander may as well. he has all the ability and he's a real football player. once he gets some experience he'll be better than pretty good, which he already is.

I agree that it's possible Alexander will develop into an elite player. There's more uncertainty about that than with James though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's possible Alexander will develop into an elite player. There's more uncertainty about that than with James though.
But now you're trying to convince me what's better, cherry or apple pie and i'm sitting here like, Just put some ice cream on it and i'm pretty happy.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, I know, im beating a dead horse.. but its weird how chain reactions happen. if we paid hayward and hyde, would we of had a no brainer pick for TJ Watt? and then this year stay at 14 for Derwin James....MY God. I like Alexander very much, but Watt and James vs Alexander, King, and Jackson is just sick. I quess my point is not so much bad drafting, just after time how stuff ends up.

H

HardRightEdge

I know, I know, im beating a dead horse.. but its weird how chain reactions happen. if we paid hayward and hyde, would we of had a no brainer pick for TJ Watt? and then this year stay at 14 for Derwin James....MY God. I like Alexander very much, but Watt and James vs Alexander, King, and Jackson is just sick. I quess my point is not so much bad drafting, just after time how stuff ends up.
Speaking of chain reactions, if you sign Hayward and Hyde, you have to go back and cut players to make cap room for them. I can think of some names that might be popular in that regard in retrospect, but given their dead cap you'd have cut even more players. As for T.J. Watt, according to one report the scouting department was lined up behind that pick regardless, but Thompson went the other way.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Kevin King is unavailable, again, for the game against the hags. What is the problem with this guy? Is he too fragile for the NFL, a victim of bad luck, is there any chance that he ever completes 12 to 16 games a season? I’d take 12.

And on top of that, I’ve been OK, but certainly not overwhelmed with his performance when he is playing. That may have to do with lingering injuries, but that doesn’t help. I never expected the second coming of Richard Sherman, but physically he’s close - tall, big wingspan, speed. Geez what’s up? At least we’re getting a stellar rookie season from Alexander, but is it worth holding a roster spot for a guy who can’t play anyway? As for the TJ Watt issue, well, don’t get me started. And at the time the Packers needed help at CB more than they needed help at LB. Hindsight is 20/20 and the past is the past. But I’m human, and can’t help thinking what could have been with Watt AND Martinez playing in the backfield. To sum it up, I expect King will have a short career, short of a miracle. And looking ahead to next year, and hopefully a lot of cap space, the Packers can address CB in FA, and get one of the top edge rushers in what is supposed to be a deep class at that position. I’m just frustrated, probably like very one else on this forum. Just beat the hags. Then I’ll be happy, for a few days.........

Staff online

Latest posts