Clay Matthews v TJ Watt v Kevin King

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol at all of the "gosh golly, its only one game, don't over-react" posts. Did any of those read the primary comment, where he said that this would be a weekly look to track the progress of each and that OP was willing to use it as evidence against himself for purposes of crow eating?

Wow, someone that actually understood what a wrote! I am not saying that am right and fully admit I may have to eat crow at the end of the year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You should reread my post if you think I am crowing. Not understanding what someone clearly stated then calling them bush league is bush league. Be better than that.

It's a whole thread about how you wanted Watt and let's see what happens next. What's not to get?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one incredibly pointless thread. You simply cannot compare the value of two players that play completely different positions by comparing box score stats. All this is going to do is produce meaningless arguments. I would lock it simply because nothing good can come of it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one incredibly pointless thread. You simply cannot compare the value of two players that play completely different positions by comparing box score stats. All this is going to do is produce meaningless arguments. I would lock it simply because nothing good can come of it.
That's why you are you and me is me.

Reaction score
What FA CB are you signing with Clay's contract money?

Until you answer that, this is all irrelevant posturing.

And please only pick one :)
You! That's what my last girlfriend accused me of!! "Irrelevant Posturing"!! She also falsely accused me of cheating and said I could "pick only one"! :confused:

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yet another person not understanding that am calling myself out for being rather boisterous on my opinion on this matter. I would also state that if you do not realize there is great interest in seeing how these 3 players compare to each other, I am not sure you have been paying attention.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed, except for the fact he is not even contributing as of yet?
I interpreted your "goof for a CB" to be a typo with the intended meaning "good for a CB." It's the only way I could make sense of it.

Otherwise, carry on.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that playing only 6 snaps is in King's favor. If he were better, he would be playing more snaps. While its silly to compare production after one week, if TJ plays 60 snaps per game because he's a beast and King plays sparingly because he isnt ready, then the comparison gets more striking as time goes on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect that King will get more playing time in different games. Physically he may be exactly what they want, but let's hope to not be in a position where we need him to play more snaps. House was here before, he knows the D and is capable. Randall and Rollins both looked like they guys they did as rookies. We are better back there right now than last year even with almost exactly the same guys. I'm guessing they want consistency and solid in these first 2 weeks over letting the kid grow on the field. These are 2 big games against teams where it's going to matter when Dec. Jan roll around. My guess is they'll pick the situations for him to get in and get some experience and let's hope it's when the coaches decide it's a good time. Not because we're down to nobody and in a slug fest with one of the leagues best.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If R & R contribute and are just average, I never expected King to play much until after the bye week. MM and DC typically ease rookies into the line up if at all possible. Then during the home stretch, they will again stay with the veterans. The time for rookies to get a lot of playing time is during weeks 4-12.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't say that playing only 6 snaps is in King's favor. If he were better, he would be playing more snaps.

I don't consider King having played only six snaps vs. the Seahawks as a positive, me mentioning it was just meant to be informative.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion it doesn't make any sense to compare the performance of some rookies after a only a single game. FWIW King only played six snaps.
This isn't just about comparing rookies, clay is also involved, it is right in the thread title. In fact clay is the first person mentioned, I am not sure why people think this is some sort of bashing King thread. I like the King pick, I understand the pick and think it was a good pick. However, I think a FA CB, getting rid of clay's bloated undeserving contract and drafting Watt would have been smarter. To me this more about comparing clay and watt that king and watt.

D

Deleted member 6794

This isn't just about comparing rookies, clay is also involved, it is right in the thread title. In fact clay is the first person mentioned, I am not sure why people think this is some sort of bashing King thread. I like the King pick, I understand the pick and think it was a good pick. However, I think a FA CB, getting rid of clay's bloated undeserving contract and drafting Watt would have been smarter. To me this more about comparing clay and watt that king and watt.

Just to clarify, in my opinion it doesn't make any sense to compare T.J. Watt to anybody in the league after he has played in only one game.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I am willing to bet that most people thought I would not be be back but here I am for week 2 comparisons.

Week 2

Watt: 2 tackles, 1 batted pass and a groin injury that kept him out for the majority of the game.

He was looking good before the injury, high motor, always going and around the ball.

Matthews:

2 tackles, 3 ast and 1.5 sacks

Clay looked really good, unfortunately little pressure by the rest of the team and as usual this defense in general has a hard time looking good on defense against any good offense

King:

2 tackles, 1 ast.

I am probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay the $40 for pff so I can get more advanced stats.

That said after Randall stunk up the joint, King was in. I thought he looked great, I don't recall him giving up any completions and he seemed to play fast and physical. To me anyway he was the one breath of fresh air in that putrid defense last night.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Well I am willing to bet that most people thought I would not be be back but here I am for week 2 comparisons.

Week 2

Watt: 2 tackles, 1 batted pass and a groin injury that kept him out for the majority of the game.

He was looking good before the injury, high motor, always going and around the ball.

Matthews:

2 tackles, 3 ast and 1.5 sacks

Clay looked really good, unfortunately little pressure by the rest of the team and as usual this defense in general has a hard time looking good on defense against any good offense

King:

2 tackles, 1 ast.

I am probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay the $40 for pff so I can get more advanced stats.

That said after Randall stunk up the joint, King was in. I thought he looked great, I don't recall him giving up any completions and he seemed to play fast and physical. To me anyway he was the one breath of fresh air in that putrid defense last night.

Why ??? Where have you been ?

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why ??? Where have you been ?

Nowhere, when I started this thread to have a season long comparison of these 3 guys, I think most people felt I did just because watt had a great first game and would not be back if watt had a bad game and Matthews & King had good games. Some posters even said as much.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I understand you wanted TT to draft Watt...but how would that fix our secondary? Take a look at how the FA CBS have been playing around the league in weeks 1 and 2. Gillmore looks like he could be benched. Logan Ryan had a horrible week 1 and just a decent week 2. AJ Bouye has been decent. But these are monster contracts. So far out of all of FA the best signing to a new team looks to be Davon House as of right now. We got him at value too. Kevin King played great last night and we have him for 4 years at value. Yes, we should have restructured CM3's contract but he has been on fire the last two weeks. If we drop CM3 and passed on a good CB in the draft for Watt, we are still in the same position we were in last year.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand you wanted TT to draft Watt...but how would that fix our secondary? Take a look at how the FA CBS have been playing around the league in weeks 1 and 2. Gillmore looks like he could be benched. Logan Ryan had a horrible week 1 and just a decent week 2. AJ Bouye has been decent. But these are monster contracts. So far out of all of FA the best signing to a new team looks to be Davon House as of right now. We got him at value too. Kevin King played great last night and we have him for 4 years at value. Yes, we should have restructured CM3's contract but he has been on fire the last two weeks. If we drop CM3 and passed on a good CB in the draft for Watt, we are still in the same position we were in last year.
Once again, this isn't just about drafting watt, unlike most people who are as boisterous about things on this forum board, this is about me checking myself as well. As far as how I would fix things, I would start by trying. What is the saying? The definition of insanity is trying the same things over again expecting different results. Ted just does the same thing over and over again and guess what? The results are never different, make the playoffs because the other teams in our division are not very good and then get destroyed in the playoffs by superior teams. Insanity.

Members online

Latest posts