Clay Matthews v TJ Watt v Kevin King

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Kevin King needs more snaps. Considerably more snaps. The next two weeks, we've got Cincinnati and Chicago at home, two teams that will not be mistaken for offensive juggernauts. Give him 1st string duty and allow him to get acclimated.

We're going to need him.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin King needs more snaps. Considerably more snaps. The next two weeks, we've got Cincinnati and Chicago at home, two teams that will not be mistaken for offensive juggernauts. Give him 1st string duty and allow him to get acclimated.

We're going to need him.
Agreed, Randall was simply putrid again, the experiment with him as an outside starting corner should be over

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We're going to need him.

Couldn't agree more. Also, for the next game or two, any of the key injured players who aren't 100% should sit. Take the long view and get healthy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Randall was simply putrid again, the experiment with him as an outside starting corner should be over

TT has built the defense with the assumption that Randall and Rollins will be good players. The team doesn't have any choice but to continue to try and play Randall. I mean, King looked good but that was relative to Randall and Rollins. The guy is still pretty raw. Yeah, he needs to play more but if the staff gives up on Randall then they're pretty much giving up on one of their few major options at corner. The coaching staff has to hope that Randall can turn this around because Thompson hasn't really given them any other choice.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
TT has built the defense with the assumption that Randall and Rollins will be good players. The team doesn't have any choice but to continue to try and play Randall. I mean, King looked good but that was relative to Randall and Rollins. The guy is still pretty raw. Yeah, he needs to play more but if the staff gives up on Randall then they're pretty much giving up on one of their few major options at corner. The coaching staff has to hope that Randall can turn this around because Thompson hasn't really given them any other choice.
And again, that's the key element that I was frustrated about in the offseason. It's great if Randall and Rollins improve and make huge leaps forward. But if they don't, what's plan B? It doesn't appear as if there's ever been a plan B.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
32 snaps, no completions, that is good relative to anyone. Randall is horrible King should get the starts moving forward. I am not saying he is never going to give up a completion but Randall can't get it done, so you give the next best option a chance and you keep going until you find someone who can

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cm3 just been collecting a check the past 3 seasons. Rollins and Rollins should be playing Canadian football at best. Wr's still struggling to beat man coverage Aaron still trying to by time for receivers to get open, doesn't help Bennett has stone hands now I see why he was mainly a blocker in Chicago and New England, but I must say Randall Cobb been looking nice so far this season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
cm3 just been collecting a check the past 3 seasons. Rollins and Rollins should be playing Canadian football at best. Wr's still struggling to beat man coverage Aaron still trying to by time for receivers to get open, doesn't help Bennett has stone hands now I see why he was mainly a blocker in Chicago and New England, but I must say Randall Cobb been looking nice so far this season.
Woo Lawd. We don't need two Rollins'. I'd have no hair left. ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, it comes down to positional value.

CB's are hard to find. Edge rushers are too, but they're easier.

Last draft was a great, great draft for CB's, which is why King was available at 33. If it's a normal year, he's drafted in the top 20. I can find an edge like Watt in most drafts in the top 3 rounds. So if I can get a DB plus another edge that is slightly below value of Watt, for Watt...well, that's a no-brainer.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if worse comes to worse and King has some severe growing pains, I'd much rather watch King suck it up out there than Randall. I've seen enough of his suck.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still pissed these two went 1st and 2nd. A corner from the MAC? and a former safety from the Pack 12?? Ted Thompson has to be a moron. The defense is suffering because he can't draft in the 1st rd.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it! Somebody willing to call a spade a spade, Matthews has really been stinking up the joint the last few years. I'm not writing Bennett off quit yet, but Matthews on the other hand can go drop a deuce elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

Take a look at how the FA CBS have been playing around the league in weeks 1 and 2. So far out of all of FA the best signing to a new team looks to be Davon House as of right now. We got him at value too.

You gotta be kidding, right???

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Week 3 update:

Watt: did not play, out with groin injury

Perhaps it is a good the Pack did not draft because if he was a packer his leg may have fallen off instead of "just" a groin injury...

Matthews: 3 tkls 2 of which were assists

From what I remember, I saw him being disruptive maybe 2 or 3 times but was pretty much a non factor

King: 7 tackles, 2 of which were assisted

There were a couple plays he looked bad, particularly the td pass to the running back who should have Ben covered by him or jones, not sure who screwed up but obvious rookie mistake there. Otherwise King looked really good most of the day

Josh Jones: I am mentioning him this because he had an obvious Note worthy performance with 12 tackles one of which was assisted, three tackles for loss two of which were sacks. This kid is exciting to watch and while it is too early to make a judgment Ted may have struck gold with this pick

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That TD pass to Gio wasn't King's fault at all, and while you could find some fault with Jones there (but only for communication, and that's a stretch), it wasn't his fault either. That one is on Martinez.

Reaction score
Still pissed these two went 1st and 2nd. A corner from the MAC? and a former safety from the Pack 12?? Ted Thompson has to be a moron. The defense is suffering because he can't draft in the 1st rd.
In 13 drafts he's had 2 drafts he did not pick in the 1st round.
In the remaining 11 drafts he's had just 3 top 20 picks overall since 2005 (a 5th, a 9th and a 16th). One of those 3 retired for personal reasons (BJ Raji)
9 of Ted's draft picks were 21st or greater and 1 pick was the 32nd pick overall (Derrick Sherrod). Of the other 8 you have: Aaron Rodgers, Clay Matthews, Brian Bulaga, Nick Perry, HaHa Dix and Kenny Clark filling out a span of 13 years and they are all starters on the 2017 squad. 5 of those 8 have been elected to the probowl in their career. I would bet that list may grow.
While we can all agree to gripe about a particular player, I think it's unfair to say Ted has not had 1st round success.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Baldinger had a nice breakdown of a great pass rush from Matthews on his Twitter.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Heard some scouts thought watt was to inconsistent.. And that Vince was the better valued pick

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard some scouts thought watt was to inconsistent.. And that Vince was the better valued pick

Hmm, I admit I am diehard badger fan, but I don't think inconsistent is a word I would ever use to describe him. Vince is a solid player, really solid. I think he is less athletically gifted than Watt but I really liked that pick, I think there is tremendous value picking Jim up in the fifth.

I mention the diehard fan part because I watch every second of every badger game just like the packer game. So when I am high on a badger player, it is not just because they are a badger it is because I have watched every single snap they play.

Also for the record, it is not often that I advocate for drafting Badgers unless they are oline as you really can't go wrong drafting oline from wisconsin. But there have been a handful of other players I thought were surefire NFL players namely: al toon, lee Evans, Chris chambers, Ron Dayne, Joe thomas (Joe was pretty much the most guaranteed NFL stud of the group) Owen Daniels, watt, Borland, Gordon, and watt again.

The only one I was really wrong on was Dayne, the rest have been good to phenomenal players in the NFL. I only wish I had been on this board for years so there is post history saying these guys would be great.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems most people don’t have as much interest in this as I do and I almost forgot about it but here are the stats and thoughts from week 4.

Matthews: 3 tackles and a sack.

Clay is currently on pace for 10 sacks which I frankly would be estatic about however with clay I would like to see mor consistency as it seems like he makes a flashy play or two and then appears to disappear for the rest of the game.

King: 2 tackles

Normal stats don’t show the impact he is having so far, while he has a misstep here and there. So far the dB unit has been miles better with him on the field. I really want to get excited about this guy but most of us were pretty excited about Randall and Rollins their rookie seasons. That said so far so good, I real like what I have seen so far and this week he may very well get quite a few snaps against dez.

Watt: 4 tackles, 1 for a loss and 1 pass defended.

After nearly 2 full games out due to injury he finally made it back on the field.

OP
OP
Ogsponge

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So resurrecting this before the new season.

Final stats:

Clay: 43 tackles 7.5 sacks

TJ: 54 tackles 7 sacks 1 int

King: who? Oh ya that guy that is injured again...

Gilmore: 50 tackles 2 int

Anyway, those are the stat lines for the guys. Thoughts?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget watt, we shoulda went Carl Lawson instead of biegel. But hindsight is always 20/20 and looking back at players we woulda coulda shoulda took in the draft doesn’t amount to much, especially since ted is no in charge to blame.