Clay Matthews & BJ Raji

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am becoming a strong believer he is the type of linebacker GB was hoping in Hawk. I really think he could be a Packer great. That sack on Stafford on Thanksgiving was awesome, chasing him around before finally drilling him. Loved it.

And Raji's tackle where he plowed right through the line and destroyed Kevin Smith in the backfield was great too. I think finally TT hit some good first rounders in light of the last few (Hawk is good, not great and Harrel is well... Harrel.)

Something excited could be brewing in the GB youth and I am pretty pumped to see what the years to come have in store with those guys.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Lord - these were 1st round draft picks! They are EXPECTED to play solid NFL football, ya know? No offense and don't mean to rain on yer parade, but pardon me if I don't get all warm and fuzzy when high investments show signs of a good return.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Matthews is playing great. The Raji hit was fun, but if you watched the replay, he kind of slipped the block. Not like he powered through the guy (that would have been awesome). I think Raji will be good I just haven't see great out of him yet like Matthews.

I personally think the hit on Romo by Woodson is the best sack of the year by the GB D. That was awesome.

NFL Videos: Woodson sack-fumble

Guess in a sense it's a Matthews/Woodson highlight.

OP
OP
dansz15

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha you really enjoy shooting down every conversation lately don't ya? I won't post anymore I guess :p

Some first round draft picks provide grit and holes in a position a team needs desperately. One example was Jordy Nelson, even though a second rounder he was to fill a hole and do it well.

Also, it has been a while for Packer fans to be really happy with a first rounder for a while after Rodgers was drafted.

Murgen: I had pretty poor writing, when I said plowed it was in a hey I am in the backfield relatively untouched kind of way, haha. But none the less you are correct it was great. I am excited for tonight to see what happens against the Ravens D to be totally honest.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Hauschild, chill out mang. This is a good thread, because no, not every 1st round pick plays well in the NFL. Mathews is playing beyond "well", and Raji is starting to show signs of something after a bust in the beginning of the season.

Read this before you post about how first rounders should be playing well no matter what: Worst all-time first-round picks - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hauschild, chill out mang. This is a good thread, because no, not every 1st round pick plays well in the NFL. Mathews is playing beyond "well", and Raji is starting to show signs of something after a bust in the beginning of the season.

Read this before you post about how first rounders should be playing well no matter what: Worst all-time first-round picks - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Again, pardon me if I choose not to accept mediocrity. If it helps you guys sleep better at nite knowing that Green Bay rarely hits on a 1st round pick (or, any other NFL team for that matter), that's yer bidness. Just don't expect me to have yer back.

We're paying guys millions of dollars to evaluate talent. I expect and demand a solid product.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Lord - these were 1st round draft picks! They are EXPECTED to play solid NFL football, ya know? No offense and don't mean to rain on yer parade, but pardon me if I don't get all warm and fuzzy when high investments show signs of a good return.

Like the way AP showed a good return last night on the Vikings investment? Seriously, where was that guy last night?

LostnSpace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP?

Like the way AP showed a good return last night on the Vikings investment? Seriously, where was that guy last night?

"AP" was still going over 100mph in a 55 zone. He has trouble with his speed sensors so Chilly put him on Cruise Control.
But who needs a run game? NOT #4...

oops nevermind... After the game the "Old Warhorse" was heard to mumble "just warming up for the play-offs"

Troides

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, pardon me if I choose not to accept mediocrity. If it helps you guys sleep better at nite knowing that Green Bay rarely hits on a 1st round pick (or, any other NFL team for that matter), that's yer bidness. Just don't expect me to have yer back.

We're paying guys millions of dollars to evaluate talent. I expect and demand a solid product.

Hah, I can tell that you cause this type of trouble all the time... of course GM's expect a player they draft to be a solid product, other wise they would not draft them. No need to state the obvious.
It's not that easy to find quality franchise players as you seem to be saying, when you draft players you are pretty much hoping that out of the bunch you get a couple good ones. There are tons of players that were supposed to be really good in the NFL, but ended up being complete busts. I think you could use a niceness pill and chilax.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing to remember is that Matthews looks like the old AJ Hawk. Hawk's rookie season was his best so far in his career. I don't really know what to say about whether Matthews will stay consistent once this season is over.

The Wok

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk never looked like Clay Matthews looks right now, different type of LB IMO.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

Another happy thread murdered by negativity.

People that are fans of a team, you know, not you, are generally happy when people come in and make an impact. We don't say "that's what they were supposed to do" because there are no guarantees.

Allow us to be happy, for once. I suppose if this was a thread saying how well Harvin has played this year you wouldn't have said what you said.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading up to get Clay Matthews was a great draft day move by Ted Thompson. I think I'll send him a Christmas card, I feel so good about it.

OP
OP
dansz15

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a vikings fan, what do you expect?

Not much but at least he just makes Viking fans look mean and always crabby :p
haha. I would be too if we never won anything worthwhile.:viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux::viksux:

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because a player is drafted in the 1st round and expected to play good doesn't mean that is always the case.

Jamarcus Russell ring a bell? I know there are a ton more and I will post lots more if you like.

Members online

Latest posts