CJ Spiller

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd like to see us sign Spiller if he comes relatively cheap. He'd give us explosion out of the back field and a good check down RB who can take it to the house on any given run or catch.

I seriously doubt he'll demand a big contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what happened to him? I haven't paid much attention, but he was good, came into the league and I saw him some and he looked like he was going to have a pretty good career, then I never heard much about him anymore.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what happened to him? I haven't paid much attention, but he was good, came into the league and I saw him some and he looked like he was going to have a pretty good career, then I never heard much about him anymore.

He got injured.

The dude is a burner though. Hes also a very adequate pass blocker. He'd make an excellent 3rd down RB for us. Rodgers has never had a RB like CJ Spiller that can run pass routes or take screens to the house from 80 yards out.

Ive often wondered if our screen game suffers due to the type of RB's we always have (big pounders) and I wonder if we had a smaller extra fast RB that if our screen game would be on point.......

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the other needs of this team, I would think spending money on a free agent running back would be literally at the bottom of the list along with looking for a starting QB.

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.nfl.com/player/c.j.spiller/497204/profile

Couple of really outstanding years (with a bad team) but (anyone know why) never started all the games he played.
He's been part of a two-back system sharing touches with Fred Jackson when both have been healthy, a rarity anymore in the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/player/fredjackson/2506871/profile

Who starts is only an indication of who's on the field for the first snap. Sometimes they've both been on the field simultaneously, sometimes not in single back or with a fullback. Spiller's been more than a 3rd. down back but with fewer touches than a feature back.

Spiller looked bad when he came back at the end of the season, but that might have been because he came back early for the playoff challenge. If he practiced before coming back, it was only for a day or two.

Spiller has been injury prone but a dynamic player when healthy. If healthy and cheap he'd be a good addition. If healthy though, he won't be all that cheap. He's still in negotiation with the Bills but there seems to be some distance between the bid and the ask.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's been part of a two-back system sharing touches with Fred Jackson when both have been healthy, a rarity anymore in the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/player/fredjackson/2506871/profile

Who starts is only an indication of who's on the field for the first snap. Sometimes they've both been on the field simultaneously, sometimes not in single back or with a fullback. Spiller's been more than a 3rd. down back but with fewer touches than a feature back.

Spiller looked bad when he came back at the end of the season, but that might have been because he came back early for the playoff challenge. If he practiced before coming back, it was only for a day or two.

Spiller has been injury prone but a dynamic player when healthy. If healthy and cheap he'd be a good addition. If healthy though, he won't be all that cheap. He's still in negotiation with the Bills but there seems to be some distance between the bid and the ask.
He may not be the kind of guy Thompson would want to bring in to the Packer's locker room.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spiller won't get a huge deal, but he'd also be asking for more than what we should pay a 2nd/3rd string running back.

If we want another RB other than Harris it will be through the draft or undrafted free agency just like how TT fills 99% of his roster spots.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, it was a combination of injury and the Bills seriously not knowing how to use him. It would probably be a pipe dream, but I would not be opposed for the right price.

D

Deleted member 6794

He got injured.

The dude is a burner though. Hes also a very adequate pass blocker. He'd make an excellent 3rd down RB for us. Rodgers has never had a RB like CJ Spiller that can run pass routes or take screens to the house from 80 yards out.

Ive often wondered if our screen game suffers due to the type of RB's we always have (big pounders) and I wonder if we had a smaller extra fast RB that if our screen game would be on point.......

Lacy turned into a reliable third down back last season and had two receptions for 50+ yards, one for a TD last season. In comparison Spiller has one career reception of 50+ yards.

I don´t see the need to add an free agent RB as the Packers have more pressing needs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What's wrong with Spiller in the locker room?
I don't know. Maybe Ted interviewed him at the combine and didn't think he was the type of guy that would fit well. I guess I'm just saying that just because he is fast and talented doesn't mean he's going to end up in Green Bay. The guy came out of the Clemson program before Dabo Sweeney was there after all.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know. Maybe Ted interviewed him at the combine and didn't think he was the type of guy that would fit well. I guess I'm just saying that just because he is fast and talented doesn't mean he's going to end up in Green Bay. The guy came out of the Clemson program before Dabo Sweeney was there after all.
Let me understand this.

You concluded that Spiller is a bad locker room guy because Thompson interviewed him and then didn't trade up from #23 to #8 to draft him?

I have no idea what Debo Sweeney has to do with anything, but as a matter of fact Sweeney was named interim head coach in 2008 and was formalized as head coach in 2009. Spiller was drafted in 2010.

Spiller had his Clemson jersey retired. That's generally not done for a locker room problem.

If you don't like the player, don't like the possible cost, are concerned about his injury history, or are concerned with how he'd fit in the Packers' offensive scheme...fine. I'd have those concerns as well.

But why impugn his reputation?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy turned into a reliable third down back last season and had two receptions for 50+ yards, one for a TD last season. In comparison Spiller has one career reception of 50+ yards.

I don´t see the need to add an free agent RB as the Packers have more pressing needs.

I'm talking about a RB with pure raw speed that puts fear into defenses. Rodgers has never had a toy like that.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me understand this.

You concluded that Spiller is a bad locker room guy because Thompson interviewed him and then didn't trade up from #23 to #8 to draft him?

I have no idea what Debo Sweeney has to do with anything, but as a matter of fact Sweeney was named interim head coach in 2008 and was formalized as head coach in 2009. Spiller was drafted in 2010.

Spiller had his Clemson jersey retired. That's generally not done for a locker room problem.

If you don't like the player, don't like the possible cost, are concerned about his injury history, or are concerned with how he'd fit in the Packers' offensive scheme...fine. I'd have those concerns as well.

But why impugn his reputation?
I didn't impugn his reputation. I also didn't conclude anything. YOU are putting YOUR words in my mouth. You're creating a strawman HRE.

I merely suggested that perhaps Ted interviewed him and didn't think he'd fit.
Thompson has a small draft board. That means that a lot of talented players don't make his board. Sweeney is showing signs of changing the culture at Clemson.
IMO, it was terrible at that place for years.

H

HardRightEdge

I didn't impugn his reputation. I also didn't conclude anything. YOU are putting YOUR words in my mouth. You're creating a strawman HRE.

I merely suggested that perhaps Ted interviewed him and didn't think he'd fit.
Thompson has a small draft board. That means that a lot of talented players don't make his board. Sweeney is showing signs of changing the culture at Clemson.
IMO, it was terrible at that place for years.
No straw man was involved. You said, "He may not be the kind of guy Thompson would want to bring in to the Packer's locker room."

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's easily verified. And already commented on.

A) sometimes The obvious needs to be pointed out and repeated

B) that fact gets my vote for the most probable reason that CJ Spiller did not wind up in Green and Gold.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm talking about a RB with pure raw speed that puts fear into defenses. Rodgers has never had a toy like that.

Lacy is a pretty good receiver as well and can turn a short pass into a big gain. In addition he's a better pass blocker than Spiller. There's no need to bring Spiller in.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts