Chiefs To Interview Packers OC Philban For HC Job?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Apparently there is great dissatisfaction with Cassel and the Chiefs have been known to do stuff like this in the past. Here is the article; http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/01/04/the-chiefs-may-be-fishing-for-a-new-qb/

Thanks for the link, that's pretty interesting.

If I was a GM or owner of a team, I'd go after a coach or offensive coordinator that can develop a quarterback. Most particularly, I'd want someone that could do it like the guys in Carolina with Cam Newton. The last kind of offensive mind I would want is John Fox in Denver, (even though most of that isn't really his fault, he knows his quarterback can't complete passes.)

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I hope we can keep all the assistant coaches in place. I don't want anybody leaving. I would have though the Cheifs would stick with Crennel anyway. He's a great coach and the players love him

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Christ, the Colts have more problems besides what's on the field. I've had this odd feeling all year that if they drafted Luck, Manning is going to want to leave.

Yep.

Not much more to say. Irsay has his hands full thats for sure.

I do kinda wonder if the Peyton/Luck thing is going to scare some off though.....

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we can keep all the assistant coaches in place. I don't want anybody leaving. I would have though the Cheifs would stick with Crennel anyway. He's a great coach and the players love him
I am definitely with you, I am selfish in that regard. I want to keep all our good coaches and players but I realize it's best for them to move on sometimes.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I am definitely with you, I am selfish in that regard. I want to keep all our good coaches and players but I realize it's best for them to move on sometimes.

I just don't know why anyone would want to leave a winning organization to join a losing one. Usually the hassle, dysfunction and the pressure they are under to help turn it around isn't worth the raise in pay or the change on the totem pole. And with how impatient organizations are this day in age, they usually just end up getting fired after a couple seasons anyway.

I'm confident though that we will keep a majority of our coaches and staff and will make up for the losses and keep rolling.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't know why anyone would want to leave a winning organization to join a losing one. Usually the hassle, dysfunction and the pressure they are under to help turn it around isn't worth the raise in pay or the change on the totem pole. And with how impatient organizations are this day in age, they usually just end up getting fired after a couple seasons anyway.

I'm confident though that we will keep a majority of our coaches and staff and will make up for the losses and keep rolling.

The same argument though could be made for Matt Flynn being a back up, if he had the opportunity to stay in a winning team as a back up or be a starting quarterback in a losing team which do you think he would choose?

Thats why the coaches are here, the end prize for them is to be a head coach, thats why they started coaching :)
Id be happy for him if he got a starting job as a head coach.

Plus im sure Aaron and MM would be able to compensate with him leaving, MM is a very offensively minded coach.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The same argument though could be made for Matt Flynn being a back up, if he had the opportunity to stay in a winning team as a back up or be a starting quarterback in a losing team which do you think he would choose?

Thats why the coaches are here, the end prize for them is to be a head coach, thats why they started coaching :)

Plus im sure Aaron and MM would be able to compensate with him leaving, MM is a very offensively minded coach.

True. Also, a lot of men like the challenge of taking on a faltering organization and fixing it. Sometimes its more about the challenge than the money. I mean, how cool is it to be able to say; "When I went in there, things were a mess. Now it's a successful organization. This is what I accomplished"?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to imagine leaving the Packers organization no matter how good or bad they may be doing at the time. I mean, of course I am super-crazy-biased...but this is the most historic and legendary team in the nfl and always will be. there is no better team to be affiliated with. its just another reason why our last quarterback is SO hated. its not like he left the lions to do all that spiteful and drama-queen ****.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Now in the media they are saying Oakland is trying to go after Packers a Packers Vice President of Football Operations (or GM, not very sure)

That must be their idea without Al Davis around, try and steal the good team's office lol

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
In addition to what has already been posted above, it seems to me that everyone I know (myself included) always thinks -- no matter how good the organization is -- that there is something that they would do differently that would improve things, going to another place to be the "one in charge" gives you the chance to do things your way. As competitive as these guys are, I would guess that has some appeal as well.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

Being the back-up QB is the best job in the world.

You stand on the sidelines with a clipboard, get paid good money and you're a QB so you still get groupies either way.

I'd love to be a back-up QB. Plus Flynn gets the rings too.

But I do like Flynn and hope he has success wherever he ends up. But coaching staff is something I don't think we can afford to have fall apart

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being the back-up QB is the best job in the world.

You stand on the sidelines with a clipboard, get paid good money and you're a QB so you still get groupies either way.

I'd love to be a back-up QB. Plus Flynn gets the rings too.

But I do like Flynn and hope he has success wherever he ends up. But coaching staff is something I don't think we can afford to have fall apart

I think you missed my point.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I think you missed my point.

I didn't. I get your point. I understand wanting to move on to bigger and better things/roles. But personally I wouldn't do it when I'm already in a great situation with a great team, close to being part of a dynasty and a team that probably has the richest tradition and history of any team in the league.

Just me though

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
There are pros and cons moving to a HC position. Packers could be such a dynasty. But also, it is tempting to coach your own team.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts