Chiefs To Interview Packers OC Philban For HC Job?

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Kansas City's search for a new head coach has begun, with the Chiefs scheduled to interview Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin on Wednesday, according to a league source.

Oh Noes!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't they all wait till after the post season?
Isn't there some unfinished business that needs to get taken care of first?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And our Director of player personnel, McKenzie is being interviewed in Oakland. If he gets the job, Eliot Wolf will probably go with him. It looks like the vultures are gonna pick the flesh off of the Packers staff bones. I also don't like that all this can go on before the play offs. It has to be a distraction.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, isn't one of the Packers coaches going to Penn State to fill in Joe Paterno's shoes?

And during the Rose Bowl, they showed the OC and claim he is going to head coach in ArmPittsburg. (College, we think.)

Is this setting some kind of record of most coaches from Wisconsin going to other jobs?
I dunno why anyone would leave a championship team to go coach either a worse team or a team based in worse locations.
It's like moving up and down in a career at the same time.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
They all need to hold the freak off here.

Wait and be patient. There are job openings up in a team with the first pick in the draft which is a delicious carrot to dangle. ;) But, I swear I did hear the Colts have interest in a few guys on the Packers but will wait until the Packers finish the playoffs. Classy Colts as always.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just think about some of the Packers assistants who became head coaches after Holmgren's Super Bowls; Gruden, Reid, Mariucci, Sherman, Morninwheg, Jauron, Shurmur, Zorn, and Rhoads.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
BTW I am not sure it is a distraction. This stuff happens. I remember when the Pats won their third SB over the Eagles it was a known fact they were losing Weiss/Crennel and Mangini.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Kansas City would be best keeping Crennel as their head coach and not going after another guy.

That entire team is a mess.
Matt Cassell is one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league to barely complete 50% of his passes and lose a bunch of games, and their only good WR (Bowe) don't jump high enough to knock a ball down when he knows it's about to be intercepted (Watch the last play of the Pittsburgh game) Crennel had their defense playing much better after they fired Tod Haley, the Chiefs defense isn't all that bad in times, it's the predictable, inconsistency of the offense. Their biggest problem entering the season was letting offensive coordinator Charlie Wiess go. They didn't even try to find a suitable replacement.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
BTW I am not sure it is a distraction. This stuff happens. I remember when the Pats won their third SB over the Eagles it was a known fact they were losing Weiss/Crennel and Mangini.

Mangini, that's another dud from the Belichek tree, just like Josh McDaniels. The media just drools over anyone that comes from Belichek but they end up sucking, and now Mangini is on ESPN like he's some mega genius commenting how bad some teams are lol.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Mangini, that's another dud from the Belichek tree, just like Josh McDaniels. The media just drools over anyone that comes from Belichek but they end up sucking, and now Mangini is on ESPN like he's some mega genius commenting how bad some teams are lol.
Don't bash ESPN! Trent dilfer is on there as a qb analyst and he was the best qb ever! Just look at his super bowl stats.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You guys might find this interestesting, from twitter:
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey turned down the chance to interview for the Colts general manager job.

I guess Dorsey is not interested in the Colts trainwreck?

And it's not just the Packers for playoff teams:
The Indianapolis Colts' search for their next general manager already is underway, league sources said Wednesday.

Colts owner Jim Irsay has contacted several teams for permission to interview candidates who are under contract elsewhere, and he also is interviewing some currently on staff. The quick movement follows the firing of team president Bill Polian and general manager Chris Polian on Monday.

Colts director of player personnel Tom Telesco is under consideration, according to sources familiar with the hiring process, and Baltimore Ravens personnel executive Eric DeCosta also is high on the list. According to sources, the Colts have asked for permission to interview DeCosta, who also has garnered interest from the Chicago Bears after general manager Jerry Angelo was fired.Irsay is expected to cut a wide swath of interviews, ranging from more experienced candidates -- possibly some who aren't currently in the NFL -- as well as younger, up-and-coming executives. The process could take several weeks, and Irsay might end up including coach Jim Caldwell as part of the process.

Irsay made it clear during his news conference Monday that he's in total control of all decisions and is in essence taking back control of his franchise. He acknowledged the Colts now are in a "rebuilding" phase and hinted the franchise could go in a different direction, rebuilding in a younger, cheaper mold around the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Irsay said he anticipated hiring the new GM before deciding Caldwell's fate, but he left the door open. Caldwell announced Wednesday the team would not renew the contract of special teams coordinator Ray Rychleski.

In all likelihood, the Colts' next GM won't hold the kind of power Bill Polian did. The movement into a new era also might not include quarterback Peyton Manning, who has a $28 million option bonus due in March and whose health is still very much in doubt.

I am getting more and more confused. Is Peyton Manning being left out in the cold soon? Or is this just rumors. I don't know. I might be wrong but it is starting to sound to me like this team is starting over from top to bottom and building around Andrew Luck?

Colts firings: Both Polian's. The defensive coach. The special teams coach. Caldwell might be dead man walking. Mathis/Wayne/Saturday and several others are FAs.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I am getting more and more confused. Is Peyton Manning being left out in the cold soon? Or is this just rumors. I don't know. I might be wrong but it is starting to sound to me like this team is starting over from top to bottom and building around Andrew Luck?

Colts firings: Both Polian's. The defensive coach. The special teams coach. Caldwell might be dead man walking. Mathis/Wayne/Saturday and several others are FAs.

Thankfully one of the Pack staff has decided to stay in GB. I also read that the Philbin interview in KC may have been just a charade to pick his brain about Matt Flynn. It appears the Chiefs are interested in a new QB and Flynn could be the guy. But they aren't allowed to talk to Flynn until after the season. So they bring in Philbin under the guise of a head coaching interview.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

Christ, the Colts have more problems besides what's on the field. I've had this odd feeling all year that if they drafted Luck, Manning is going to want to leave.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thankfully one of the Pack staff has decided to stay in GB. I also read that the Philbin interview in KC may have been just a charade to pick his brain about Matt Flynn. It appears the Chiefs are interested in a new QB and Flynn could be the guy. But they aren't allowed to talk to Flynn until after the season. So they bring in Philbin under the guise of a head coaching interview.

If Flynn is that good (I believe so) you want Philbin to take a GM job with a team looking for a QB. It will make the trade alot easier for Ted. Boom we get a top 10 pick for Flynn and our pick.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score

Didn't KC sign Cassel to a long term deal? I'm not sure, but I think they locked him up for a while, right?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Didn't KC sign Cassel to a long term deal? I'm not sure, but I think they locked him up for a while, right?

Yes they did, and it put him in the list of highest paid quarterbacks in the legaue, which for him it stands for OVER PAID when his completion % rate is so low.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Latest posts