Charles Woodson getting released

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard the Bears wanted to look at him as WR. After all, Cutler had been so good a throwing the ball to him the past few years it would be an upgrade to their WR corp.

Copy cat...I posted that on facebook years ago lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
10-4 good buddy.
We are of the few Packers fans around here that don't like these changes.
Benching Driver was a big mistake and now letting Woodson go is also a big one as well.
And I agree with ya. I hope that Woodson shows the Pack and it's fans that he still has something left in his tank.
Even it it's intercepting an A-Rod pass for a pick 6 to win a play off game.
What are the odds of that? Probably way too great for it to actually happen. But if it does, I'll feel bad for the Pack while at the same time OK with it.
Maybe it's easier for other Packers fans to accept these decisions, but I'm not OK with it. Yet.

What if the PAck just kept DD to avoid a Brett rerun? What if he truly couldnt beat out anyone and that is why he was benched...That is what I am pretty sure of..He couldnt beat anyone to make gameday rosters...

Woody IS NOT worth 10 mill a year...Why can't people figure that out..And instead of trying to keep him around for lesser amount the Packers didn't offer a contract..ot sure why but it is little confusing why they didnt..But I trust in them

OMG do a pick 6 on Rodgers to WIN in the playoffs....Wow is all I can say..If that happens, you better be ready for the bashing..

I LOVE woodson, he DD and Rod are my favorites...But even I can accept he was to old and wanted to much $$

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Woody IS NOT worth 10 mill a year...Why can't people figure that out? And instead of trying to keep him around for lesser amount the Packers didn't offer a contract. Not sure why but it is little confusing why they didnt. But I trust in them
My only guess is they didn't want to insult him with the contract they would have proposed. Still, it was probably worth a shot at least.

As for why people don't get it:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As you can see from the diagram above, the brain is not involved in a knee-jerk reaction.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers can trade their #1 pick back a few for a high 2nd rounder + another pick (maybe a high 4th), and then take Matt Elam, then I this move would be a home run.

Elam has a good chance of being there early in the 2nd round. I'd like to have confidence in Morgan Burnett and Jeron Williams, but that's very iffy.

Not sure what team picking in the top-10 might want to trade their #2 plus another pick with us however.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10-4 good buddy.
We are of the few Packers fans around here that don't like these changes.
Benching Driver was a big mistake and now letting Woodson go is also a big one as well.
And I agree with ya. I hope that Woodson shows the Pack and it's fans that he still has something left in his tank.
Even it it's intercepting an A-Rod pass for a pick 6 to win a play off game.
What are the odds of that? Probably way too great for it to actually happen. But if it does, I'll feel bad for the Pack while at the same time OK with it.
Maybe it's easier for other Packers fans to accept these decisions, but I'm not OK with it. Yet.

- Rooting for Woodson to get a pick 6 against Rodgers to show us up? Cmon...that sounds like the scores of bitter "Packer" fans after the whole Favre fiasco. I thought if we learned anything from that whole saga, its that the team comes before the player, 53 times out of 53.

- Driver was loved here and I am sure benching him was not easy. But to call it a mistake, I think that the coaches who made that call probably have a little more insight into the ability of every WR on the team than we do. Even from a fan standpoint, can you really make the case that Driver deserved to play over any of Jennings, Nelson, Cobb or Jones?

- Woodson was cut because he would have made 11 million dollars this year and there isnt a GM on the planet that would pay him that at this point in his career. Strictly business, nothing more. Even Woodson's agent said that. I cant understand why people still are surprised every time TT makes a tough business decision. Every player's run here ends sometime, whether it be by retirement or release. Someday Aaron Rodgers won't be a Packer anymore either.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Remember how bad Peterson and the Vikings toched us in week 17? Then remember how much better we tackled the following week with Woodson in there?
The analysts all talked about what a big difference Woodson makes to our defense.
Now he's simply not good enough to be on the team? Didn't even ask him about staying at a lesser $?
That part I don't like.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

What a fantastic picture!!!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry dude, but i don't like the move and i'm venting. The defense just got worse at this point.

Well I could give you a disagree but I'll just do it here. I don't think we will miss Woodson that much if at all. Also, don't overlook the benefits of having an additional $10 million in cap room for 2013. I wish him the best as I stated but I never cheer for an ex-Packer to do well when he becomes our opposition.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if the PAck just kept DD to avoid a Brett rerun? What if he truly couldnt beat out anyone and that is why he was benched...That is what I am pretty sure of..He couldnt beat anyone to make gameday rosters...

Woody IS NOT worth 10 mill a year...Why can't people figure that out..And instead of trying to keep him around for lesser amount the Packers didn't offer a contract..ot sure why but it is little confusing why they didnt..But I trust in them

OMG do a pick 6 on Rodgers to WIN in the playoffs....Wow is all I can say..If that happens, you better be ready for the bashing..

I LOVE woodson, he DD and Rod are my favorites...But even I can accept he was to old and wanted to much $$

The key question is that: is Woodson worth $10 million? However, it's not that clear cut a negative. IF he is chronically injured to the point another broken collarbone is likely or he has to not play like his old self on purpose to avoid another break, then yes, he's not worth $10 million. But IF it's just a matter of quality diminished by age, then I think even with that slight slowing down, he's better than anybody else we have and well worth $10 million. I don't know which way it is, maybe Thompson does. I HOPE that is the basis for his decision, not just cheapness for cheapness sake. As for the cap situation, $10 million is a lot, but they can always juggle things around to get to where they need to be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The key question is that: is Woodson worth $10 million? However, it's not that clear cut a negative. IF he is chronically injured to the point another broken collarbone is likely or he has to not play like his old self on purpose to avoid another break, then yes, he's not worth $10 million. But IF it's just a matter of quality diminished by age, then I think even with that slight slowing down, he's better than anybody else we have and well worth $10 million. I don't know which way it is, maybe Thompson does. I HOPE that is the basis for his decision, not just cheapness for cheapness sake. As for the cap situation, $10 million is a lot, but they can always juggle things around to get to where they need to be.

Rodgers gets less then what Woody wants

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Let's just play without Safeties! Riiiiiight. Business is business, and we have a tight cap situation right now. He's 10 mil that we can literally wipe off the books. With the sheer volume of contracts expiring in the next 2 years, I doubt we'll recognize this team by 2016. Still a bit sad to see him go
thought we already had for most of the season anyway ? Can we really think we can fill this position with free agency or the draft this year ? Obviously you guys in the states see more than us overseas, but I watched the seniors game this year and didn`t really see anybody outstanding. Any serious contenders ?

UtPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should have at least made him an offer. That guy is hardcore-dedicated to the team. Matthews had better have a great year and step up to prove his new deal is worth letting Wood go.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Calling Driver one of the Packers’ best WRs is funny at this point. Jones was better than Driver in 2011 and so was Jennings, Nelson, and Cobb. With the benefit of hindsight it should be obvious to any serious fan Driver should not have been paid $2.3M this season. As mentioned many times now, he was a healthy inactive on a team with WRs inactive because of injury. That’s a clue that shouldn’t be too hard to decipher for a thinking fan.

Why is it some of the fans complaining about Woodson’s release don’t seem to acknowledge his 2013 salary and the consequence of retaining him on the cap? Why don’t they detail which players will have to be let go if they retain him? Even beyond the cash and cap considerations, thinking a 37 year-old Woodson is worth $10M in 2013 is just nuts IMO.

There are legitimate reasons to criticize Thompson but some of the fans who criticize his every “controversial” or unpopular move reveal themselves as Favre-first fans IMO. How else can you explain their extreme bias against a GM who led the franchise to a championship? How else can you explain them ignoring the cash and salary cap consequences of these moves? How else can you explain them posting they hope former Packers perform well against the Packers? After all, for them Favre was/is the franchise. Now that their idol is officially retired, what the hell they’re rooting for is beyond me. Perhaps they’re just waiting for his number to be retired and then they’ll be on their way to another franchise? Maybe the Jets or Vikings?

Back to Woodson; check out Tom Oates’ column:
Given Woodson's advancing age, recurring injuries and noteworthy compensation — almost $10 million for 2013 — it simply was time for the Packers to cut their ties. Woodson, a thoughtful man who sees the big picture with remarkable clarity, seems to understand that, and Packers fans should, too.
http://host.madison.com/sports/colu...cle_0a198da4-77d1-11e2-ba5c-001a4bcf887a.html

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers can trade their #1 pick back a few for a high 2nd rounder + another pick (maybe a high 4th), and then take Matt Elam, then I this move would be a home run.

Elam has a good chance of being there early in the 2nd round. I'd like to have confidence in Morgan Burnett and Jeron Williams, but that's very iffy.

Not sure what team picking in the top-10 might want to trade their #2 plus another pick with us however.
Elam is the only guy that came to play vs louisville he made every play and pretty much every tackel in that game it seemed. If you want a hitter that can Tackel he is your man!!! He will be missed. Now on another bad note the vikings and bears seem to like to pick gators.:poop:

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah...I was in my office and my son texted me. I said "Aw...son of a *****" looked up and the bank's president was standing there. "The Pack had to let Woodson go." He says, "Aw f*ck...that's too bad..." I responded, "Yeah, no ****". What can I say? It was Friday

We're all accustomed to cursing bankers by now.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
thought we already had for most of the season anyway ? Can we really think we can fill this position with free agency or the draft this year ? Obviously you guys in the states see more than us overseas, but I watched the seniors game this year and didn`t really see anybody outstanding. Any serious contenders ?
There are only 3, true FS in this years draft, and they're all slated for the first 2 rounds. There are another 4 guys who are basically Burnett clones, who we may be able to get as low as the third, and everybody else is a box safety that we don't need.

Take into account that we ask a lot from our Safeties (complicated Defense reliant on speed at that position) and it could be a while before we get somebody on the level. Took Collins 4 years (though he was a CB convert)

Elam is the only guy that came to play vs louisville he made every play and pretty much every tackel in that game it seemed. If you want a hitter that can Tackel he is your man!!! He will be missed. Now on another bad note the vikings and bears seem to like to pick gators.:poop:
Elam doesn't tackle, he hits. Going to need a LOT of coaching to get him to actually tackle. Still would fit what we like to do with our Safeties.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson will always have a special place in my heart. It is very rare that your favorite player from your favorite college team wins a Super Bowl with your favorite pro team. He might be my favorite Packer of all-time.

With that being said, $10M is a huge cap number for a 36 year old defensive back. The money is needed to resign Rodgers, Matthews and Raji.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you just say goodbye to a legend and the heart and soul of your team. I am almost ashamed to admit I teared up when I heard the news. I'm not going to lie and say a part of me didn't see it coming but I always thought Woodson would retire as a Packer. I understand management had to do what's best for the team and put the team first but this was even worse to take than losing DD.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

How can you just say goodbye to a legend and the heart and soul of your team. I am almost ashamed to admit I teared up when I heard the news. I'm not going to lie and say a part of me didn't see it coming but I always thought Woodson would retire as a Packer. I understand management had to do what's best for the team and put the team first but this was even worse to take than losing DD.
Because it`s business Kitten. He was a great Packer but would just cost us too much. I think though with two seperate serious injuries, he`s being a bit optomistic thinking a Serious contender picking him up for what he expects to be paid IMHO

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because it`s business Kitten. He was a great Packer but would just cost us too much. I think though with two seperate serious injuries, he`s being a bit optomistic thinking a Serious contender picking him up for what he expects to be paid IMHO

Understood. Which is why I stated I kind of saw it coming though I very much dreaded it. It's going to be hard to imagine the Packers without Woodson but I understand they did what they had to do.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I could give you a disagree but I'll just do it here. I don't think we will miss Woodson that much if at all. Also, don't overlook the benefits of having an additional $10 million in cap room for 2013. I wish him the best as I stated but I never cheer for an ex-Packer to do well when he becomes our opposition.
I gotta say, I still rooted for Darren Sharper after he got released; never against the Pack though. Any time he did something good against them I apologized for rooting for him the rest of the season under my breath.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In the thread on the Packers’ needs, I quoted this blog from jsonline:
Much has been made of the need for more physical players, but little has been written about the need for speed in the back end, something the Packers have desperately needed ever since Nick Collins suffered a career-ending neck injury in Week 2 of the 2011 season. If you want to know part of the reason why Minnesota RB Adrian Peterson kept bouncing plays outside without any resistance, San Francisco TE Vernon Davis was able to make a huge play down the seam against a single-high safety look and no one could catch 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, look no further than the void left by Collins. The Packers may be able to patch things up with M.D. Jennings, Sean Richardson or Jerron McMillian and hope Burnett continues to make strides, but they weren't going to move forward with Woodson locked in at safety for another season. If he was still on the team, which coach was going to tell him he was going to be a backup and / or inactive? …It's possible Woodson will be able to continue his career somewhere else, but the Packers need safeties who can cover one-on-one, gamble less in order to make big plays and stay healthy. And they need to acknowledge that it's time to move on, something they didn't do with Driver.
IMO this goes a long way toward explaining what the front office was thinking regarding Woodson. Add the fact that Hayward had a great rookie season as the slot CB which was Woodson’s spot in the nickel.

Many of us were blessed to have witnessed the Lombardi years. Younger fans who missed that era have been blessed to have watched two of the best defenders ever to play the game, Reggie White and Charles Woodson, wear the Green & Gold and help the franchise add championships twelve and thirteen.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Woodson will choose to go into the Hall of Fame as a Packer. I'll be proud on that day. Great Packer player.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that a player goes into the HOF as an individual, not under the designation of a member of any team.

Members online

Latest posts