Chargers v Broncos ejection at end of game

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone see the ejection at the end of the denver v sd game?

Plummer spiked the ball to stop the clock. The D Tackle was just standing. Probably 2 full seconds after the spike, the denver center out of the blue lunged at the DT's knees. THe DT punched the center twice, and was ejected. IMO, an extremely dirty play by the center.

Just wondering if anyone else saw the play and what they thought.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
yea that was funny stupid there

Center goes after the dudes knees on a spike and the Charger reacted even stupidier.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What good does it do to eject someone at the end of the game? Let him get to the showers to cool off sooner? Or do they need to have the ejection on record so the league would follow up with a fine?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What good does it do to eject someone at the end of the game? Let him get to the showers to cool off sooner? Or do they need to have the ejection on record so the league would follow up with a fine?

What good would it to do allow him to continue playing? To let the thought that you can break the rules even with less than a minute to go?

You keep a hardline with rules to show precedent of them and that they need to be followed the entire 60 minutes of the game.

Thats my take on it ... :)

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why didn't the center get kicked out also??? The refs must have seen it, and it was not even close to within the bounds of a play...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Why didn't the center get kicked out also??? The refs must have seen it, and it was not even close to within the bounds of a play...

It could have been a fake spike ala Dan Marino years ago. The center doesn't know what the QB is seeing or if hes gonna try that. Imagine the QB seeing a DB with his back towards the WR. Should he spike it or snap it? If he snaps it an the center lets his guy go through the middle the play is screwed.

I agree with the DT being ejected and I agree with the center being allowed to continue playing. His block was legal afterall.

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:

It could have been a fake spike ala Dan Marino years ago. The center doesn't know what the QB is seeing or if hes gonna try that. Imagine the QB seeing a DB with his back towards the WR. Should he spike it or snap it? If he snaps it an the center lets his guy go through the middle the play is screwed.

I agree with the DT being ejected and I agree with the center being allowed to continue playing. His block was legal afterall.

There is a rule that if a player is laying on the ground, you cant just nail him. I think that they call it 'giving yourself up'. Or something. The DT wasn't moving at all, had his hands down, and was defenseless, but he was standing and not on the ground.

I thought the play was bs, and as usual, the second guy gets caught.

What was your opinion on the Sapp hit vs CLifton?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Like this play, it was unnecessary but legal. I felt bad for Clifton, but a legal hit is a legal hit. I'm not saying either was 'a class act'.

Football is a tought sport. If you can't handle it, go sign up for gymnastics. That's my take. I miss the days of football when you could hit people as hard as you wanted and not fear a penalty. I wasn't alive during those days. I did see some of the games on tape and lemme tell you. THAT was FOOTBALL!

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:

Like this play, it was unnecessary but legal. I felt bad for Clifton, but a legal hit is a legal hit. I'm not saying either was 'a class act'.

Football is a tought sport. If you can't handle it, go sign up for gymnastics. That's my take. I miss the days of football when you could hit people as hard as you wanted and not fear a penalty. I wasn't alive during those days. I did see some of the games on tape and lemme tell you. THAT was FOOTBALL!

Agreed.

Whenever I see highlites from the '85 bears, they were constantly knocking out qb's. I think that they took out 4-5 teams qb's. The hits that they were putting on the qb's would now almost all be penalties.

While the majority of people don't like the rule changes, they are to try and protect the player, which in effect is, protecting the product. Mostly the qb hits are what has changed. That is because nobody likes to watch the backup qb.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
NFL NAILS NALEN

After reviewing video of Broncos center Tom Nalen diving at the knees of Chargers defensive end Igor Olshansky on Sunday, one league source opined that Nalen should be fined twice the amount that Olshansky ultimately is fined for slapping Nalen upside the head in retaliation.

The NFL took it even farther than 200 percent.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com reports that the league has fined Nalen $25,000, but fined Olshansky only $10,000.

Olshansky was penalized and ejected. Nalen's actions did not draw a penalty.

Nalen's actions came as the Broncos were in the process of spiking the ball in order to kill the clock. The other Denver linemen did not engage any Chargers defenders on the play.

Though Glazer reports that the Broncos are livid about the fine, we think that Coach Kevlar and company should, with all due respect, shut up. Nalen clearly was in the wrong, and it's about time that the league gets tough on the cheap-shot tactics that the team has been teaching under Mike Shanahan for the past decade.

:noflame:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts