Chandon Sullivan

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Chandon Sullivan has been a force this season. Allowed a completion percentage of only 35.5% (first in the NFL among CB's that have played a minimum of 350 snaps) and a passer rating of 34.3 (third in the NFL). When he went off the field with the injury in the divisional game, it was a different team defensively. Lets hope he is healthy for next Sunday evening.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That ball should have been his yesterday. Refs screwed him up.

But yeah, I was impressed with what he does.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That ball should have been his yesterday. Refs screwed him up.

But yeah, I was impressed with what he does.

I can't wait to watch the FOX telecast of that play. I was a good 60-70 yards away from the play and even from my vantage point I saw him recover the fricking ball.

Did they blow it dead too soon and thus couldn't give the Packers the ball?

In any case, I also see that as a glitch in the challenge system. Refs don't call it a fumble or a recovery. MLF challenges. He "wins" the challenge on the fumble, but if the refs blew the whistle or can't see clear recovery, that should not be a "ruling on the field stands, Packers lose a challenge and a timeout". The ruling was no fumble and it was a fumble!

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I can't wait to watch the FOX telecast of that play. I was a good 60-70 yards away from the play and even from my vantage point I saw him recover the fricking ball.

In any case, I also see that as a glitch in the challenge system. Refs don't call it a fumble or a recovery. MLF challenges. He "wins" the challenge on the fumble, but if the refs blew the whistle or can't see clear recovery, that should not be a "ruling on the field stands, Packers lose a challenge and a timeout". The ruling was no fumble and it was a fumble!
I would argue that this was the worst call of the 2019 NFL season. Every other call this season is strictly controversial. You can make arguments either way. The issue with that call was this: it was the wrong call on the field. It was a fumble (fact) and had the refs made the right call on the field clear recovery does not matter. It only matters in the case of an overturn. I was under the impression that the refs were supposed to always call a turnover when it is close so that it can be reviewed. This was a horrible call, and I would be hard pressed to find a worse call throughout the entire season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the same thing happening to Philly last year maybe? I think it was a kickoff, maybe a punt, either way it was a clear fumble and a pile of Philly players jumped on it and emerged with the ball. But because the recovering philly player was obscured by other philly players, they couldn't rule on a "clear recovery" LOL There was literally zero other alternatives in that situation. There wasn't a Dallas player in that pile at all, but for some reason they felt it wasn't "clearly" recovered by Philly. Thank goodness for replay...

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue with that call was this: it was the wrong call on the field. It was a fumble (fact) and had the refs made the right call on the field clear recovery does not matter. It only matters in the case of an overturn. I was under the impression that the refs were supposed to always call a turnover when it is close so that it can be reviewed.

Agree 100%.

It was a fumble which replays showed and referees agreed.

Chandon came up with the ball.

Not sure how that is not a sign of clean recovery....What the effin eff do they need more?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chandon Sullivan has been a force this season. Allowed a completion percentage of only 35.5% (first in the NFL among CB's that have played a minimum of 350 snaps) and a passer rating of 34.3 (third in the NFL). When he went off the field with the injury in the divisional game, it was a different team defensively. Lets hope he is healthy for next Sunday evening.

What a nice find he was. He's been a solid contributor all season.

Brian Gutekunst deserves some credit for finding guys like Chandon Sullivan, Tyler Ervin, and bringing in Jared Veldheer…..These seeming small moves make a big difference.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brian Gutekunst deserves some credit for finding guys like Chandon Sullivan, Tyler Ervin, and bringing in Jared Veldheer…..These seeming small moves make a big difference.
I was at the game, didn't even notice Bulaga wasn't playing until they were walking up to the line and I was thinking who the heck is that guy? He's big! He makes Oline men look short LOL

and he held up really well all game. those 3 guys you mentioned, while seemingly small moves have played a big role in getting us to the NFCCG.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bingo. Small moves can pay off big, especially now.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This was exactly my thought. We should have at least kept the time out and the challenge.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Chandon handed the ball to the ref. Lol how much more clear can you get. That’s crazy.

Really reminded me a bit of the "Fail Mary"......everyone seems to see it the same way "Fumble and Packers ball", yet the Refs can't figure out a way to get it right before or after replay.

And of course.....some Seattle fans just pretend that the call was correct.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I remember the day they signed Veldheer. Had never heard of him, so looked him up. All I could think was "this guy is a mountain, I bet he is slow". I was impressed yesterday and as everyone is saying, one of those "small ball" moves by Gute that might have possibly saved a game.

Reaction score
I remember the day they signed Veldheer. Had never heard of him, so looked him up. All I could think was "this guy is a mountain, I bet he is slow". I was impressed yesterday and as everyone is saying, one of those "small ball" moves by Gute that might have possibly saved a game.
He’s a slim guy. You can’t say that about a 320lb man unless he’s 6’8”+ :eek:

Also, Sullivan is a gem considering his $

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sullivan's emergence is pretty helpful considering that Jackson has utterly busted so far and that Tramon is about to be a free agent.

He's an interesting athlete. He's pretty long, despite average height and his jumps at the combine were collectively elite.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, it was ruled down by contact on the field. And so MLF can throw the flag and challenge. If there was a clear recovery; the ball would go to us. The booth said the recovery was not crystal clear and so we don't get the ball. Does not really matter if they call it a fumble or not after all that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree 100%.

It was a fumble which replays showed and referees agreed.

Chandon came up with the ball.

Not sure how that is not a sign of clean recovery....What the effin eff do they need more?
I guess it could be that because of the whistle; maybe a player gives up on the play. So they have to see the recovery immediately. Not after the dogpile. I agree we got it but I understand the rule even if they tweak it in the offseason. The whistle is tough. W/O reply I would have thought down by contact. You can't let every play go because of potential unnecessary injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, it was ruled down by contact on the field. And so MLF can throw the flag and challenge. If there was a clear recovery; the ball would go to us. The booth said the recovery was not crystal clear and so we don't get the ball. Does not really matter if they call it a fumble or not after all that.

I finally had to watch it several times and it was pretty clear that when the pile of bodies got untangled and Chandler Sullivan had the ball, who recovered the ball. So I don't buy what you/NFL are saying. How many times have we seen a fumble and a big pile of bodies jump on the ball? No camera catching what is going on inside of that pile, but the refs giving the ball to whoever comes out of the pile with it?

I thing the refs blew the play big time in one of 2 ways. Either they blew the play dead, which they should not have and are instructed not to, but prevented them from awarding the ball to the Packers. Or New York replay officials were simply asleep at the wheel and didn't view Sullivan gathering the ball in and then later coming out of the pile with it. I think it was first scenario.

In either case, I still think the rules should not penalize the team calling for the review by taking both a timeout and a challenge away. After all MLF was 100% correct, the ball was fumbled, the refs f*c*ed up the rest.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess it could be that because of the whistle; maybe a player gives up on the play. So they have to see the recovery immediately. Not after the dogpile. I agree we got it but I understand the rule even if they tweak it in the offseason. The whistle is tough. W/O reply I would have thought down by contact. You can't let every play go because of potential unnecessary injury.

If that was the case "Whistle blew, cant reverse it", then the refs should have walked over to MLF and said "Sorry, whistle blew, it is not a reviewable call now, here is your red flag back."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that was the case "Whistle blew, cant reverse it", then the refs should have walked over to MLF and said "Sorry, whistle blew, it is not a reviewable call now, here is your red flag back."
They used to do that. I think they tweaked it so that if, for example, they saw Sullivan with complete control immediately; then they would have awarded the ball to us. But he did not really have that. We got screwed but I understand what happened. Maybe they will tweak the rule again.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose that we'll get injury updates on Tuesday. Sullivan has been important, as much as Raven Green was earlier in the season, but in different roles. Both would be big pluses to have available next week.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers definitely shouldn't have lost the challenge or a timeout on the play. In my opinion it was pretty obvious Sullivan recovered the ball as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely shouldn't have lost the challenge or a timeout on the play. In my opinion it was pretty obvious Sullivan recovered the ball as well.
Yes, but your opinion does not count. Even the booth ref said he did not think it was obvious. The rule is that you have to have possession before being lost in the pileup. They can't say, " oh, you can throw the flag and stop the game w/o having any repercussions." I agree we got screwed, but that is the way the rule is for now. I would hope that MLF knows that and decided to take the chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts