CB, Rasul Douglas

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still dumbfounded as to how this guy was on a practice squad. Unbelievable find for Gute and his staff. It's nearly impossible to find someone that turns out to be a big time impact player as a corner during the season like that.

GB has done quite well finding DBs that are cast offs, UDFAs or PS guys. The question is does he become a Gunter or a Shields/Tramon type?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Look until the team knows precisely what Jaire's future is, and even if he wasn't injured, this is precisely the moves a good GM continues to be looking to do every single year.

Keep that bottom 10 spots or so on the roster churning...look for that guy that it clicks here but hasn't elsewhere. Look for that guy that shows signs here that hasn't elsewhere.

Yiadam addition is a prime example of a guy that is experienced, got a taste of NFL starting and is looking to fight for that chance again - he has been doing very well on STs it seems and while many scoffed at the swap we did to add him it was genius.

Rasul Douglas ahs the size and raw athleticism to be worth the swing. He is the perfect type guy that you keep your eyes out on the PS field for. Could he be gone in a week, sure. Could he become a starting outside CB for us over the next 5 years...I mean sure, but not likely. Could he be a ST contributor and a guy that a depleted secondary may have to use, and will be thankful at least he has experience - sure.

This isn't a roster move to excite folks, nor should it disappoint, due to the player added, however if you look at such moves as relative to expectations and a continued search for the "right depth guys" it should make you happy.
You probably won't pat yourself on the back for this, so I will.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You probably won't pat yourself on the back for this, so I will.

It's a blessing to now just be patiently waiting to see is he a Ladarius Gunter type find and will fizzle into oblivion after coming up "big" for us in a run, or does he become a Sam Shields or a Tramon Williams type find....these type of stuff keep my GM mindset always watching PS squads, roster drops and cuts.

Here's one for folks, the injury settlement of Hands from Detroit is the EXACT type of guy I'm calling asap if I'm Gute. High RAS type guy, young at 26 years old and well worth bringing in to see if he clicks here along our DL

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about players is that they need the right team, scheme, and coach to blossom in the NFL. Too many fans and experts see someone not produce with their first team and decide that player is a bum. He was projected in the 3-5th round and ended up being a 3rd rounder. I looked up his draft profile from PFF and posted it below. It seems spot on that Rasul needed to develop his press skills. Some people just ignore these folks, but that's why you bring them in to see if somehow the fit on both sides is perfect.

Stats to know: Had eight interceptions and 10 pass breakups in 2016.

What he does best:
  • Really good hands. Led all cornerbacks in this draft class with eight interceptions in 2016.
  • Solid tackler, missed just five of the 58 solo tackles he attempted in 2016.
  • Breaks on the ball well in off coverage. Big part of why he has eight interceptions and 10 pass breakups.
  • Good feel for cover-2. Gets good depth to discourage sideline pass and works downhill well in the flat.
  • At 6-foot-2 and 209 pounds, he has great size for an outside cornerback in today’s NFL.
  • Solid run defender when involved. Seven of his 15 solo tackles resulted in a defensive stop in run defense in 2016.
  • Will be coveted by both zone-heavy and man-heavy defensive schemes.
Biggest concern:
  • Scheme-wise he wasn’t asked to press very often, so is very inexperienced in that regard. Played press on 15.0 percent of his coverage snaps, below the NCAA average of 19.4 percent.
  • When asked to press, often whiffed on the jam or got beaten quickly off the line of scrimmage.
  • Can get too handsy with receivers downfield. Really struggled with too much contact at the Senior Bowl. Appeared to be learning just how much he can get away with at the next level.
  • Gives up position inside easily. Partly scheme related but also didn’t always close well on in routes and slants.
  • Timed speed of 4.59 at the combine was disappointing. Is long speed an issue?
Bottom line: West Virginia’s scheme certainly doesn’t help Douglas’ evaluation as an NFL cornerback, given how much he was in off coverage. He struggled when asked to press at the Senior Bowl, and has shown a tendency to be too grabby downfield. His best bet to play early is likely in a zone-heavy scheme, though teams who like to play press man coverage will covet his size despite the inexperience in that role. Douglas will likely have some teething issues in the NFL and he may be somewhat limited in his first year, he has the ball skills to develop into a very good player if he can fix those issues.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we still talking about Rasul Douglas? Are you guys watching the same games I am? He is a player and has won two games for us. He is always tight on who he is watching. The way you evaluate players; you would be better off in computer games.
That was posted almost 2 months ago. I wonder if Krabs has changed his opinion. One that I am sure more fans agreed with than disagreed with.

Sorry PA. Replied before I read all the responses.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously none of us knew if he would be any good on the Packers. To me, the relevant discussion was whether or not it was worth churning the bottom of the roster in search of diamonds in the rough.

Yes, yes it was.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Are we still talking about Rasul Douglas? Are you guys watching the same games I am? He is a player and has won two games for us. He is always tight on who he is watching. The way you evaluate players; you would be better off in computer games.
I wrote that on 10/07/21. He has more than proven me wrong.

Krabs

Reaction score
That was posted almost 2 months ago. I wonder if Krabs has changed his opinion. One that I am sure more fans agreed with than disagreed with.

Sorry PA. Replied before I read all the responses.
Yep, he is much more than I thought he was going to be. A guy that was on the Cardinals practice squad has made the most of his opportunity. @gopkrs I will stick to being a keyboard warrior and will not be applying for a scouting job with the Packers. Maybe I will apply at MN and just muck things up for them.

Krabs

Reaction score
Dude, that post was made 2 months ago.
It's cool calling me out. In this case I was just wrong. Not the first and won't be the last.

I'm still hoping that Alexander comes back after the bye week. GPG!

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
This years GB Defense is really good at capitalizing on opponents’ mistakes. What’s crazy is we’ve had lots of missed opportunities, yet we still rank well into the top 10 in the league in takeaway rate.

Rasul fits this type Defense really well. He was given an opportunity and he’s made the best of it. If J’aire comes back he’ll make an excellent #3 guy or allows King to come in as relief or in our Nickel or Dime sets etc.. I see Rasul as what we thought we were getting with Josh Jackson (A ball Hawk in college). What Rasul misses in some agility or short burst? Rasul makes up for in aggressiveness and focus on the ball and ball awareness..something that did transition from West Virginia. Loved how he used to just take the ball away from opposing WR’s in college, he has an uncanny knack for winning on 50/50 balls. Great size and strength also at 6’1.5 X209lb.

One of the many traits that made Charles Woodson so effective is his ability to play the ball. He rarely lost focus and he acted like HE was the WR. Rasul has that trait down already.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will just have to hold our breaths to see how good these guys are in the playoffs with added pressure... until we will be red in the face holding our breaths while enjoying this group play above mediocre(finally) during the reg. season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep, he is much more than I thought he was going to be. A guy that was on the Cardinals practice squad has made the most of his opportunity. @gopkrs I will stick to being a keyboard warrior and will not be applying for a scouting job with the Packers. Maybe I will apply at MN and just muck things up for them.

There are actual NFL scouts, general managers and coaches with the Eagles, Panthers, Raiders, Texans and Cardinals who weren't able to either evaluate Douglas' talent or use him in a scheme correctly.

Therefore no need to feel bad about it that a lot of posters around here weren't optimistic about him being signed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a blessing to now just be patiently waiting to see is he a Ladarius Gunter type find and will fizzle into oblivion after coming up "big" for us in a run, or does he become a Sam Shields or a Tramon Williams type find....these type of stuff keep my GM mindset always watching PS squads, roster drops and cuts.

Here's one for folks, the injury settlement of Hands from Detroit is the EXACT type of guy I'm calling asap if I'm Gute. High RAS type guy, young at 26 years old and well worth bringing in to see if he clicks here along our DL

Gunter was never going to make it as a starting corner because of physical limitations. The other two just needed time to develop but had the physical attributes necessary. A good starting point for this is "does the corner run the 40 slower than many DEs?" If the answer is yes then he's prolly not gonna make it. Douglas does not fit in that category.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Douglas is a better athlete that Gunter. I never thoight Gunter was an NFL caliber CB given his lack of speed. While Douglas doesn't have the speed of Stokes or Alexander, he can be very effective if he isn't matched up against the other teams's faster WR. I've seen enough of his game to hope that Gute makes it a priority to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Douglas doesn't have the speed of Stokes or Alexander, he can be very effective if he isn't matched up against the other teams's faster WR. I've seen enough of his game to hope that Gute makes it a priority to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal.

I would like the Packers to re-sign Douglas next offseason as well but the team will somehow need to create the cap space necessary first.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter was never going to make it as a starting corner because of physical limitations. The other two just needed time to develop but had the physical attributes necessary. A good starting point for this is "does the corner run the 40 slower than many DEs?" If the answer is yes then he's prolly not gonna make it. Douglas does not fit in that category.

You’re over running with the comparison. The comparison comes purely on what will become from such a “find” which I wanted to bring up both types from past folks would recognize.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Douglas is a better athlete that Gunter. I never thoight Gunter was an NFL caliber CB given his lack of speed. While Douglas doesn't have the speed of Stokes or Alexander, he can be very effective if he isn't matched up against the other teams's faster WR. I've seen enough of his game to hope that Gute makes it a priority to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal.
If I was Rasul I would think, 'I was a marginal player on 6 other teams and now I am playing great ball in the Packer system. I think I will take less to stay here, rather than go to another team and potentially get cut again.'

The male ego though will likely say to himself, 'Attaboy Rasul, you put it all together and now I can play anywhere.'

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There are actual NFL scouts, general managers and coaches with the Eagles, Panthers, Raiders, Texans and Cardinals who weren't able to either evaluate Douglas' talent or use him in a scheme correctly.

Therefore no need to feel bad about it that a lot of posters around here weren't optimistic about him being signed.
Totally agree. And a very good reason to not give a d@mn or lend any credence to some forum poster's optimism or lack thereof.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree. And a very good reason to not give a d@mn or lend any credence to some forum poster's optimism or lack thereof.
So, we don't give any credence to the amateurs, not to the professionals? Leaves a pretty small group. :)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So, we don't give any credence to the amateurs, not to the professionals? Leaves a pretty small group. :)
Correct. Armchair Johnny is just spouting uninformed opinions. The professionals that are wrong too often, deservedly end up unemployed.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. Armchair Johnny is just spouting uninformed opinions. The professionals that are wrong too often, deservedly end up unemployed.

Douglas was a nice signing for us and he has played very well. Even so, I'll wait a little while longer before I'll say any of the professionals for the teams he played for previously dropped ball regarding his evaluation.

Does the name Travis Fulgham ring any bells. A few people here were saying the Packers coaching and scouting staff dropped the ball when evaluating him but did they really?

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
It’s interesting. The signing was totally under the radar. So much so that when I noticed @realitybytez wanted to discuss him but didn’t have the permissions etc.. I just started the thread to let him expound because he seemed excited to talk about him. Rasul is one of the top “non-expected” type signings of this season, who has come up with big play ability.

I just hope we don’t let him slip away. I have thoughts of Breshaud Breeland and Jared Cook getting away when we could’ve worked out a favorable deal.

Rasul is a great #3 type CB filling in as our #2 CB and he’s outplaying King, who we paid $5mil. It’s amazing that we have essentially 2 Perimeter CB’s with 29 combined/cumulative NFL starts (but 0 starts for this team) then come in and replace our 2020 presumed starters (78 starts and all in GB) without a significant dropoff.

Another benefit that Reality mentioned is that Rasul has appeared in 6 postseason contests all for Philly.
4 on ST (vs. Saints, Falcons, Seahawks, New England)
2 postseason at CB (vs. Chicago and Saints)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with the cap position this team is in, I'm not expecting some big contributors like Rasul or Campbell to be back. I'd hope they can find a way to keep them but we knew before anyone took the field this year, we can't keep everyone and that some big time players were likely going to be gone just to get to the cap let alone make any additions.

Members online

Latest posts