CB, Rasul Douglas

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Yeah, doing what's best for their family almost always means taking 15 million instead of 13 million.

Apparently there is no other consideration that might actually better for their family that an extra couple million dollars can't overcome.
This happens all the time. Rarely is it about anything but the money. Perfect example was Greg Jennings. The Packers offered him a solid contract and MN offered him more. Stay in Green Bay with an elite QB and finish your career moving up as a Packer great? Nope, chase the money to MN and fizzle out.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
This happens all the time. Rarely is it about anything but the money. Perfect example was Greg Jennings. The Packers offered him a solid contract and MN offered him more. Stay in Green Bay with an elite QB and finish your career moving up as a Packer great? Nope, chase the money to MN and fizzle out.
Can’t understand how that happens so regular. If often wondered if it’s also a combination of having a poor manager also.
The Gary Coleman syndrome, if you will.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Can’t understand how that happens so regular. If often wondered if it’s also a combination of having a poor manager also.
The Gary Coleman syndrome, if you will.
People with big money often get obsessed with more. It's very common in all aspects of society for otherwise rational people to be overcome by more, more, more until they develop a completely insatiable appetite for it and can never find contentment. Very sad to see, but we've all been forewarned about the love of money.

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call it the Frank Sinatra effect, if I can make it there I can make it anywhere. Not to be confused with the Nancy Sinatra effect where those cleats were made for walking. Which, by the way, seems to be what Ndamukong Suh subscribes to as his cleats are walking all over you.
Excellent musical/dirty play cross references.

D

Deleted member 6794

If I recall it correctly the Packers offered Jennings more money to re-sign with the team during the 2012 season than he actually signed for the Vikings the following offseason.

He declined the offer expecting to get even more money though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
If I recall it correctly the Packers offered Jennings more money to re-sign with the team during the 2012 season than he actually signed for the Vikings the following offseason.

He declined the offer expecting to get even more money though.
I actually think the difference was something like $1 million. I think the big difference was MN offered one more year on the contract. This is off of memory though and that has failed me in the past.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well well well....I think we gotta take a swing at him on a deal, as I foresee Adams and Rodgers are both gone and De'Vondre is going to be too expensive I sense -

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well well well....I think we gotta take a swing at him on a deal, as I foresee Adams and Rodgers are both gone and De'Vondre is going to be too expensive I sense -

Love a guy who wants to be in green and gold. Make this a priority and start building this team around defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A nice compilation of 2021 Interceptions. 9 different players with a total of 19 interceptions.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The highlights show just how good Douglas played. Unless the Packers trade AR and move on, there won't be enough cap space to sign Douglas and he will probably play for another team next year. Don't rule out the Vikings because they are thin in the secondary. Even if the Packers do sign Douglas, the question then becomes: where do you put Douglas, Alexander and Stokes? While Alexander has the speed and quickness to play slot corner, the tackling demands suggest it might not be a good fit coming off a serious shoulder injury. Douglas can tackle but is he quick enough to play slot?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The highlights show just how good Douglas played. Unless the Packers trade AR and move on, there won't be enough cap space to sign Douglas and he will probably play for another team next year.

The Packers will have cap space to sign a player like Douglas, with or without Rodgers. It is just a matter of how many guys they want to restructure or cut, how many new contracts they offer to guys like Douglas and/or Campbell and the big one, how much money do they want to push out into the future.

The Packers have the ability to still do quite a bit, but they better be real smart about it or they are going to find themselves in even worse cap hell next year or the year after.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Douglas is going to get some money, he's not unsignable for us though by any means. I know he had a lot of picks, I wouldn't expect that again, because they always seem to come in bunches for players, but why I would give him some cash to keep him around is because I just think he's a good football player. period. He seems to be a football guy. Run, pass, whatever. Hits well, fast to the ball, doesn't seem to make mistakes, does his job consistently and plays hard down to down all game long. That's why he made plays and will in the future.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. He's a great player period. He has commanded himself a great market and I would actually consider moving on from Savage, just to allocate some money towards keeping him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. He's a great player period. He has commanded himself a great market and I would actually consider moving on from Savage, just to allocate some money towards keeping him.

Savage and Amos both regressed as players this year - I believe arguably more than any other defenders this year. It is because of that I think a departure from Amos could be on the horizon as one of the "cap casualties" that many don't include in discussions at times. However, move on from Savage.....you clearly mispoke there, he's still on his rookie deal and costs very little.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Savage & Amos had very good years on '20 so I'm making the assumption that Barry's D philosophy change had a lot to do with their regression. Haven't studied their responsibilities to know what specifically changed but it's very odd that both Safeties would regress at the same time.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Savage & Amos had very good years on '20 so I'm making the assumption that Barry's D philosophy change had a lot to do with their regression. Haven't studied their responsibilities to know what specifically changed but it's very odd that both Safeties would regress at the same time.

Now you have to take "regression" and define further for both players however. To be fair Amos played a Pro Bowl level in 2020 honestly and Savage Very Good IMO. In 2021, Amos was still productive as a solid NFL starter would be expected to be, but Savage did regress to below what I'd want for my starter in 2021. I expect Amos to stay solid and Savage to bounce back honestly....I do think Amos may do so elsewhere however.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amos had a PFF grade of 89.9 in '20, and 75.4 in '21 (14th best for Safeties). Savage dropped from 72.1 to 58.4 those same years. For the $4.6mil savings I wouldn't cut Amos but he should be extended. Barry needs to figure out why both declined so drastically and put them in a better position to succeed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Amos played well, he's pretty sure and steady back there. Savage is all over the place. Most disappointed in him as I think he has the ability to be one of the best, but is looking the opposite too many times.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Savage isn't going anywhere his dead cap is identical to his cap hit, so you save $0 by cutting him. Actually, I would do just the opposite with Savage. If the Packers coaches like his future and 2021 was just an off year for him, now might be the time to extend him and get that almost $4M cap hit way down. I would rather do that now, than in 2023 after he has a top 10 season and wants twice as much money.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage isn't going anywhere his dead cap is identical to his cap hit, so you save $0 by cutting him. Actually, I would do just the opposite with Savage. If the Packers coaches like his future and 2021 was just an off year for him, now might be the time to extend him and get that almost $4M cap hit way down. I would rather do that now, than in 2023 after he has a top 10 season and wants twice as much money.

It is the year where Green Bay has to declare that 5th year option being he was a 2019 first rounder. Either way a decision or stance Green Bay has on Savage's future will get a nod this year for sure.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is the year where Green Bay has to declare that 5th year option being he was a 2019 first rounder. Either way a decision or stance Green Bay has on Savage's future will get a nod this year for sure.
Savage's 5th year option projection is $7.918Mil, which isn't horrible and allows for an extension if '21 was an anomaly. Gary is projected at $10.547Mil and will definitely have the option applied as he's the D's core to build around (along with Clark & Alexander).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would most definitely pass on picking up Savage's 5th year option. I just wish we could use it on Elgton Jenkins. :) He has looked lost in coverage at times and the run support isn't there. I would hope that the coaching staff would know if 2021 was just him learning a new system and will be better moving forward or he just isn't all that good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Savage is a perfect example of how I would approach as many contracts as I could. I would say to him "Look, we like you as a player, but your game dropped off last year. What we would like to do is keep you in Green Bay for several more years and give you an incentive filled contract. Your base salary will be relatively low, but if you hit incentives, you will be payed pretty well."

Incentive based pay would really be a nice feature with a guy you really aren't that sure of. I am not well schooled on the cap implications of incentive based pay, but a lot of them aren't counted on the cap of the current year and only against the next years cap if reached.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage is a perfect example of how I would approach as many contracts as I could. I would say to him "Look, we like you as a player, but your game dropped off last year. What we would like to do is keep you in Green Bay for several more years and give you an incentive filled contract. Your base salary will be relatively low, but if you hit incentives, you will be payed pretty well."

Incentive based pay would really be a nice feature with a guy you really aren't that sure of. I am not well schooled on the cap implications of incentive based pay, but a lot of them aren't counted on the cap of the current year and only against the next years cap if reached.

Incentive based pay has to be done in a unique way however, have too many of them and too many of those hit and you could have some real issues. However, I'd rather have this possible or "unknown" cost at times rather than the overpay for a guy routine with known costs that the majority seem to use instead.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Incentive based pay has to be done in a unique way however, have too many of them and too many of those hit and you could have some real issues. However, I'd rather have this possible or "unknown" cost at times rather than the overpay for a guy routine with known costs that the majority seem to use instead.
Agreed and unfortunately, I doubt the NFL will ever lean in too hard with incentive based contracts. Seems the teams have settled into this routine of grossly overpaying players, with guarantees, in exchange for the team to be able to shed the player at an opportune time of its choosing.

Basically, money is not really an issue with NFL owners. They throw it around like it is just numbers in a ledger form and all they care about is the that the person working the numbers, can make them fit under the cap each season, while allowing said team to field a team that will fill the stands.

Staff online

Latest posts