CB, Rasul Douglas

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers have signed CB Rasul Douglas off the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transaction Wednesday.

(RAH-sool) Douglas, a 6-foot-2, 209-pound, fifth-year player out of West Virginia University, was originally selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the third round (No. 99 overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. He played three years for the Eagles (2017-19) and one season for the Carolina Panthers (2020), appearing in 60 games with 29 starts. Douglas has totaled 178 tackles (144 solo), five interceptions and 34 passes defensed as well as two special teams tackles. He has also appeared in six postseason contests with two starts, recording 10 tackles (all solo) and a pass defensed. Last season in Carolina, Douglas appeared in 14 games with a career-high 11 starts, recording a career-best 62 tackles (50), while adding nine passes defensed (No. 2 on the team). In 2021, he spent time with the Las Vegas Raiders and Houston Texans during the offseason and training camp before spending the first part of the regular season on the Cardinals' practice squad. Douglas will wear No. 29 for the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Pro Football Reference Douglas has allowed 156 completions on 246 targets (63.4%) over the last three seasons for 2,098 yards, 16 touchdowns and only three interceptions for a passer rating of 107.1.

That doesn't make me confident he will be an upgrade over anyone on the roster.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They must have changed the practice squad rules or this guy shouldn't qualify.

I remember being high on this guy in his draft year. Mocked him a few times to us. Don't remember much about him. He has the talent. Just hasn't translated to production. A "better than nothing" signing at this point.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look until the team knows precisely what Jaire's future is, and even if he wasn't injured, this is precisely the moves a good GM continues to be looking to do every single year.

Keep that bottom 10 spots or so on the roster churning...look for that guy that it clicks here but hasn't elsewhere. Look for that guy that shows signs here that hasn't elsewhere.

Yiadam addition is a prime example of a guy that is experienced, got a taste of NFL starting and is looking to fight for that chance again - he has been doing very well on STs it seems and while many scoffed at the swap we did to add him it was genius.

Rasul Douglas ahs the size and raw athleticism to be worth the swing. He is the perfect type guy that you keep your eyes out on the PS field for. Could he be gone in a week, sure. Could he become a starting outside CB for us over the next 5 years...I mean sure, but not likely. Could he be a ST contributor and a guy that a depleted secondary may have to use, and will be thankful at least he has experience - sure.

This isn't a roster move to excite folks, nor should it disappoint, due to the player added, however if you look at such moves as relative to expectations and a continued search for the "right depth guys" it should make you happy.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited about this move. He was pretty powerful against Batman and the Green Arrow. I realize he is a real ******** the field but as long as he can play I'm willing to overlook that.

NOTE: This post was meant as a joke. A play on the similarity on his first name Rasul, and the DC supervillain Ra's al Ghul.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited about this move. He was pretty powerful against Batman and the Green Arrow. I realize he is a real ******** the field but as long as he can play I'm willing to overlook that.

NOTE: This post was meant as a joke. A play on the similarity on his first name Rasul, and the DC supervillain Ra's al Ghul.

Oh my word favorite post I've seen in a while!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear he needs a hoodie made just for pre game warm ups to come out in.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look until the team knows precisely what Jaire's future is, and even if he wasn't injured, this is precisely the moves a good GM continues to be looking to do every single year.

Keep that bottom 10 spots or so on the roster churning...look for that guy that it clicks here but hasn't elsewhere. Look for that guy that shows signs here that hasn't elsewhere.

Yiadam addition is a prime example of a guy that is experienced, got a taste of NFL starting and is looking to fight for that chance again - he has been doing very well on STs it seems and while many scoffed at the swap we did to add him it was genius.

Rasul Douglas ahs the size and raw athleticism to be worth the swing. He is the perfect type guy that you keep your eyes out on the PS field for. Could he be gone in a week, sure. Could he become a starting outside CB for us over the next 5 years...I mean sure, but not likely. Could he be a ST contributor and a guy that a depleted secondary may have to use, and will be thankful at least he has experience - sure.

This isn't a roster move to excite folks, nor should it disappoint, due to the player added, however if you look at such moves as relative to expectations and a continued search for the "right depth guys" it should make you happy.
Seems like Bill Belichick was a master at this.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Those bastards censored the word jerk.

In case they did it again the word was j e r k.

Edit. OK. i just realized my original post said he was a real j e r k off the field so I can see why the did it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I remember being high on this guy in his draft year. Mocked him a few times to us. Don't remember much about him. He has the talent. Just hasn't translated to production. A "better than nothing" signing at this point.

I would mildly disagree with this take.

I don't think he has the talent, and that's why it hasn't translated to production.

He's certainly got size-- 6'2" 209, 32.5" arms

But he's not a good athlete:

6.97 3 cone (39%)
120" broad (36th%)
4.26 shuttle (29%)
4.59 forty (18th%)
33.5" vert (18th%)

My understanding is that he's struggled in the NFL with receivers being able to separate easily-- either allowing receptions or drawing flags because of holding or PI. That adds up when you look at his athletic limitations.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

I don't disagree with this. I'm actually one that thinks the FO does a good job of keeping the Packers relevant. They have to be constantly evaluating talent due to injuries and what not. I said it the other day, but the average NFL career last I looked was 3.5 years. Those generally are the guys that are the bottom of the roster.

I don't think he has the talent, and that's why it hasn't translated to production.
With the above said, I also agree with this. While we have to keep the bottom of the roster moving due to unforeseen events, I'm not super high on this guy. I'm guessing there's better out there. I get it though. We are strapped for cash, he has experience, and won't be seeing the field a lot. At least that is the hope.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's certainly got size-- 6'2" 209, 32.5" arms

But he's not a good athlete:

6.97 3 cone (39%)
120" broad (36th%)
4.26 shuttle (29%)
4.59 forty (18th%)
33.5" vert (18th%)

My understanding is that he's struggled in the NFL with receivers being able to separate easily-- either allowing receptions or drawing flags because of holding or PI. That adds up when you look at his athletic limitations.
Those numbers are very similar to Tramon Williams, but Rasul is bigger and stronger. From watching Rasul play you wouldn't have known he wasn't 'athletic' by the number standard.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Those numbers are very similar to Tramon Williams, but Rasul is bigger and stronger. From watching Rasul play you wouldn't have known he wasn't 'athletic' by the number standard.

On Tramon Williams, sure, but here's the thing-- comparing him to Tramon, an unimpressive athlete who succeeded, now (i.e. his 5th year in the league, on his 6th team, having been cut several times) means basically nothing. Consider, I could easily find a super close athletic comp for Ty Summers who was really successful in the NFL, and yet pointing it out would mean exactly nothing for Summers' chances of becoming a good player this far into his career.

And again, I would disagree. Many (most?) analysts noted the knock on Douglas coming out of college that his speed and COD were lacking and could be problems.

I don't need to make a whole thing of this. I agree with your basic point-- he's a "better than nothing" signing mid-season. But I'm just pushing back on the idea that he's always had "the talent" and it just hasn't manifested. Most people who studied him in college pointed to the exact weaknesses that have caused him to fail in the pro's.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
So what I’m surmising from much of this is this. He’s a PS type replacement for someone else they are possibly getting ready to elevate to the 53 etc..? (Ento)

Although I thought an opponents PS signing had to be added to the 53 man roster? Has that rule been modified
So is he a ST/3rd on depth chart designee? Boy we must be banged up :laugh:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The NFL changed the practice squad rules last season and kept it the same for this year. Here are the most important ones:

- Expansion of practice squads to 16 players, including up to six who have more than two accrued seasons.
- The ability to protect up to four practice squad players per week from being signed by other teams.
- Elevation of up to two practice squad players to the active roster, without removing any current players, before 4 p.m. ET the day before a game.
- Elevation of an additional practice squad player within 90 minutes before kickoff in the event of a late COVID-19 positive test result.

Although I thought an opponents PS signing had to be added to the 53 man roster? Has that rule been modified

The Packers signed Douglas to their active roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his first time being called upon - against the Bears he did well really:

6 targets, 3 receptions, 32 yards, 2 YAC and a QB rating against of 66.

Downside were the two penalties which got called on him.

I did notice a couple plays where he was frantically trying to get the play call either said again his way or seeking clarity.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
In his first time being called upon - against the Bears he did well really:

6 targets, 3 receptions, 32 yards, 2 YAC and a QB rating against of 66.
I did notice a couple plays where he was frantically trying to get the play call either said again his way or seeking clarity.
Sounds like the makings of a good injury attorney. :tup:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the above said, I also agree with this. While we have to keep the bottom of the roster moving due to unforeseen events, I'm not super high on this guy. I'm guessing there's better out there. I get it though. We are strapped for cash, he has experience, and won't be seeing the field a lot. At least that is the hope.
Are we still talking about Rasul Douglas? Are you guys watching the same games I am? He is a player and has won two games for us. He is always tight on who he is watching. The way you evaluate players; you would be better off in computer games.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Well deserved brother, well deserved.
I'm still dumbfounded as to how this guy was on a practice squad. Unbelievable find for Gute and his staff. It's nearly impossible to find someone that turns out to be a big time impact player as a corner during the season like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts