Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde to Pro Bowl

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers should part ways with Capers but I'm not necessarily advocating for changing the base scheme as the team would need to add more talent in any case.

I don't know about drastically changing the roster. The article made great points and GB has players in place that I think would thrive in a 4-3 base. Martinez surprised me this season, I wasn't high on him last year. He could be a poor man's Bobby Wagner if GB adopts a 4-3 Cover 2/3 scheme. Also, I hate 3-4 defenses now and all variants (*2-4-5). It was cool and gimmicky back in the early 2000's when NE was running it, but now its kind of dated. Also, with the emergence of pass catching RBs, the *3-4 defense can't account for screens and safety outlets when pressuring the QB. Plus, the *3-4 defense demands CB than cover man-to-man consistently!!! GB has nobody that plays man coverage at a high level. Why keep wasting picks on positional traits @ CB, when you could simply change the defensive scheme? Allow the CB to make adjustments depending on play call (press or back off), and let the safeties (GB has a good rotation) clean up and intimidate. Let the tacklers with speed and athleticism roam the middle, and let the big guys upfront with quick twitches push the pocket. Naturally, Capers gets a green and gold watch and an Uber to the airport.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know about drastically changing the roster. The article made great points and GB has players in place that I think would thrive in a 4-3 base. Martinez surprised me this season, I wasn't high on him last year. He could be a poor man's Bobby Wagner if GB adopts a 4-3 Cover 2/3 scheme. Also, I hate 3-4 defenses now and all variants (*2-4-5). It was cool and gimmicky back in the early 2000's when NE was running it, but now its kind of dated. Also, with the emergence of pass catching RBs, the *3-4 defense can't account for screens and safety outlets when pressuring the QB. Plus, the *3-4 defense demands CB than cover man-to-man consistently!!! GB has nobody that plays man coverage at a high level. Why keep wasting picks on positional traits @ CB, when you could simply change the defensive scheme? Allow the CB to make adjustments depending on play call (press or back off), and let the safeties (GB has a good rotation) clean up and intimidate. Let the tacklers with speed and athleticism roam the middle, and let the big guys upfront with quick twitches push the pocket. Naturally, Capers gets a green and gold watch and an Uber to the airport.

The Packers hardly line up in their base though as opposing offenses force teams to mostly play a 2-4-5. Unfortunately I don't believe that the team's defense can be fixed by simply changing the scheme.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think hyde played saftey for us much unless an emergency due to injury. Hayward played slot for us, hes outside and presses wideouts for chargers. We continue mis-cast our players. Coaching is our problem...zero doubt.

Yeah that's the most disturbing part about this. The Packers coaches decided Hayward couldn't play outside and pegged him as a slot only corner which clearly was a huge mistake as he's turned into a number one on the outside. I was ok with them letting him walk at the time because of injuries and other promising players at the position. Though I did have reservations about letting the secondaries top play maker walk when he could of been retained for not much. Hyde wasnt as miscast in Dom capers defense as he wasnt used as a deep safety but essentially he was used as a box safety and once again I had reservations about letting a play maker walk but you can't pay Hyde 30 million when you have Burnett and Dix entreched as starters. Or maybe you could have cuz Hyde would essentially have been a starter in the nitro defense when Burnett moved to linebacker. I would have preferred Hyde in that role than kentrell Brice but obviously TT disagreed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hyde wasnt as miscast in Dom capers defense as he wasnt used as a deep safety but essentially he was used as a box safety and once again I had reservations about letting a play maker walk but you can't pay Hyde 30 million when you have Burnett and Dix entreched as starters. Or maybe you could have cuz Hyde would essentially have been a starter in the nitro defense when Burnett moved to linebacker. I would have preferred Hyde in that role than kentrell Brice but obviously TT disagreed.

It's not a smart way for NFL teams to handle business handing out deals that average several millions a year to slot cornerbacks or backup safeties.

Unfortunately the Packers didn't correctly evaluate the potential of Hayward and Hyde though.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers didn't correctly evaluate the potential of Hayward and Hyde though.
Or perhaps at this point in his career, Capers is incapable of getting the most out of that potential/talent. Even if the Packers would have gauged it correctly, I don't trust that Capers could have done anything with it.

I'm always a benefit of the doubt guy, but this dude has long expired as a defensive coordinator in this league.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or perhaps at this point in his career, Capers is incapable of getting the most out of that potential/talent. Even if the Packers would have gauged it correctly, I don't trust that Capers could have done anything with it.

I'm always a benefit of the doubt guy, but this dude has long expired as a defensive coordinator in this league.

Capers' time is done. So should be McCarthy's. But Capers got plenty out of King when he was healthy. Capers got plenty out of Burnett and Daniels and Clark and Martinez and, occasionally, Jones. The issue for the defense has mainly been personnel and lack of talent. Capers will take the fall because it's nicer for fans to believe that one single change will make the team elite. A new defensive coordinator won't fix personnel issues nor will he fix a head coach that refuses to modify bad gameplans in-game and basically relies on being the Princess Leia of offenses and begging Aaron Rodgers to save the team.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, new DC wont make team elite, but just maybe he can get 11 players on field for every snap and keep the players running around confused just before the snap. If new DC can do that he would be light years ahead of Capers.

Latest posts