Carroll to start - who says

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like MS named Carroll as a starter on Sunday. I hope this is not some more of MS's subborness coming out, because he spent a #1 pick on Carroll. Bate's reply to reporters seemed like he may not agree. When asked for comment by reporters he said " Ask the coach" - three times. I hope this is just how the article was printed and that Sherman is keeping his nose out of the defense.

Here's the link:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports//index.php?ntid=53639

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Pack moved FB Vonta Leach to the active roster when it looked like the Bengals and/or the 49ers might sign him from Green Bay's practice squad. <-- from pft.com ... i dont know where the vonta leach thread is so ... this works

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can you link me to the article, or IM me about it...whatever.

Also,I think the term "starter" in this case isnt really important. Ahmad could be the 'starter' and play 20 snaps, and thomas could play 25. I dont care if they call Ahmad Carroll "super duper godly cornerback starter of awesomeness" as long as someone thats not him plays more.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
It sounds like MS named Carroll as a starter on Sunday. I hope this is not some more of MS's subborness coming out, because he spent a #1 pick on Carroll. Bate's reply to reporters seemed like he may not agree. When asked for comment by reporters he said " Ask the coach" - three times. I hope this is just how the article was printed and that Sherman is keeping his nose out of the defense.

Here's the link:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports//index.php?ntid=53639
Oh goodness no! thats not good. Well actually that should be good for some penalty yards. :-?

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tomadz, the link is at the bottom of the post. The article also states that Thomas, the linebacker, will start over Manning.

Here's the article:

PACKERS: Carroll to start at left cornerback
00:00 am 9/10/05
JASON WILDE [email protected]

GREEN BAY - Even though he was benched in favor of Joey Thomas in the middle of the preseason finale last week, Ahmad Carroll will start at left cornerback in the Green Bay Packers' regular-season opener Sunday at Detroit.

While coach Mike Sherman continues to play the I-know-something-you-don't-know game with reporters, believing it gives the Packers a competitive advantage, a team source confirmed Carroll will start.

Defensive coordinator Jim Bates wouldn't discuss the issue, repeating, "Talk to coach," three times.

Asked if Carroll's confidence level had been affected by his benching, which came after back-to-back penalties, Bates said, "He should have great confidence. He's had a good preseason."

Carroll opened camp behind Thomas, but Thomas' calf and hip injuries cost him so much practice time that Carroll overtook him. Last season, Carroll started 12 games including playoffs, and committed 11 coverage penalties (four of which were declined or offset).

Against Tennessee last week, Carroll held receiver Drew Bennett on a second-and-16 screen pass to give the Titans an automatic first down, then mugged receiver Brandon Jones on a slant route and was called for pass interference.

"It's a matter of getting him to have confidence in his own technique," Bates said. "Guys that really struggle and have to hold are guys that can't run as fast. They hold to survive. Ahmad's plenty quick, plenty strong and plenty fast enough where he doesn't have to hold."

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I already said it in a previous post. I will say it again.

Carrol is going to have a great game.

I can go back on this board right now and copy a post where someone on this board said they "Hated Him."

Hate is a strong word. I hate rapists, child molesters. and terrorists. I like the kid... he is going to be very good and I like him a great deal.

He is going to be an impact player tomorrow.

Good call MS!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hate him, because he is very talented. super quick, very strong, and athletic...but he continues to be immature, and not listen to coaches. He SHOULD be one of the top young CBs in the league, instead he is being labeled mike shermans worst pick ever, and THAT is a horrible award to win...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Carroll can cover anyone without committing a penalty. He has some very bad habits and for some reason he can't break the habit. I think he has the speed to play the game, but he can't cover, doesn't like to tackle and that's not a good combination.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i hate him, because he is very talented. super quick, very strong, and athletic...but he continues to be immature, and not listen to coaches.

I was not going to go back and quote you. I really was not. Think about it though. Hate is a very strong word.

Trom, I enjoy all of your posts and you are a good football/Packer fan.

Let us all remember... We all are or were, young at one time. Be gentle with the young.

Young Carrol has accomplished more in his life than most kids his age could ever even dream of.

Post again tomorrow night after his interception changed the course of the game.

RP

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RP, a lot of people here think I am too optimistic. I am too much of a homer. I do not live in reality. I personally think I am an optimistic realist. Carroll has all the tools to be good, even great(eventually) but he is taking very slow strides, and he is arrogant. A slow learner and immaturity are not a good combination. I like to think Collins
obert thomasparis lenoncullen jenkinsjoey thomas are all very good football players...because they have showed they are OR can be. Carroll, however falls into neither category. He is the Joey Harrington of cornerbacks. 4 years later, and the word "potential" is still being tossed around. Now, you are saying he is young, give him time. Ok. I will wait for sundays game, and some games after that to judge him again, but from all reports out of camp (which are surprisingly accurate) say he has not changed, he has improved very little. Instead of holidng 3 times, he might only hold 2 times. Hooray, book him his trip to Hawaii now!

Me being confident in Thomas,Lenon,Collins, and Jenkins might be optimistic, but having faith in Ahmad Carroll is just silly. The only thing he has proved, is he is very proud of himself when he gets a tackle, by his stupid celebrating for making a standard tackle. This of course happens after his guy gets the reception off him.

You tell me to post after the game, after Carroll gets a game changing interception. I most certainly will if he does. I will also post if he doesnt(not to say anything to you, just to talk about the game in general). I DO hope he gets an interception. I am a packers fan first, carroll hater second. But I think Ahman green getting 341 rushing yards is more likely. But I will tell you what, if Carroll gets an interception(not even a 'game changing interception' ) I will put "Ahmad Carroll is a young superstar on the rise!" as well as "Raider Pride is the smartest man on this forum" in my signature for the rest of the season.

Now, I am going to bed soon (2:25AM central), and when I get up at 11, I will begin to drink. I will come onto the board before the game,halftime, and after the game. I hope to discuss the 2 interception game by carroll, and a packers win then. Adios

MNPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the article it seems that an unspecified source leaked that Caroll is starting, Not Coach Sherman. Sherman is not naming any of these starters so it is not suprising that Bates is not saying who it is. Sherman has said that Amad has made a lot of improvement (not sure how much you can put into that). From the fans who watch the game and some reporters, I have heard the opposite.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can bet IF Carrol gets a holding or PI penalty early Thomas will get in the game. The pressure is on Carrol and Detriot will look in his direction early and often.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
With the WR the Lions have it doesnt matter who starts. We will have to have an extra DB out there anyhow. That's my feeling on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts