Carrol observation from camp

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was at Fri's no pads Bills practice. D was doing some 11-11s vs. the Bills, Lossman threw up a duck, and Carrol picked it. The coaches and other Packer players went NUTS. One of the 2ndary coaches sprinted on to the field and started celebrating w/ him.

This sort of concerned me...should it really be that big of a deal?!? Does this further confirm what many already believe...that if it weren't for him being selected #1, he may be a lot lower on the depth chart?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I envy you guys being able to watch camp. I drove my family 18 hours 3 years ago to watch training camp for a few days. It was a blast.

I'm hoping that the coaches were going nuts because he was finally fulfilling his potential. You're right in that first round picks are sometimes given extra time to prove themselves but if they don't perform eventually they will get bumped. These coaches jobs depend on these kids to perform.

I wasn't there so I'm sure you have a better take on this than I do, but I think Carroll is going to take a huge step this year. He was pretty much handed the starting job because no one else was there but this year he has alot of young hungry competition pushing for his spot. If we find a pass rush he will be fine

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not to rub it in, but you're right, some of us are very fortunate to see the Packers that close, esp. when another team is involved...I was literally 3 feet from Lossman when he was waiting on a bike...should have bugged him for an autograph, but he was talking to some friends who had apparently traveled from IA to see him, and I thought it'd be rude.

As for Carroll...so far signs aren't so good. I've read that he may be in danger of being dropped to the dime back. He looked OK when I saw him in no pads, but that doesn't mean much. We'll see, but he's still a cocky sun of a gun from what I could tell.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember that this could have potentially been his senior season or true rookie season.

Carroll did not redshirt in college (if memory serves me). And he left after his junior year. This season would be his "actual" rookie year, or with a redshirt year, next year very well could've been. Carroll was drafted on hype and speed alone. And he is fast. Learning what to do with that speed is never easy.

Afterall, last season, the child was simply three years removed from dominating wide receivers at the HIGH SCHOOL level. There's a huge difference in Johnny Smith, high school stand out (or scrub for that matter), and Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, etc.

Many said he was still "raw" coming out last year and I think that's what you guys are finding. He's a work in progress with potential. Just hope that he reaches his potential before the time runs out on a first round pick's time table. And hopefully things don't just start clicking for him after he's run out of time if GB gives up on him.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to fly to Chicago and drive up to Green Bay just to visit the Hall of Fame and Lambeau, havent been to any training camp, and have to pay cable upgrade to be able to watch some of the games on TV, BUT THIS YEAR IS MY LUCKY YEAR I HAVE TICKETS FOR THE VIQUEENS GAME ON NOVEMBER 21 ST, can

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawkins is the best of any of them. digsthepack and I saw him last week at practice and he is going to be something special. He has all the tools, plays low, explodes out of the break and has great hips. He also doesn't hold. Hawkins will be the nickel back at the start of this season and might even be starting by the end. He's that good.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TO...that is great to hear. Coming from digs and yourself, it must be true. I really don't care who steps up as long as someone does. You can never have enough good corners.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, at least the celebration means that they support Carroll. I'm still not particularly encouraged by anything I hear about his performance in training camp. I'm liking this Hawkins guy a lot, though. If he works his way into the lineup he could be one of those players who inspires his teammates to play harder.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I go up and watch at least one practice every year. I went up yesterday and I made a comment to another fan that was there that this was the most animated I've ever seen the players and the coaching staff at a practice. I was impressed with how they applauded anything good that happened. I've said this before but I think they've built a very nice coaching staff whose primary goal is to teach and so every player on every play is learning and like a good teacher, the good things that are being done are being promoted and emphasized. Because of that, it's easier to take the criticism to get better because there will be good coming as a result of their efforts. Carroll gets ripped eveyrtime he does anything wrong, these coaches and player are really pulling for each other. That was also evident when Diggs got hurt yesterday. This looks like a team is going to work hard together.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll can still make the team as #3 or #4 corner. Collins if not starting is the nickel back. Could be Carroll is not good enough for the dime. The packer defense will be improved. Playing someone better than Carroll is a start.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOpack...he may be doing better than starting the season as the nickle, at least according to cliff christl...

TUESDAY, Aug. 9, 2005, 5:51 p.m.
Tuesday Training Camp Report

THUMBS UP

In the close to 60 years that the Green Bay Packers have played two-platoon football, they might have had only one rookie cornerback display as much potential as Mike Hawkins this early in camp. That was Willie Buchanon in 1972. Some old scouts still claim he was the best cornerback prospect ever, at least pre-Deion. Herb Adderley and Bob Jeter, the corners during the Vince Lombardi era, started out on offense. Mark Lee and Tim Lewis were both limited by hamstring injuries in their first camps. Craig Newsome and Mike McKenzie were clearly more advanced than Hawkins as players, but they lacked his speed and explosiveness. Chris Johnson was a camp phenom two years ago, but he started to hit the wall before he injured his knee in mid-August. To this point, Hawkins has made a play almost every day that jumps out. In the Tuesday morning practice, he made a nice break on the ball and broke up a Craig Nall pass, although he should have had an interception. On Monday, he started off the 7-on-7 drill by blitzing Brett Favre and batting down a pass.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts