Can we do better than Dujuan Harris as our kick returner?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

FYI: There are some more comments regarding this topic on the forum home page under "Time to Reevaluate the KO Return Job". I posed a similar question earlier this week so it seems I wasn't the only one wondering if someone else could provide more of a spark. G P G!

Admin Question: Can these 2 links be combined?

Done, but may get changed later.

Reaction score
I agree with 7thfloor, It would be prudent to keep a reliable KR on majority opportunities while getting an adequate look at the bench. Janis' specs fit the mold well and he doesn't detract from our starting O or D. I remember reading, after the combine, that Janis ranked top 10 and some scored him top 3 in all around physical traits. If I had a wish (reasonable) I think Sam Shields would be the guy, but we know that won't happen.

Reaction score
IMO there wasn't a snowballs chance that TT would pick a pure KR in the top 3 rounds to only do that job. He already had Harris, Franklin (unjured hopefully) and Cobb for the role. Plus a few practice guys that turned out to be just camp bodies. Also later in the draft is usually where return guys are selected. As a returner was the only way Abby made the roster this year.
Really? I contemplated that statement Poppa and wiki the 1st great KR that came to mind.. Honest here
1st round and 4th overall... Desmond Howard

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had a wish (reasonable) I think Sam Shields would be the guy, but we know that won't happen.

This leads me to believe you don't remember Sam's rookie season. They tried to make him a returner with that speed and he got into 3 fights with the ball on each return. He could not cleanly catch the ball with 27 guns to his head.

In other words, he was a terrible returner.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO there wasn't a snowballs chance that TT would pick a pure KR in the top 3 rounds to only do that job. He already had Harris, Franklin (unjured hopefully) and Cobb for the role. Plus a few practice guys that turned out to be just camp bodies. Also later in the draft is usually where return guys are selected. As a returner was the only way Abby made the roster this year.

Really? I contemplated that statement Poppa and wiki the 1st great KR that came to mind.. Honest here

Round: 2 / Pick: 57 2006 NFL draft, Devin Hester. Maybe it's just the DH initials? xD

EDIT:
Mel Grey; '86
supplemental draft, 2nd round.
Gale Sayers '65 NFL/AFL drafts; 1st round each, 4th and 5th respectively.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Janis would have been a great kick returner... My concern was that he is not built strong enough to survive the whole season. With a few games left, maybe we could test him again, and see if he's up to the task. MM loves to change things up before playoffs. This could be a move worth considering.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think Janis has been active for the last 4-5 weeks. IF he's activated would need to de-activate a player who's been active and may be more capable of seeing the field at their position in case of injury. Don't think MM will be playing roster games, too much at stake (#1 seed?).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Round: 2 / Pick: 57 2006 NFL draft, Devin Hester. Maybe it's just the DH initials? xD

EDIT:
Mel Grey; '86
supplemental draft, 2nd round.
Gale Sayers '65 NFL/AFL drafts; 1st round each, 4th and 5th respectively.
4 players in 45 years, one this generation? #1] usually does not mean always. #2] None of these were TT picks. #3] At least the last 2 were luxury picks. Packers don't have that option at the moment.

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything we do on special teams is average to below. The Packers are better than that. You can't win SB being average and it puzzles me why they let this continue year after year. Slocum is the problem.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything we do on special teams is average to below. The Packers are better than that. You can't win SB being average and it puzzles me why they let this continue year after year. Slocum is the problem.

Are not average or below on everything.

Punt coverage has been one of the leagues best until today. Hyde would lead the league in punt return average if he had enough returns. Crosby has been a solid kicker. Masthay has been good for us for years.

I get being frustrated about the special teams today, but doesn't mean we should exaggerate the problem.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 players in 45 years, one this generation? #1] usually does not mean always. #2] None of these were TT picks. #3] At least the last 2 were luxury picks. Packers don't have that option at the moment.
Na, it's just off the list of top 10 returners of all time. To be fair there were and equal portion of UDFA's and lower round picks in that list. Most of the higher picks were stand out players on either D or O and their special teams play I'd call just an added bonus so I didn't mention them. (ex: Deion Sanders) I agree that none of them were TT picks, though I never said they were either. And you didn't qualify that stipulation in your previous post either. I'd agree that it's unlikely to happen though. But yes, I'd expect a player as special as Devin Hester to comes around once a generation.

After this week, I want some punt coverage drafted in the 2nd round, okay guys. (jokes)

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Na, it's just off the list of top 10 returners of all time. To be fair there were and equal portion of UDFA's and lower round picks in that list. Most of the higher picks were stand out players on either D or O and their special teams play I'd call just an added bonus so I didn't mention them. (ex: Deion Sanders) I agree that none of them were TT picks, though I never said they were either. And you didn't qualify that stipulation in your previous post either. I'd agree that it's unlikely to happen though. But yes, I'd expect a player as special as Devin Hester to comes around once a generation.

After this week, I want some punt coverage drafted in the 2nd round, okay guys. (jokes)
1] I didn't specify TT as the response was to a post about the past draft. I assumed it was implied. Silly me.
2] You not happy with potential probowler Jarret Bush on punt coverage?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love this kid. He hits lanes aggressively and seems to be good about making sure he holds onto that ball, but he seems pretty hard pressed to make it past the 25 yard line when he does take it out. Seems to me if we could find a speedier guy back there to give the best QB in football better field position we might be better served. Thoughts?
Who do you suggest?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1] I didn't specify TT as the response was to a post about the past draft. I assumed it was implied. Silly me.
2] You not happy with potential probowler Jarret Bush on punt coverage?
1) Well I wasn't replying to that portion of your post so, meh.
2) I honestly don't have an opinion on him in that capacity.

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are not average or below on everything.

Punt coverage has been one of the leagues best until today. Hyde would lead the league in punt return average if he had enough returns. Crosby has been a solid kicker. Masthay has been good for us for years.

I get being frustrated about the special teams today, but doesn't mean we should exaggerate the problem.
I looked at the NFL stats and I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I saw the packers ranking average to sometimes the worst in the league in many sp. teams stats.

D

Deleted member 6794

I looked at the NFL stats and I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I saw the packers ranking average to sometimes the worst in the league in many sp. teams stats.

The punt return unit has been pretty good all season and Crosby has been a decent FG kicker. Kickoff return and punting has been close to the league average, the kickoff unit is near the bottom of the league though.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a stat on how many touchbacks the packers have gotten vs how many they have delivered? It seems like DuJuan takes a knee alot.

As far as the coverage units and the return units....there have been some different guys playing this year. Ryan Taylor sucked as a TE but he was pretty danm good at getting to the return man and tackling him. Goodson has been out there recently and he looks like he overruns his lane. Lattimore is gone now. Jayrone Elliot has been out there. Bush is either still hurt or just a shell of his former self.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is there a stat on how many touchbacks the packers have gotten vs how many they have delivered? It seems like DuJuan takes a knee alot.

As far as the coverage units and the return units....there have been some different guys playing this year. Ryan Taylor sucked as a TE but he was pretty danm good at getting to the return man and tackling him. Goodson has been out there recently and he looks like he overruns his lane. Lattimore is gone now. Jayrone Elliot has been out there. Bush is either still hurt or just a shell of his former self.

Teams have combined to return 52 kickoffs vs. the Packers while our returners have a total of 28.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does that take into account how we have to kick off much more often?

No, it's total amount of kickoffs returned. Teams return 60.64% of Crosby's kickoffs while the Packers return only 45.59%.

Lakedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need more of him on offense. He's the prototypical size of a top ten RB n runs like it too. In HS I had both duties. My success? One was based on skill, one on luck. Now that's true for most mortals. Desmond was a freak back there.

Members online

Latest posts