1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Can Greg be the Go to Guy after DD ?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by WinnipegPackFan, May 2, 2006.

1. WinnipegPackFan

WinnipegPackFan Cheesehead

Sep 22, 2005
    First my apologies if this article has been posted before but after reading this, do you guys think Greg will fill that WR void we have ?

Posted Apr. 29, 2006

Second-round pick: Jennings hopes to be playmaker for Favre

By Mike Woods

Greg Jennings thinks he has the ability to become Brett Favre’s new best friend.

“Just my ability to be a playmaker,’’ Jennings, the Green Bay Packers’ second second-round pick, No. 52. overall, said Saturday in assessing his strengths.

“Brett needed it this year and hopefully I will give it to them. I will give it to them.’’

With the trade of disgruntled wide receiver Javon Walker to Denver on Saturday, the Packers will need it from him.

At 5-11, 192 pounds, Jennings is a bit smaller than the kind of receiver Green Bay coaches had talked about obtaining. But it doesn’t seem to be a concern in Jennings’ case.

“Not really because I think good players come in all sizes, whether it’s a receiver or other positions,’’ said Packers receivers coach Jimmy Robinson. “If you had all things being equal, maybe you take a guy that’s a little bit bigger, but this guy plays big in my opinion.

“He makes plays, and he made them against good competition. So I don’t have any reservations about his size. There are an awful lot of players who are approximately 5-11, six feet, 195, 200 pounds. I don’t think he’s going to have any problem in that regard.’’

Robinson said he likes Jennings’ ability after the catch.

“He’s a guy that made the first guy miss an awful lot, I wrote that in my report,’’ said Robinson. “He’s quick and the other thing I thought was he was strong. He broke tackles as well as made guys miss. I think he’s a guy who will be tough to bring down.’’
  2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Nov 24, 2005
    I was surprised they went for a guy under 6 foot. After all the hub bub about wanting BIG receivers.
  3. Packman5

Packman5 Cheesehead

Apr 9, 2006
    even the packers couldn't pass up this guy no matter his size, he will be a nice complement to driver in a few years, he is better then ferguson and will do more then people expect.
  4. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Jun 14, 2005
    Jennings would have been a 1st round pick, maybe the #1 WR in this draft, had he gone to a big school. He's a great prospect, definitely a draft sleeper.

That being said, he's a raw rookie coming into the complicated WCO. Most WRs take 2-3 years to learn the offense and be productive. He'll be a good #3/4 WR for us with DD, Gardner and Fergy ahead of him.