Cam Newton lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

This was brought up on 1029 the hog with Steve Czban on Bob and Brian show

Cam Newton gets mixed reviews at Indy combine - ESPN

Newton, who worked with unfamiliar receivers in his throwing drills, flouted the advice a lot of agents advise their quarterbacks: to skip the passing portion of the combine and save those drills for campus workouts with receivers they know.
Newton completed 11 of his 21 throwing attempts. His ball sailed on 10-yard out patterns, 15-yard ins and fly patterns. He threw with pinpoint accuracy on all three of his 12-yard hooks, and completed two of three Z-out passes.

After watching Newton's display, retired quarterback and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer remarked "The ceiling is so astronomically high for this player, Cam Newton, that the scouts, the GMs, the coaches are really going to be slobbering about the prospects of having him on their team."

WOW Trent? Slobber much? He tossed 11 incomplete passes in shorts and no pressure, talk about how he sucked somewhat at least....

An "unfamiliar" receivers? They all toss to ones they dont know

Why is ESPN making excuses?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure I know hs kids that could complete more passes in the same situation than Cam did at the combine. He throws as much as he runs almost! He is going to struggle so so so much. Best situation for him would be to fall to the pats or Colts and they groom him for 3-4 years for the future. I am almost praying he goes to MN.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I told you guys he is all hype.

The ego, Mr. Look at me, I could break a 50 yard run at Auburn or I could throw bombs all day long in College without any pressure, is not going to be able to do all of that in the real football league.

When I look at Newton, I see Vince Young, with less-experience. Newton had only ONE year of high stats. Remember that, ONE year. And he already thinks he is going to be some sort of champion in the real Football league.

This kid is going to get drafted by a bad team, with a bad o-line (Hope he gets sacked a **** ton.) and his whole ego of being the boss is going to be the stepping stone of his failure. What did you see in the BCS game? He's so used to a good offensive line, he was not looking both ways before forcing the ball out (That's why he got sacked and fumbled the ball against Oregon).

He has yet to see a real defense. he don't know what a real blitz is, and last but not least, when he takes off running, he's not going to be able to bust a 50 yard gain like Steve Young.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand having incomplete passes due to not being familiar with the receivers. But there were drills where there was a cone on the side of the field that the receivers were supposed to run their routes toward. So all the QBs had to do was throw to a spot where the receiver should be. There were a lot of incompletions by all of the QBs, but most of them were throwing it to the right spot, the timing was just off. Cam Newton was throwing it 10 yards out of bounds or 10 yards over the receivers' heads. It looked really terrible. It could be that he was just having a bad day, but he's got bust written all over him.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Completely agree, but it's his ego. Nothing is ever his fault. It will be like watching Jeff George over throw someone and of course it's NOT his fault, cause he's some kind of God.

Already he's blaming it on the receivers, when he can't throw worth a crap.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering he'll be on a bad team, he'll play two conference games against similarly bad teams and almost no division cept the NFC South has over 2 good teams therefore he'll only play around 8 good teams with good defenses all year. I'm sure he might bust a 50 yd highlight reel run sometime in the season like VY's rookie season where everyone thought Houston made a mistake not drafting Bush or Young. But I agree he is very much overrated and speed of the Pros will not allow a running QB to succeed unless he can complete passes in the pocket.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I am almost praying he goes to MN.

I hope he does go to MN. I mean, I've heard Brett Favre's mentoring him.

Favre: Don't throw to open recievers, okay? That's what p*ssies do. What you need to do is throw on your back foot and force it into triple coverage. That way, you can make plays and look good doing it.

Newton: But what if I the pass gets intercepted?

Favre: Then pretend you have a biceps injury and blame it on your bad arm. That way, you can still look like a bad *ss. ESPN loves a player who plays through the pain!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throwing incompletions is pretty much irrelevant at the combine. What coaches look for is the process of dropping and releasing on time, and where the ball goes. I think it was Tolzien or Stanzy who kept missing the receiver, but the ball always traveled to the same spot, near the cone, and that's what the scouts are looking for. Remember, a lot of the receivers don't have a clue how to run that route, they're often times late.
Newton was okay. He had some inconsistancy, focusing too much on the receiver's progression rather than his own, but his mechanics are very good, and that's what the scouts were looking for.
One guy that looked AWFUL at the combine was Tebow. Awful.

Newton had never taken ANY plays from under center, be it 3, 5, let alone 7 step drops.
That doesn't mean he can't play. Bradford hadn't either, came from a very similar system as Cam (shotgun all the time, only half of the field to read) and looks like a franchise QB.

Of course he's not ready to play now. Right now, based on current performance translated to the NFL, he'd be a 4th round pick at best.

But the talent is there. He is accurate, his throwing mechanics are great and he has a huge arm to go along with great athleticism.

I don't think he'll be able to play from the get go, specially if there's no minicamps, but Bradford had never played in a pro-style offense and took the reins from the get go, performing well. He learned the playbook on the fly. Cam did the same at Auburn (though the Florida system is very similar), for all we know he could do the same in the NFL.

But, yeah, Dilfer is paying too much lip service to him. I wonder if there's something behind that...

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much agree with everything PackerRS just said. Who cares about ten minutes of passing anyway, I bet not one scout cares about those "over throws" he will be drafted on his whole body of work so far.

If you were judged on a particular moment in your life, I bet you'd think people that judged you poorly were being unfair. I think from a scouts point of view that the whole combine is more about having the ability to watch technique, find flaws if any, see the work ethic / attitude of the players etc

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The money test. What does the player do with all of his newfound riches?
sam bradford? bought a really nice ping pong table. Jamarcus Russell? New cars and jewelry. I wonder what Peyton Manning bought with his first check... Im guessing a big tv so he could break down film at home.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are more egos in football and just sport in general that the down to earth players ARE the exception, no scouts care about ego, they would define it as confidence.
Personally I can't stand big ego players, but if the majority felt the same as me, then why is T.O. always on the TV? because that's what a lot of people do want.
Ego or not, he is gonna make a crap ton of money soon, if not through contract, then sponsorship will fill in no doubt.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Throwing incompletions is pretty much irrelevant at the combine. What coaches look for is the process of dropping and releasing on time, and where the ball goes. I think it was Tolzien or Stanzy who kept missing the receiver, but the ball always traveled to the same spot, near the cone, and that's what the scouts are looking for. Remember, a lot of the receivers don't have a clue how to run that route, they're often times late.
Newton was okay. He had some inconsistancy, focusing too much on the receiver's progression rather than his own, but his mechanics are very good, and that's what the scouts were looking for.
One guy that looked AWFUL at the combine was Tebow. Awful.

Newton had never taken ANY plays from under center, be it 3, 5, let alone 7 step drops.
That doesn't mean he can't play. Bradford hadn't either, came from a very similar system as Cam (shotgun all the time, only half of the field to read) and looks like a franchise QB.

Of course he's not ready to play now. Right now, based on current performance translated to the NFL, he'd be a 4th round pick at best.

But the talent is there. He is accurate, his throwing mechanics are great and he has a huge arm to go along with great athleticism.

I don't think he'll be able to play from the get go, specially if there's no minicamps, but Bradford had never played in a pro-style offense and took the reins from the get go, performing well. He learned the playbook on the fly. Cam did the same at Auburn (though the Florida system is very similar), for all we know he could do the same in the NFL.

But, yeah, Dilfer is paying too much lip service to him. I wonder if there's something behind that...

I agree the combine for q/b is sort of stupid, but to miss the throws he did and how he is odd, given the fact he said he was an icon

My point of bringing this up was shut up and not run your mouth...

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are more egos in football and just sport in general that the down to earth players ARE the exception, no scouts care about ego, they would define it as confidence.
Personally I can't stand big ego players, but if the majority felt the same as me, then why is T.O. always on the TV? because that's what a lot of people do want.
Ego or not, he is gonna make a crap ton of money soon, if not through contract, then sponsorship will fill in no doubt.

There a instances where sports teams can be politically influential (mainly overseas)... But for the rest of us, it is just entertainment.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the combine for q/b is sort of stupid, but to miss the throws he did and how he is odd, given the fact he said he was an icon

Would Peyton miss those throws? Would Peyton go crazy on some future 6th rounder for dropping a ball? I assume so.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ch-erbmxO4&feature=related]YouTube - The Real Peyton Manning[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The money test. What does the player do with all of his newfound riches?
sam bradford? bought a really nice ping pong table. Jamarcus Russell? New cars and jewelry. I wonder what Peyton Manning bought with his first check... Im guessing a big tv so he could break down film at home.

Those are his problems. Not mechanics, or ability to comprehend defenses IMHO.

But the possibility of him not giving a **** and getting a huge head, like Vince Young and JaMarcus Russel.

Yeah, I aim to be an entertainer and an Icon, even if it's for advertisement purposes, it's a dumb as hell line, and shows his true colors.

What really gets under my skin is the whole Team Newton thing, the constant adressing himself on the third person, and the scripted interviews.

Doesn't he seems like someone we know? Someone also managed by Bus Cook?

I think if he lands somewhere stable, and with a great coach that will put him in line, he can suceed. So, here's to the Vikings taking him!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would Peyton miss those throws? Would Peyton go crazy on some future 6th rounder for dropping a ball? I assume so.

YouTube - The Real Peyton Manning
Gotta love Peyton's sense of humor. He knows he's a perfectionist *******. If he could relax a little bit more, he would have a ring or two more to show...

That, or if his GM could get more obsessive guys like him. Because his attitude doesn't help them in the playoffs, when there's adversity and everything's on the line.

Could you imagine Peyton Manning against the Steelers, with all those drops? He would completely lost faith in his receivers...

Reaction score
as an auburn student that was at every home game last year, i have seen quite a bit of cam. this ego stuff is absolutely not true. cam is a 20 year old that is trying to keep his ego down to earth while the media is inflating him. put yourself in his position. If the media told you you were hot s***, i bet everyone would at least struggle to say otherwise.
as far as his abilities, he is a much better runner than a passer. don't evaluate him on the nc game. his last college game was probably the worst game he played all year. when trying to evaulate him, i found that cam has four problems.
1st- he needs to learn to sit in the pocket more. he tucked the ball and ran way to much in college.
2nd- he needs to work on his intermediate passes a little more. i wouldn't call him bad. i would just call him inconsistant. some games, he would do well on intermediate passes. others, not so much.
3rd- he needs to adjust to the pro offense. auburn runs a run heavy spread with alot of shotgun formations. (so did blynn junior college and so did florida) we only put cam under center a handful of times all season. this probably was a contributor to his poor performance at the combine. he isn't used to taking 7 step drops.
4th- his reading skills improved quite a bit over the course of the year, but he could still improve a little more before he is named a starter.
i really hope minnisota doesn't pick him up. there are some auburn fans that think he is ready start. i definately don't agree. i'm hoping he gets drafted to somewhere that he can be developed. he has a killer arm and is very mobile. he just needs a little more refining. remember, he only had significant play time for one year in a fbs football program.
Go Pack!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love Peyton's sense of humor. He knows he's a perfectionist *******. If he could relax a little bit more, he would have a ring or two more to show...

That, or if his GM could get more obsessive guys like him. Because his attitude doesn't help them in the playoffs, when there's adversity and everything's on the line.

Could you imagine Peyton Manning against the Steelers, with all those drops? He would completely lost faith in his receivers...

Jordy Nelson would have been in the porta potty with James Jones LOL

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as an auburn student that was at every home game last year, i have seen quite a bit of cam. this ego stuff is absolutely not true. cam is a 20 year old that is trying to keep his ego down to earth while the media is inflating him. put yourself in his position. If the media told you you were hot s***, i bet everyone would at least struggle to say otherwise.
as far as his abilities, he is a much better runner than a passer. don't evaluate him on the nc game. his last college game was probably the worst game he played all year. when trying to evaulate him, i found that cam has four problems.
1st- he needs to learn to sit in the pocket more. he tucked the ball and ran way to much in college.
2nd- he needs to work on his intermediate passes a little more. i wouldn't call him bad. i would just call him inconsistant. some games, he would do well on intermediate passes. others, not so much.
3rd- he needs to adjust to the pro offense. auburn runs a run heavy spread with alot of shotgun formations. (so did blynn junior college and so did florida) we only put cam under center a handful of times all season. this probably was a contributor to his poor performance at the combine. he isn't used to taking 7 step drops.
4th- his reading skills improved quite a bit over the course of the year, but he could still improve a little more before he is named a starter.
i really hope minnisota doesn't pick him up. there are some auburn fans that think he is ready start. i definately don't agree. i'm hoping he gets drafted to somewhere that he can be developed. he has a killer arm and is very mobile. he just needs a little more refining. remember, he only had significant play time for one year in a fbs football program.
Go Pack!
Great input man!

First off, all the listed problems with him are coachable. So that wouldn't sway off a team, not with his potential.

And regarding the ego issue, we're not talking about regular joe here. QBs can't afford that luxury of riding the hype. They have to behave above what a normal guy would feel. They need to be the hardest workers on the team and have to command respect in the huddle.

In college, you can do that with a big head, being the man on campus. You can lead by performance. He's so clearcut above everybody else, that the guys know that, despite everything, him being there makes everybody win.

At the NFL level, that doesn't fly. Specially if he's making millions without ever stepping on the field. You think that veteran guard that never got the huge contract is gonna go the extra mile for a guy that shows up late for work and is always on the billboard on the highway? Hell no. Right now, at his level, there are hundreds of guys like Cam Newton that make much less money and are much harder workers. And he won't realize his potential if his teammates don't believe in him.

He can't just "try" to remain focused while all the hype is being generated. He HAS to. And that's yet to be seen.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
When it comes to quarterbacks, the character represents a view to the public, and most the time the character tells us what kind of quarterback they are.

Look at Drew Brees. You NEVER see him flipping out or going berserk, even when the perfect pass is dropped. He's so appreciative, and seems like a guy you could get a long with outside of playing football. In games where the threw 3 or 4 picks this year, he never was blaming it on other people. That's why the public likes Drew Brees, he's a likeable guy, always smiling and reminds us that if you play the game, you should have fun.

Since Michael Vick came out of prison you have not heard him say anything or do anything stupid, all we ever hear about during an Eagles game or conversation about him is how "his past this...his past that". What people don't see about Vick it's the media, and ignorant fans that always bring up something about the past, but his attitude toward the game now is a lot different. I think he's a better person now than he ever was, and he sure as hell played his heart out this season. Then we have quarterbacks who get pampered non stop, no matter how many times they screw up cause they think the sun rises and shines over their *****, this is the babies, such as Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, and Vince Young. You try talking Cutler to Bears fans or Smith to 49er fans and you get a million excuses over their interceptions and screw ups. Vince Young is a baby who still has the attitude from college that he is some "elite quarterback" with 42 TD's and 42 INT's.

So where does Cam the Scam fit in? The baby categorey if you ask me. The media is going to pamper this kid like they do Favre. Even with his screw ups in combine, he NEVER once blamed himself. It was something else. He's already got a bad attitude, so let him fail. I'll be laughing my *** off to watch him fail.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL Which is exactly why he decided to throw at the Combine. What a narcissistic punk.

No.

He had to throw at the Combine after the media day show.

If he bailed out of the Combine and just decided to throw at his Pro Day, there would have been red flags all over from NFL teams.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say it until the day I die, Cam Newton will be a bust. Mark it down. You will never persuade me otherwise. If he wins ten Super Bowls I will still think he is a horrible QB. Bust. Bust. Bust.

Looking at his bust probability - VIKINGS TRADE UP TO DRAFT HIM!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Latest posts