Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SUN., FEB 4, 2007 - 1:21 AM
Packers: Thompson's plan still in place
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY - OK, so Brett Favre is coming back.

Now what?

That's the question facing Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who can spend today working on an answer since he can't bring himself to watch Super Bowl XLI. (He says if his team isn't playing in it, he's not interested.)

But if you're expecting Thompson to junk his slow-but-steady rebuilding process and go hog-wild in free agency to make one last Super Bowl push on Favre's behalf, you're going to be disappointed.

"I don't think so," Thompson said of the latter approach. "I think baseball teams can do that sometimes. Football teams can't do that. I think you just try to get better, and the easiest way is for your existing players to improve, for your coaches to coach a little better, your scouts to scout a little better.

"Maybe you add a few players here and there, but you just try to get better, and we'd do that no matter who the quarterback was."

Publicly, the question of Favre's return was the No. 1 offseason issue facing the Packers. But privately, Thompson and his scouting staff were going about its business-as-usual offseason routine, just like last year, breaking down film and discussing players in daily pre-draft and pre-free agency meetings. In fact, Thompson was in one such meeting when Favre called him Friday.

While Thompson said Favre didn't give him a specific reason why he was returning, Thompson took it as a good sign he is happy with the direction the team is headed, having improved from 4-12 in 2005 to 8-8 last season.

Nonetheless, one league source said Favre wants to see the team upgrade its offensive personnel, perhaps by trading for disgruntled Oakland receiver Randy Moss. Favre has always liked Moss, who was once represented by Favre's agent, Bus Cook, but it's unclear what the Raiders would want in return.

Thompson said he didn't make Favre any personnel-related promises when they talked Friday - "He didn't ask for any, either," Thompson said - but in a conversation late last week, coach Mike McCarthy reportedly told Favre that improving the offensive skill positions is a priority this offseason.

McCarthy was at his offseason home in Austin, Texas, and unavailable for comment, the team said. But as chairman and CEO Bob Harlan pointed out, the Packers barely missed the playoffs in the watered-down NFC and could be only a few players away from contention.

"A solid draft, pick up a free agent or two ... we weren't that far away this year," Harlan said, referring to the team's four-game winning streak to end the season. "If the NFC stays the way it is, we've got a great shot next year."

It does help the Packers that Favre came to a decision earlier than in recent years - he waited until April 25 to come back last year and until March 10 in 2005 - although with more than $25 million in salary-cap space, the Packers wouldn't have been too put out had he procrastinated again.

The only position where the Packers would have been affected was quarterback, where they would have needed to add a veteran backup such as Philadelphia's Jeff Garcia or Kansas City's Damon Huard as insurance behind - and possibly competition for - 2005 first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers.

Now, the Packers can focus on figuring out whether to re-sign free-agent halfback Ahman Green, what to do at tight end and how to augment a receiver corps that behind Donald Driver has Greg Jennings, who faded late in his rookie season, Robert Ferguson, who is coming off a serious foot injury, and Koren Robinson, who is serving a one-year substance abuse suspension.

"I think we all have to take another step - grow up and eliminate the mistakes that led us to all the negative things that happened in the beginning and the middle of the season," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "If we can build on how we finished, I think we're in good shape."

Asked whether he thinks Favre's return makes his team a playoff contender, Thompson said, "I certainly hope so. I think everybody goes into the new (season) with aspirations of being in the playoffs and hopefully be able to play in the (Super Bowl). But there are 31 other teams that will be thinking the same way. But we feel like we're getting better as a team, and certainly I think it's good to be having Brett coming back."

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is a really strange article, and does it make you wonder or worry about what the hell exactly TT is up to..???
:roll:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"I think baseball teams can do that sometimes. Football teams can't do that. I think you just try to get better, and the easiest way is for your existing players to improve, for your coaches to coach a little better, your scouts to scout a little better." - Ted Thompson

That's very true.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think baseball teams can do that sometimes. Football teams can't do that. I think you just try to get better, and the easiest way is for your existing players to improve, for your coaches to coach a little better, your scouts to scout a little better." - Ted Thompson

That's very true.

Which is the reason the Packers will never win a NFC Championship while Ted Thompson is GM of the Packers.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why cuz they almost made it into the playoffs THIS year with tons of young players and a rookie HC and they will only get better?

yeah that makes sense....no it doesnt.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why cuz they almost made it into the playoffs THIS year with tons of young players and a rookie HC and they will only get better?

yeah that makes sense....no it doesnt.

Almost did, LMAO. You mean woulda, coulda, shoulda but didn't.

Brett Favre is TT's window of opportunity which is quickly coming to an end. When Brett retires TT's window will be closed.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, almost did, in a weak NFC. Oh thats right, the NFC is weak, and a lot of teams can make it to the NFC Championship game and not even be that great(Hi bears), so thats another reason your comment is stupid.

if Brett Favre is TTs window, then TT is already done.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's what I've been saying since I got here. The Packers are going nowhere with TT as GM.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

That's very true.

Which is the reason the Packers will never win a NFC Championship while Ted Thompson is GM of the Packers.

:confused: I then suppose there's no snowballs chance in hell you're watching any games while Ted is the GM, right?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah, almost did, in a weak NFC. Oh thats right, the NFC is weak, and a lot of teams can make it to the NFC Championship game and not even be that great(Hi bears), so thats another reason your comment is stupid.

Gee..I guess by this statement you're saying that Favre is no good, washed up, and can't get it done then anymore, right?

Of course, you will deny that this is what you're saying in the very next thread..

(Even though you just said it two mins. ago.....)

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Go cuddle your eggs somemore....

(What have we devolved to non sequiturs here..??)

You are obtuse, my friend...Now your posts are not even in the neighborhood of making sense...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Does anyone else think this is a really strange article, and does it make you wonder or worry about what the hell exactly TT is up to..???
:roll:

What do you think is strange about the article? I thought it was pretty bland, myself. I don't expect Thompson to say anything specific about his plans for a team.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very simply...

When Ron Wolf got to GB he said.."HEY..I'm gonna do this, and that, and the other thing and put GB back on the map by bringing championships to Titletown once again..."

"I'm gonna go out and sign Reggie White.." "I'm gonna help out our QB Brett Favre"...etc..etc..

And then he delivered on these promises...

He brought a sense of excitement and expectation to a franchise where these things had been looooooooong gone..(except for '89).

Now where and who do you think a FA player or a rookie is going to want to play....?

For a guy like Wolf who inspires belief and hope in a franchise for greatness, or for a taciturn, miserly, unfriendly loner who makes you feel like you are a guinea pig for his inscrutible machinations...???

Let me put it this way...

I find it very strange when a reporter asks the GM a question like...

"Doesn't having Brett Favre come back for another year greatly help the Packers chances"...and the GM...(paraphrasing: "Yeah, I guess so...maybe..but it really doesn't matter much".... I mean WTF is that..??)

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

That's very true.

For once me and cliff agree...LOL well said. and it couldnt be more true....Face it TT sucks!!!!

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't TT draft key guys that got seattle in the superbowl?

Buddy wake up...Mike Holgrem got the Seahawks to the superbowl..Just like he did with the pack....Now there's definately no arguein that one!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
fvre4mvp said:

Buddy wake up...Mike Holgrem got the Seahawks to the superbowl..Just like he did with the pack....Now there's deffinately no arguein that one!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

What did Ted Thompson do while he was with the Seattle Seahawks?

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:
fvre4mvp said:

Buddy wake up...Mike Holgrem got the Seahawks to the superbowl..Just like he did with the pack....Now there's deffinately no arguein that one!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Sat on his **** in his office and pondered to himself, "How can I destroy brett favre and the green bay packers"?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Sat on his **** in his office and pondered to himself, "How can I destroy brett favre and the green bay packers"?

Thompson worked in Seattle along with former Packers and current Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren. During Thompsons time in Seattle, The Seahawks advanced to the playoffs in two of the five seasons there with several players Thompson helped acquired through the draft. Some of the notable players Thompson selected in his tenure with the Seahawks were running back Shaun Alexander, kicker Josh Brown, guard Steve Hutchinson, and wide receiver Darrell Jackson, cornerbacks Marcus Trufant and Ken Lucas, safeties Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware.

Members online

Latest posts