building through the draft

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did you notice that during last night's Colts-Saints game, they mentioned that the Colts only have 4 players that ever played for a different NFL game.

That Thompson surely doesn't know what he's doing when he doesn't go after high-priced free agents, right?

Reaction score
^ They were the youngest, until a few days ago when the Packers made a move that made them the youngest team in the NFL for a second straight year.

Heard that on last nights telecast by Al Michales.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
The thing with this... is building through the draft takes...

A) Time
B) Good talent evaluation that fits your scheme..
C) Stability at HC and staff to allow the GM to fit players to aforemention scheme
D) You Still have to fill in holes in the roster with key pickups.. See McFarland last year... anchored that line going into the playoff along with Sander (draft pick) returning..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers were primed for a rebuilding thru the draft. We were lacking serious talent on defense along with an aging offense with lousy special teams and depth.

One thing not talked alot here is the fact that along with a new coaching staff involved in the influx of new players comes an overall fresh start and new attitude.

While MM doesn't rant and rave or pound his chest he is obviously building a toughness we haven't seen in quite awhile. When you look at the Hawks, and Bigby's and Rouse's and Jenkins and Poppinga's and even offensive lineman like Spitz and Colledge are known to play with a chip on their shoulder.

For the last few years it looked to me the Packers came out flat at times and lacking confidence. I think we will see them come out Sunday with an attitude and expect to win.

Rebuilding thru the draft does more than change the names on the roster and add youth.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing with this... is building through the draft takes...

A) Time
B) Good talent evaluation that fits your scheme..
C) Stability at HC and staff to allow the GM to fit players to aforemention scheme
D) You Still have to fill in holes in the roster with key pickups.. See McFarland last year... anchored that line going into the playoff along with Sander (draft pick) returning..

B and C we have. I have never heard anyone say the Packers have a bad scouting department. I think as long as we win 6 or more games this year, Mike McCarthy is the head coach and I think if we win 9, he gets a contract extension.

D I'm not sure about.

A I'm ok with but a lot of fans aren't because they want to win now because of Brett Favre. If Favre retired before Thompson got here then I don't think that many fans would be so irrate that he's rebuilding through the draft and not using free agency as often as some teams.

I do think that the Packers are heading in the right direction for the most part.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
Ted Thompson Sucks!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

J/K!!!! Thought I would throw in a little humor today... no offense Packnic.

haha first of all... who am i to get upset at a smart *** comment. i mean really. i can dish it AND take it.

however... i really dont think agreeing with Ted Thompsons ideas and actions makes me sheepish or a lemming... i in fact think its the other way around. Im all for change while most fans who disagree with TT seem to think that you have to do everything the way Lombardi and Holmgren/Wolf did it. while those ways worked then it doesnt help out in these times.

I just see through the crap that is a patch work team... sure your plugging holes in free agency and bringing in guys who were successful in the past. But it takes real balls to walk into a situation that looked fine on the outside and blow it all up. especially in a tight knit place like Green Bay.

To me, believing that a GM's personality or lack there of, is a reason to disagree with his moves is sheepish. To me disagreeing with a GM's moves because its the popular thing is sheepish. I kinda feel like Im (along with a few others and even you more and more each day) in the minority. I definetly dont think every move TT makes is gold.

I just see the benefit of TT's foresighted moves. If that makes me a sheep... THEN BAAAA BAAAA MOTHER TRUCKERS! haha