Brett's number 4

Reggie's number is being retired. Should Brett's and if so when?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-4 years after retirement

• 5 or more years after retirement

• Total voters

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I would be happy if they retired it in the last second of his last game. That is what he desirves. I wish they would do it like that. It would be a great way to send him out. But of course that is only if his last game is in Lambeau.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ago, I agree, in fact something got screwed up as I had a 4th choice "right after he retires". Thinking within a year. Sorry.

faninOz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't TT, or Harlan, say in his interview about retiring Reggie's number that they would be retiring Brett's someday. If so then it sounds like that decision has already been made and if it hasn't then it should be.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually, is reggie's NUMBER being retired? I read somewhere that the NFL isn't too keen on retiring #s anymore, so Reggie's JERSEY was retired. I guess I'm neutral on this, but also, for what it's worth, I believe these are the only retired Packer #s...

3 Tony Canadeo
14 Don Hutson
15 Bart Starr
66 Ray Nitschke

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
does the nfl have any say over what numbers the packers retire?

it's not like #42 being retired from all of MLB.

i never wanna see anyone pull on a green and gold #4.

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
muscy, I believe you are right on a technecality. However, it amounts to the same thing in practicality. The NFL is worried if some team retires 5 or6 numbers in the 90s there won't be enought left for the D linemen on that team, as an example. As a retired jersey they could reissue the number if they had to. I don't really see any problems for,say, another 50-100 years or unless some teams start retireing number for making the pro bowl.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes you definitly have to be careful of the person who you are retireing there number and what position they play. But there is no doubt for Brett Favre.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
SlickVision said:
I don't believe in retiring numbers.
Any reason why? If the players do good enough they desirve it.

I say no, nothing against Brett he's one of my all time favorite athletes ever, I really don't feel any number is worth retiring. In 20 years if you see someone wearing #4 its gonna remind you of all the great memories we have from Brett and if his number was retired that wouldn't happen as often. I'm not saying players are forgotten, not saying that at all. Teams have a lmited amount of numbers even though they truly use less than 60.

If they DID retire his number I wouldn't hold it against them for it, if anyone deserves it, he does. I'm against any number retiring. This I've put a lot of thought into when my idol Dale Earnhardt passed away. My first thought was ' they better not EVER let someone use 3 EVER again' but as time has past I hope someone does and I hope they know the man who made the number known thought out households accross the world.

My other idol Barry Sanders, I think he deserves his number retired but I hope it doesnt get retired. I wanna see some young kid wear his number and wear it proudly.

I know I rambled here, did ya get my point though?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes you got your point through. I see where you are comming from. I just tend to think differently. It is fine the way you look at it too. I think you made a good point. The only problem I have with it is you mentioned Barry Sanders and some young kid having his number to kind of revive it. Well what if that young kid does terribile? That would just be dishonering the number. But I will agree to disagree with you. You do have a point.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Doing the number injustice entered my mind as well. It's apparent no one will ever live up to his shoes therefore in that sense its always an injustice. NO one but Barry can tarnish his legacy, no one not even some kid wearing his number.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears have retired 13 numbers and that is why guys like Mike Singletary, Dan Hampton and Richard Dent will probally never have their numbers retired. The NFL gave the Bears a lot of s**t when they retired Butkus and Sayers at the same time.
3 Bronko Nagurski
5 George McAfee
7 George Halas
28 Willie Gallimore
34 Walter Payton
40 Gale Sayers
41 Brian Piccolo
42 Sid Luckman
51 **** Butkus
56 Bill Hewitt
61 Bill George
66 Clyde (Bulldog) Turner
77 Harold (Red) Grange

TinaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Favere should have his number retired. I too agree that some teams retire far too many numbers but the Packers are not one of these teams. Currently there are only four numbers retired, Reggie will be number five and Brett should be six. It has been 80+ years since the Packers began and six numbers averages out to less than one number every ten years.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How would you like to see, say...Cletedious Hunt wearing #92....

or Ray Lewis, should he become a Packer..wearing #66....?

a number should be retired every 25 years, or so, if warrented...

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Doing the number injustice entered my mind as well. It's apparent no one will ever live up to his shoes therefore in that sense its always an injustice. NO one but Barry can tarnish his legacy, no one not even some kid wearing his number.
Then how do you get around doing the number injustice?

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some very good thoughts brought up here. I am not against retiring a number. The Bears seem to have gone overboard, but that's another story.

Here is another thought. Perhaps make the number a "Number of Honor" or something like that. Where a player would have to earn the right to wear it.This could be done at the discretion of the team(management, coaches,players, etc.).

Syracuse used to do a variation of this back when they were a college football power. They would promise a blue chip running back recruit #44 if they came there. That was the number which was worn by Jimmy Brown and Ernie Davis. In fact, if I remember correctly, that is the reason Larry Czonka or Floyd Little chose Syracuse.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey I love that idea. That is good. I had never thought of that. I would like that if they did that, just make some guys earn a number. But dont you think that some of these guys who would earn someone elses number wouldn't they want their own number?

Members online

Latest posts