Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=620849

Favre & Friends deliver a treat on Father's Day. Fans, some beneficiaries of event enjoy fun-filled day

When the national anthem began, Brett Favre stood about 20 yards away from a proud teenager, and the softball field they stood on was the only common ground they shared. Here was the National Football League's elder statesman, returning for his 17th year, poised to lead the Green Bay Packers to the playoffs and put his name on many of the league's passing records. And behind Favre was a boy not much younger than his oldest daughter, holding the state flag in the honor guard; a boy so troubled that, last fall, he begrudgingly left his home in West Allis to get the help he needed at the Rawhide Boys Ranch. They didn't have much in common but Favre and the teen, Danny, are linked in a small way.

On a gorgeous Sunday afternoon at Fox Cities Stadium, a record crowd of 8,597 fans came to see Favre and many of his Packers teammates play in the Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game. The fund-raising event brought in about $200,000 last year and is expected to match that number this year. The proceeds go to the Favre Fourward Foundation, which supports disabled and disadvantaged youth in both Wisconsin and Mississippi, Favre's home state. One of the charities the foundation supports is Rawhide. Since 2001, the Fourward Foundation has donated $95,000 to the residential alternative for at-risk and court-referred boys, ages 13 to 18, from all over the state. The Packers' offensive team held off a rally to beat the defense, 14-13, in an extra eighth inning. The fans got a fun show and a chance to see a different side of players like Tyrone Culver, Brandon Miree and Vernand Morency. But the whole point of the day was to raise money.

"That's what it is all about," Favre said. "The people who have donated their time, donated their money. . . . We're truly appreciative of the support that we've gotten not only for this event but for some of our other events as well. It benefits a lot of people and we're truly grateful." Danny (Rawhide does not permit the use of last names) is 15 years old and arrived Dec. 11 at Rawhide's campus on 600-plus acres along the Wolf River outside New London. Every day begins at 6:15 a.m. for exercise, then continues with a full day of either school work or job training. Last week, Danny's training sent him to Langlade County for four days to help clean up the damage left by a tornado that ripped through the Bear Paw resort.

"The owners thanked us almost every time they saw us," Danny said. "It had to be horrible for them. It was hot, but it was good because we were helping people. They lost everything and we were just helping them get back on their feet." The problems that brought Danny to Rawhide can't be disclosed because he is a juvenile, but the change in him since joining the About Face program is obvious, even to Rawhide executive director John Solberg. Danny said that, before, he wasn't much interested in school, physical education or anything much more than hanging out with friends. Now, he is eager for his sophomore year at high school back home. "At first I didn't want to come to Rawhide because I thought I would lose all of my freedom and I'd live by so many rules," he said. "I found out it's really not bad at all. We've learned so much. We help so many people. It's introduced me to God. It's gotten me in shape with the physical training. When I leave, I will take with me all the love and the structure and the ability to make the right choices." Rawhide sends many of its boys to the Favre softball game to work as volunteers as a gesture of thanks. Danny wasn't awestruck in the presence of the Packers, but he said it was a thrill to be in the game's honor guard. "I just hope Favre wins another Super Bowl," Danny said. There's another thing the boy and the quarterback have in common.

Favre said he didn't know how the Fourward Foundation would continue to raise money for charity after he eventually retires. Since it was created in 1996, the foundation has raised $3 million. Running backs coach Edgar Bennett, whose bowling fund-raiser held a few weeks ago raised $45,000 for charity, and other players have said they hoped the softball game would continue for many years because of the camaraderie that develops among the players. This year's game was entertaining, with a 2007 seventh-round draft pick, tight end Clark Harris, driving in the winning run. Second-year cornerback Jarrett Bush amused the crowd with his good humor, and kicker Dave Rayner sang during the fifth-inning stretch. Two spectators won the opportunity to play with the Packers: Scott Horack donated $14,000 for the right to play with the offense; Dave Krapf donated $9,000 to play for the defense. For retired Marine Cpl. Neil Frustaglio, an Iraq veteran who lost part of his legs, and his wife, Pam, the day was a treat; they met Favre and sat in the first-base dugout chatting with Packers long snapper Rob Davis during the game.

Favre, who missed a few Packers practices last week with a sore shoulder, played it safe for a few innings at second base and took a few at-bats. "Deanna and I, we're amazed every year at the amount of people who come out for this event," Favre said. "And the amount of money we're able to raise is all because of the people."

[align=center]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Favre family[/align]

[align=center]

Brandon Miree does his Babe Ruth impression[/align]

[align=center]

Bret hits a home run in 1st inning[/align]

[align=center]

Brett Favre sits in the dugout holding his youngest daughter Breleigh[/align]

[align=center]

Atari Bigby drops the ball as Brandon Miree scores[/align]

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070618/PKR01/706180556/1989

Brett Favre softball game: Record crowd watches Packers swing for charity

A record 8,597 green-and-gold-clad fans crammed into Fox Cities Stadium on Sunday to watch the Green Bay Packers' offense nip the defense 14-13 in eight innings during the eighth annual Brett Favre Celebrity Softball Game. Proceeds benefit the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, which aims to help disadvantaged or disabled children in Wisconsin and Mississippi. The event has generated $130,000 annually. "I'm not surprised by that anymore," Favre said. "I've been here long enough to know that regardless of the weather conditions, regardless of what type of an event is taking place, they come. That's why Green Bay, a small market, and the state of Wisconsin compared to some of these other markets are able to field not only the Packers, but the (Milwaukee) Brewers and the Bucks. It's because of the people."

Shouldering the load Favre has yet to miss a start during his fabled NFL career. So it should come as no surprise the three-time MVP shrugged off a sore right shoulder and was on the field during Sunday's game. Favre played three innings — all at second base. He was 1-for-2. "My mind tells me I can hit it, and my mind tells me I can field it and throw it," said Favre, whose shoulder kept him from participating in the organized team activity on-field workouts last Wednesday and Thursday. "But my body sometimes disagrees with me."

He's the man Tight end Clark Harris may be only a rookie. But he turned out to be the most popular guy among his offensive teammates after his eighth-inning single pushed across the game-winner. The game, played under sunny skies and hot temperatures, was scheduled to last seven innings. "It was fun," said Harris, drafted in April by the Packers in the seventh round out of Rutgers. "I was kind of getting on the coach to let me get up there and get up again, even though I got up the inning before. We were just kind of batting wherever. I was hoping for a home run, but the single will do."

Kicker turns crooner Despite being surrounded by a handful of players and Favre's oldest daughter, Brittany, Packers kicker Dave Rayner found himself front and center during the singing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Rayner went in thinking the whole group was going to bust out in chorus, but he turned out to be the lone person holding the microphone and suddenly in the spotlight. So what's more difficult: lining up for a game-winning, 45-yard field goal or singing in front of over 8,500 people? "Obviously, a game-winning field goal," Rayner said with a laugh. "But I was a little nervous. I forgot the words halfway through. I had to look around (for help.). They left me out in the dark there."

[align=center]

OL[/align]

[align=center]

Martin and Dendy[/align]

[align=center]

Barnett[/align]

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres another artical on subject. I don't pretend to be able to verify the authenticity but accoring to the article one guy paid $14,000 and the other paid $9,000.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres another artical on subject. I don't pretend to be able to verify the authenticity but accoring to the article one guy paid $14,000 and the other paid $9,000.
Wow.....thanks for the info!
I guess if i was rich i'd pay that to have a chance to play with them too.
Alas, i'm poor.

Members online

Latest posts