Breeland to Chiefs

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes me think DB comes back to the possibilities in the first 3 picks

D

Deleted member 6794

It's disappointing the Packers didn't find a way to re-sign Breeland. That means they might need a cornerback again after all this offseason.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the fact that we are cap strapped for the coming years pushed him out of GB. We will have to see for what he signed at KC. Really bummed out, this was the only must resign imo. King unfortunately isn't reliable and we will have to hope that Alexander and Jackson keep improving.

2015 off season déjà vu...

H

HardRightEdge

It's disappointing the Packers didn't find a way to re-sign Breeland. That means they might need a cornerback again after all this offseason.
Not to belabor the point (OK, I will belabor it), retaining Williams means the Packers are 4 deep at corner, 2 deep at FS. What the Packers need on defense more than a corner is a SS and and an ILB.

Jones has been uninspiring at SS. Burks and Jones were worse than uninspiring playing ILB, with Jones moved to safety and Burks benched at one point for a UDFA dragged off the street before that guy got tossed out of a game and cut.

No matter how you mix and match, ILB is the higher priority.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointing for sure. Would have loved to see him back. Right now we have too much riding on Kevin King's shoulders

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointing for sure. Would have loved to see him back. Right now we have too much riding on Kevin King's shoulders
I honestly wonder if it would help King's career to wear something under the shoulder pads for stabilization or protection. Even if it constricted him a little.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people just have instability in certain joints. I don’t know if he has congenital laxity or just bad luck, but it could be that no matter how much he rehabs he’s going to be very susceptible to injury.

I hope not, but I guess we’ll find out

H

HardRightEdge

I see one report saying Breeland's KC deal is for 1 year / $5 mil, not too much more than Williams' cap saving had he been cut before the roster bonus was due. Your Packer brain trust did not see enough value-add in Breeland to make the swap for a little more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I honestly wonder if it would help King's career to wear something under the shoulder pads for stabilization or protection. Even if it constricted him a little.
He was wearing such a contraption on one shoulder in 2018, but I don't recall which one or if it was both.

He popped one shoulder out of the socket some 10 times in 2017 followed by offseason surgery. Then he injured the other shoulder in 2018 preseason.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Breeland is a huge blow. While I generally applaud Gute's actions so far, double dipping and overpaying for two edge rushers left the cupboard bare. Looks like another first round pick at cb for the umpteenth time. Kevin King is a bust so that leaves just Alexander and Jackson at cb. Moving Jackson to safety may be necessary so that leaves the position even thinner. 5 million wasn't much for an above average cb. What a blunder.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok I thought they’d go ILB or Dline with the first pick...but this could easily become a situation where they try and move up and take Greedy Williams, or take Rapp there instead of at 30.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm going to be a little irritated if Breeland signed for 1 year/5 million and the Packers couldn't find a way to retain him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we have:

Jaire Alexander
Josh Jackson
Kevin King
Tramin Williams - may be a Safety

Jackson is too raw to count on
King is too fragile to count on

Then we have:

Tony Brown - a very promising rookie
Natrell Jammerson - I have no idea

Seems a little risky to me. I dont think we are planning on counting on a draft pick, we dont have much experience in our starters already. But maybe this is a sign Greedy is a target at 12.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we have starters at the position with considerable upside (albeit obvious health risks with King) I am really doubtful they spend high draft capital on another CB. Maybe in the 4th or later if they're not happy with Brown. Spending 12 or 30 on a CB again and not, for example, on Oline/ILB/safety/TE would be a waste of resources IMO.

Continuing to develop the talent we have there should be the goal IMO. Keep in mind we have already likely improved the effectiveness of our corners by improving our pass rush (which it looks like we have done through FA).

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Breeland is a huge blow. While I generally applaud Gute's actions so far, double dipping and overpaying for two edge rushers left the cupboard bare. Looks like another first round pick at cb for the umpteenth time. Kevin King is a bust so that leaves just Alexander and Jackson at cb. Moving Jackson to safety may be necessary so that leaves the position even thinner. 5 million wasn't much for an above average cb. What a blunder.

This isn't because we signed the two Olb. At 1 year 5 million this is simply the Packers not valuing him a lot. I disagree with them

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If its true that they let him walk while he signed a 1y 5m dollar deal, I'd be very disappointed. Given his barren market I think a 3y 21m deal would have done the job to sign him up for the long term. And that deal will look like peanuts compared to what he is gonna get after this season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We must have thought he was better than what he is. Getting $5M as a FA with much of that incentives, shows he wasnt valued highly by any GM. Must be concerns regarding his injury or something else.

I'm sure Gute has a plan. Must have more confidence in Kings health and Jacksons' development. Brown did look like he maybe a keeper. And Jammerson has the coolest DB name in the entire NFL.

Reaction score
I do think this moves CB into the picture in the first 5-6 picks (by mid 4th round at the latest) You can never have enough options there as at least 1-2 end up going down at some point.
It's all the more reason to go after a stellar Safety and ILB early and get as much pressure on that QB as possible, that takes some pressure off those CB's and allows for more margin of error at the position

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If our pass rush improves with our FA signings from last week that will camouflage any weaknesses we have in the secondary. I suspect safety and/or corner might still be addressed in the upcoming draft and FA.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wanted him re-signed, like Amish pointed out, 1 year 5 million is not much for a good veteran DB. We all know that, and he could have signed with anybody for any amount offered. Either he turned down some teams or not a lot of teams wanted him, which makes me wonder, why?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Huge blow?

Probably not.

Setback?

Could be.

Either way, no sense fretting about water under the bridge.