Breaking Down 2021 Defensive Unit vs 2022 Defensive Unit as of May

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still time for moves and such but let's look at precisely what has occurred roster wise since the closing of the 2021 season here in Green Bay. The craziness of the "returning" number of starters or contributors is incredible really on the defensive side of the ball - and who knows if King signs back it could be even more...but as we stand today typing this (5/23/2022) of our top 25 defensive snap count guys we are returning 17 of them, and 13 of our top 14 from 2021 (Sullivan the only top 14 that isn't back).

PlayerNumPct
Adrian Amos104897.13%
Darnell Savage Jr.103896.20%
De'Vondre Campbell98891.57%
Eric Stokes93586.65%
Chandon Sullivan82776.65%
Kenny Clark78272.47%
Preston Smith68963.86%
Rashan Gary68163.11%
Rasul Douglas68063.02%
Dean Lowry67462.47%
Krys Barnes52748.84%
Jonathan Garvin39536.61%
Kingsley Keke39336.42%
Tyler Lancaster31929.56%
Kevin King30328.08%
Henry Black26224.28%
Tedarrell Slaton25523.63%
Jaire Alexander21920.30%
Oren Burks20519.00%
Tipa Galeai15214.09%
Whitney Mercilus1079.92%
Isaac Yiadom958.80%
Ladarius Hamilton645.93%
Chauncey Rivers545.00%

So looking at positional rooms and changes/additions:

ILB - The only loss here is Oren Burks (played just shy of 20% of the snaps last year) and we return our top two (Campbell and Barnes). Yet we've added Quay Walker, Ellis Brooks and Caliph Brice + Tariq Carpenter* (sounds like will bounce between S and LB rooms). Burks role is easily covered IMO, the question is did we not just reload but upgrade (IMO yes) with Walker and possibly the athletic and productive Brooks pushing for the 4th spot or so.

CB - We see Sullivan and Yiadom leave, with no real true additions outside of Texada (UDFA)....BUT Jaire didn't play much at all last year and will be back this year....while this might be the strongest TOP of the depth chart positions, depth wise it is one of the weakest IMO. I still see this as an upgraded position as we know more what Stokes is, Jaire is healthy and Rasul seemed to thrive in this system.

S - We lose Henry Black (24% of snaps) and have added Tre Sterling (UDFA) & of course the before mentioned Tariq Carpenter as well. IMO position unchanged (initially I said upgraded, but with Tariq unknown where he will be and Sterling the only addition hard to say upgraded), but not as much as I thought we would.

DL - Lost Lancaster (Keke too but that already happened) and have added Jarran Reed, Devonte Wyatt, Jonathan Ford, Akial Byers, Jauati Pututau....no other position IMO has had better additions from top to bottom than the defensive trenches. Reed was already an addition that was going to see a LOT of snaps, Wyatt is a rookie ready to rock when needed and will especially by mid season be seeing a fair amount as well...mix in probably one of the Ford, Byers or Pututau showing enough to be a bottom of 53 guy or PS type first up like Heflin last year. Upgraded for sure.

OLB - Mercilus retires and Chauncey Rivers (ACL last year) is as well. Yes we have Preston, Gary, Garvin and also Galeai (21st most snaps last year at 14.09%). The only additions to this room was a favorite of mine Kingsley Enagabare and the oober productive but UDFA Chauncey Manac. IMO this room has not been upgraded, but it could progress if next steps are taken by those here still.

Overall this defense has the foundation and the additions to be something special barring anything crazy happening. The addition of a high profile athletic ILB may have caught some off guard but could be a massive example of upgrading a position where you weren't weak in but not exactly a strength either - now forcing Barnes down to your 3rd on depth is such an incredible blessing not many teams can afford to do.

I still sense a veteran CB or Edge/OLB will be added to this roster at some point but even without, this unit has the depth, experience and young/energized guys as well. LOT OF POTENTIAL.

Last edited:

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown -- I agree with pretty much everything here, except I come out of this look at the D with a different tone: I am very concerned that lack of depth at key positions could kill us. Specifically corner, edge rusher, and to some extent safety.

Our slated starting D looks pretty much devastating, and with really, really good injury luck, we could have a top unit -- but that kind of luck almost never happens in the NFL. For instance, last year the Pack was middle of the league in injuries and games lost -- but that still included significant losses at edge and corner, which is just a thing that happens sometimes. Like, it's not at all a crazy thought that Smith or Gary goes down with a serious injury -- then we are *starting* Garvin off the edge, with basically nothing loaded up in rotation. Similar deal in the defensive backfield.

I am super-excited going into the season to see what this D can do, to be clear -- nothing makes me happier than when the Packers can really bring the wood -- but I'm less optimistic than you and perhaps others about who we'll actually have on the field through the season. But let's see -- either I'm right, or I'm thrilled, haha.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown -- I agree with pretty much everything here, except I come out of this look at the D with a different tone: I am very concerned that lack of depth at key positions could kill us. Specifically corner, edge rusher, and to some extent safety.

Our slated starting D looks pretty much devastating, and with really, really good injury luck, we could have a top unit -- but that kind of luck almost never happens in the NFL. For instance, last year the Pack was middle of the league in injuries and games lost -- but that still included significant losses at edge and corner, which is just a thing that happens sometimes. Like, it's not at all a crazy thought that Smith or Gary goes down with a serious injury -- then we are *starting* Garvin off the edge, with basically nothing loaded up in rotation. Similar deal in the defensive backfield.

I am super-excited going into the season to see what this D can do, to be clear -- nothing makes me happier than when the Packers can really bring the wood -- but I'm less optimistic than you and perhaps others about who we'll actually have on the field through the season. But let's see -- either I'm right, or I'm thrilled, haha.

The thinness at Safety and depth past third CB is why I am a massive advocate of a Kevin King resigning.

Rasul has starting experience at safety and say God forbid an injury happens, king to your third and Rasul going to safety isn’t the worst contingency plan to have.

While I predict a CB or edge veteran signing, safety signing for vet minimum wouldn’t shock me either (sounds like you agree as well)

You cannot judge or evaluate additions/subtractions thinking of injuries that don’t exist.

Will there be injuries, for sure…what degree and to whom is impossible to judge.

Depth is not refined at all spots for sure and presently depending where an injury happens we would be asking a lot of inexperienced folks.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget OLB Randy Ramsey should be back from a significant ankle injury which kept him out all of '21. Was a ST ace and was in-line for the #4 OLB spot. I think OLB will be OK unless the injury bug bites in TC, again. He should be the #3 guy to start TC, with Ladarius Hamilton, Garvin, Galeai & Enagbare fighting for spots 4 & 5.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget OLB Randy Ramsey should be back from a significant ankle injury which kept him out all of '21. Was a ST ace and was in-line for the #4 OLB spot. I think OLB will be OK unless the injury bug bites in TC, again.

I didn't list him but yes you're right, OLB was the only position I made the mistake of talking about guys currently here that were and not focusing on departures and additions.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still time for moves and such but let's look at precisely what has occurred roster wise since the closing of the 2021 season here in Green Bay. The craziness of the "returning" number of starters or contributors is incredible really on the defensive side of the ball - and who knows if King signs back it could be even more...but as we stand today typing this (5/23/2022) of our top 25 defensive snap count guys we are returning 17 of them, and 13 of our top 14 from 2021 (Sullivan the only top 14 that isn't back).

PlayerNumPct
Adrian Amos104897.13%
Eric Stokes93586.65%
Kenny Clark78272.47%
Preston Smith68963.86%
Rashan Gary68163.11%
Rasul Douglas68063.02%
Dean Lowry67462.47%
Krys Barnes52748.84%
Jonathan Garvin39536.61%
Kingsley Keke39336.42%
Tyler Lancaster31929.56%
Kevin King30328.08%
Henry Black26224.28%
Jaire Alexander21920.30%
Oren Burks20519.00%
Tipa Galeai15214.09%
Whitney Mercilus1079.92%
Isaac Yiadom958.80%
Ladarius Hamilton645.93%
Chauncey Rivers545.00%

ILB - The only loss here is Oren Burks (played just shy of 20% of the snaps last year) and we return our top two (Campbell and Barnes). Yet we've added Quay Walker, Ellis Brooks and Caliph Brice + Tariq Carpenter* (sounds like will bounce between S and LB rooms). Burks role is easily covered IMO, the question is did we not just reload but upgrade (IMO yes) with Walker and possibly the athletic and productive Brooks pushing for the 4th spot or so.

CB - We see Sullivan and Yiadom leave, with no real true additions outside of Texada (UDFA)....BUT Jaire didn't play much at all last year and will be back this year....while this might be the strongest TOP of the depth chart positions, depth wise it is one of the weakest IMO. I still see this as an upgraded position as we know more what Stokes is, Jaire is healthy and Rasul seemed to thrive in this system.

S - We lose Henry Black (24% of snaps) and have added Tre Sterling (UDFA) & of course the before mentioned Tariq Carpenter as well. IMO position upgraded, but not as much as I thought we would.

DL - Lost Lancaster (Keke too but that already happened) and have added Jordan Reed, Devonte Wyatt, Jonathan Ford, Akial Byers, Jauati Pututau....no other position IMO has had better additions from top to bottom than the defensive trenches. Reed was already an addition that was going to see a LOT of snaps, Wyatt is a rookie ready to rock when needed and will especially by mid season be seeing a fair amount as well...mix in probably one of the Ford, Byers or Pututau showing enough to be a bottom of 53 guy or PS type first up like Heflin last year. Upgraded for sure.

OLB - Mercilus retires and Chauncey Rivers (ACL last year) is as well. Yes we have Preston, Gary, Garvin and also Galeai (21st most snaps last year at 14.09%). The only addition to this room is oober productive but UDFA Chauncey Manac. IMO this room has not been upgraded, but it could progress if next steps are taken by those here still.

Overall this defense has the foundation and the additions to be something special barring anything crazy happening. The addition of a high profile athletic ILB may have caught some off guard but could be a massive example of upgrading a position where you weren't weak in but not exactly a strength either - now forcing Barnes down to your 3rd on depth is such an incredible blessing not many teams can afford to do.

I still sense a veteran CB or Edge/OLB will be added to this roster at some point but even without, this unit has the depth, experience and young/energized guys as well. LOT OF POTENTIAL.

Great breakdown. Some really great information. I agree with much of what you say but I am holding all judgement on Walker until I see him play a few games. He's as athletic as any ILB in the league but so much of that position is instincts and reading plays that all the athleticism in the world won't matter if it takes him a second longer to read a play than other ILBs. I have no doubt he'll eventually get it, I'm just not sure I'm counting on a rookie to be able to read offenses that quickly. If Walker gets it then the defense could very well be a top-3 unit in the league but as of now I'm thinking top-10; somewhere in 10-7 range in points allowed.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great breakdown. Some really great information. I agree with much of what you say but I am holding all judgement on Walker until I see him play a few games. He's as athletic as any ILB in the league but so much of that position is instincts and reading plays that all the athleticism in the world won't matter if it takes him a second longer to read a play than other ILBs. I have no doubt he'll eventually get it, I'm just not sure I'm counting on a rookie to be able to read offenses that quickly. If Walker gets it then the defense could very well be a top-3 unit in the league but as of now I'm thinking top-10; somewhere in 10-7 range in points allowed.

I fully expect he and Barnes to receive similar snaps early on, but hopefully by about Weeks 6-8 he really starts taking over second role snap count wise.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One sneaky thing I hadn't noticed or would have guessed was the amount of snaps Slaton actually took last year. The promise that athletic big guy has, made the Ford pick all the more odd in the 7th.

Kenny Clark only played around 33% his rookie year, and the way Slaton closed out the year left me really thinking he could be the 2022 breakout guy on the Defensive side of the ball - but with Wyatt and Reed now in house, I wouldn't predict that will happen persay, but look for Slaton to keep progressing and being that big dog in the middle when needed.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another observation is the quiet but leaned on heavily snapcounts for Garvin and Keke - Keke void is filled with Reed/Wyatt/Ford/Byers and such but Garvin is honestly most likely going to be asked to maybe take more snaps and illustrates even more so why OLB I feel is a vet minimum needy position.

Reaction score

PlayerNumPct
Adrian Amos104897.13%
Eric Stokes93586.65%
Kenny Clark78272.47%
Preston Smith68963.86%
Rashan Gary68163.11%
Rasul Douglas68063.02%
Dean Lowry67462.47%
Krys Barnes52748.84%
Jonathan Garvin39536.61%
Kingsley Keke39336.42%
Tyler Lancaster31929.56%
Kevin King30328.08%
Henry Black26224.28%
Jaire Alexander21920.30%
Oren Burks20519.00%
Tipa Galeai15214.09%
Whitney Mercilus1079.92%
Isaac Yiadom958.80%
Ladarius Hamilton645.93%
Chauncey Rivers545.00%

S - We lose Henry Black (24% of snaps) and have added Tre Sterling (UDFA) & of course the before mentioned Tariq Carpenter as well. IMO position unchanged (initially I said upgraded, but with Tariq unknown where he will be and Sterling the only addition hard to say upgraded), but not as much as I thought we would.

DL - Lost Lancaster (Keke too but that already happened) and have added Jordan Reed, Devonte Wyatt, Jonathan Ford, Akial Byers, Jauati Pututau....no other position IMO has had better additions from top to bottom than the defensive trenches. Reed was already an addition that was going to see a LOT of snaps, Wyatt is a rookie ready to rock when needed and will especially by mid season be seeing a fair amount as well...mix in probably one of the Ford, Byers or Pututau showing enough to be a bottom of 53 guy or PS type first up like Heflin last year. Upgraded for sure.

OLB - Mercilus retires and Chauncey Rivers (ACL last year) is as well. Yes we have Preston, Gary, Garvin and also Galeai (21st most snaps last year at 14.09%). The only addition to this room is oober productive but UDFA Chauncey Manac. IMO this room has not been upgraded, but it could progress if next steps are taken by those here still.

Great post.

I’m nit picking its Jarran not Jordan Reed. But here’s to a land flowing with milk and honey! (Sorry bad Bible joke).

I like the idea of getting 1 more CB. That’s such an important position. Then I see backup Edge, backup Safety as needs. Although we just signed Tarique and he played almost exclusively at Safety. Like 44 consecutive starts there.

Again. Great post I’m just piggybacking is all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It seems odd that you forgot about Enagbare after being excited the Packers were able to select him in the fifth round.

With that being said I agree with other posters that the Packers most likely have one of the most talented starting units in the league but lack talent at almost each position on defense. Their performance will depend a lot on their ability to stay healthy.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems odd that you forgot about Enagbare after being excited the Packers were able to select him in the fifth round.

With that being said I agree with other posters that the Packers most likely have one of the most talented starting units in the league but lack talent at almost each position on defense. Their performance will depend a lot on their ability to stay healthy.

Holy crap I must have been drunk.....brain fart of all brain farts there. Editing the OP

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PlayerNumPct
Adrian Amos104897.13%
Eric Stokes93586.65%
Kenny Clark78272.47%
Preston Smith68963.86%
Rashan Gary68163.11%
Rasul Douglas68063.02%
Dean Lowry67462.47%
Krys Barnes52748.84%
Jonathan Garvin39536.61%
Kingsley Keke39336.42%
Tyler Lancaster31929.56%
Kevin King30328.08%
Henry Black26224.28%
Jaire Alexander21920.30%
Oren Burks20519.00%
Tipa Galeai15214.09%
Whitney Mercilus1079.92%
Isaac Yiadom958.80%
Ladarius Hamilton645.93%
Chauncey Rivers545.00%

DL - Lost Lancaster (Keke too but that already happened) and have added Jarran Reed, Devonte Wyatt, Jonathan Ford, Akial Byers, Jauati Pututau....no other position IMO has had better additions from top to bottom than the defensive trenches. Reed was already an addition that was going to see a LOT of snaps, Wyatt is a rookie ready to rock when needed and will especially by mid season be seeing a fair amount as well...mix in probably one of the Ford, Byers or Pututau showing enough to be a bottom of 53 guy or PS type first up like Heflin last year. Upgraded for sure.

OLB - Mercilus retires and Chauncey Rivers (ACL last year) is as well. Yes we have Preston, Gary, Garvin and also Galeai (21st most snaps last year at 14.09%). The only additions to this room was a favorite of mine Kingsley Enagabare and the oober productive but UDFA Chauncey Manac. IMO this room has not been upgraded, but it could progress if next steps are taken by those here still.

Good analysis. The only "weak" areas are CB and OL depth. Good problems to have.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One sneaky thing I hadn't noticed or would have guessed was the amount of snaps Slaton actually took last year. The promise that athletic big guy has, made the Ford pick all the more odd in the 7th.

Kenny Clark only played around 33% his rookie year, and the way Slaton closed out the year left me really thinking he could be the 2022 breakout guy on the Defensive side of the ball - but with Wyatt and Reed now in house, I wouldn't predict that will happen persay, but look for Slaton to keep progressing and being that big dog in the middle when needed.
If nothing else, Slaton adds depth. But I also think he allows Barry to work Wyatt in gradually. I mean at the end of last year, the iDL consisted of Clark and, not much. This year it has a solid group of starters and backups that can keep the line fresh throughout the game. Gluten has done a great job here.

Like most teams with solid starting talent. GB's defense is susceptible to injury. Depth at OLB and corner are needed (this might be solved if King signs. I grudgingly admit he'll work as a #4 corner). But they need guys to spell Gary and P. Smith. Maybe a veteran on a one-year contract, or pull someone off a PS. Gluten's pretty good at that.

And there's a lot of time between now and the start of TC.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, Slaton adds depth. But I also think he allows Barry to work Wyatt in gradually. I mean at the end of last year, the iDL consisted of Clark and, not much. This year it has a solid group of starters and backups that can keep the line fresh throughout the game. Gluten has done a great job here.

Like most teams with solid starting talent. GB's defense is susceptible to injury. Depth at OLB and corner are needed (this might be solved if King signs. I grudgingly admit he'll work as a #4 corner). But they need guys to spell Gary and P. Smith. Maybe a veteran on a one-year contract, or pull someone off a PS. Gluten's pretty good at that.

And there's a lot of time between now and the start of TC.

OLB is my #1 position I want a veteran added for a vet minimum. Yes Garvin has been progressing and should continue, I'm high on Enagabare and Manac but again it is a lot to expect either of them to be your #3. I'd love to bring someone in that makes Garvin and him be like 3A and 3B at least.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB is my #1 position I want a veteran added for a vet minimum. Yes Garvin has been progressing and should continue, I'm high on Enagabare and Manac but again it is a lot to expect either of them to be your #3. I'd love to bring someone in that makes Garvin and him be like 3A and 3B at least.
Agreed. I think they'll get King back for depth at Corner. But at OLB it's Gary and P. Smith doing the heavy lifting. They need a credible pass rusher to spell those guys.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I think they'll get King back for depth at Corner. But at OLB it's Gary and P. Smith doing the heavy lifting. They need a credible pass rusher to spell those guys.

Many are surprised to learn Garvin nearly played 40% of the snaps last year. That is very promising - not in that he did amazing things, but that with that many snaps no one was clamoring about how bad he was doing or him being the glaring bad spot in games. He had some games where he was rated over 70 (PFF scale) and for the season flirted with 60.0 (at 59.6). Is Barry and the staff really expected that third year growth you often times see in prospects occur? Maybe....even if it does happen, chances are a vet minimum type can be had. My choice presently is Pernell McPhee or maybe Jamie Collins - both would be very affordable and capable #3 no worse IMO than Mercilus was.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have been banging the lack of depth drum also. Hoping to resign Kevin King. Hoping Carpenter is a safety. Hoping Garvin takes that step. Another thought is that practically every vet that got cut last year had the Pack on their list of teams to go to cheap in the quest for a ring. Maybe Gute is hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again for cheap to add depth when final cuts for cap reasons both before and during the season are made.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been banging the lack of depth drum also. Hoping to resign Kevin King. Hoping Carpenter is a safety. Hoping Garvin takes that step. Another thought is that practically every vet that got cut last year had the Pack on their list of teams to go to cheap in the quest for a ring. Maybe Gute is hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again for cheap to add depth when final cuts for cap reasons both before and during the season are made.

Really just Smith (eventually didn't cut it) and Mercilus fit this?

Dennis Kelly was a cheap FA signing. Who am I forgetting?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That isn't enough for you? Plus pretty sure the DB New England let go and OBJ had the Pack high on their lists.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good analysis. The only "weak" areas are CB and OL depth. Good problems to have.

Actually the Packers lack quality depth at nearly every position on defense. I don't consider that to be the case on the offensive line though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Many are surprised to learn Garvin nearly played 40% of the snaps last year. That is very promising - not in that he did amazing things, but that with that many snaps no one was clamoring about how bad he was doing or him being the glaring bad spot in games. He had some games where he was rated over 70 (PFF scale) and for the season flirted with 60.0 (at 59.6). Is Barry and the staff really expected that third year growth you often times see in prospects occur? Maybe....even if it does happen, chances are a vet minimum type can be had. My choice presently is Pernell McPhee or maybe Jamie Collins - both would be very affordable and capable #3 no worse IMO than Mercilus was.
When looking at how the Packers historically operate, I'd say without reservation that Garvin is being counted on as the first guy in off the bench. When looking at these third year guys, what none of us know is what their off season work habits are like. Will need to listen closely to the position coaches during training camp to find out how things are really looking.

Reaction score
When looking at how the Packers historically operate, I'd say without reservation that Garvin is being counted on as the first guy in off the bench. When looking at these third year guys, what none of us know is what their off season work habits are like. Will need to listen closely to the position coaches during training camp to find out how things are really looking.
The Packers have one of the strongest Defensive starting units on paper. The DL depth is as good as we’ve seen in GB in over a decade. The iLB group is pretty strong, I’d call it 3 starting caliber iLB’s.

We’re needing 1-2 DB’s and
1-2 players in that OLB group who can step up their games. Call it 3 guys who need to make the jump this season. If that happens? This will easily be the best Defense (as a whole) that we’ve seen in 12+ seasons.
If not, it’s still an adequate to good top #10-12 scoring D unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts