Brandon Marshall traded to Dolphins...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers did inquire about Marshall but finally got to see the price tag. The Dolphins acquired him for a 2nd rounder this year and a 2nd rounder nxt year.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If all Denver was willing to accept was draft picks, which is the way it seemed to me, then I don't think we would have ever gotten him. TT is very protective of his draft picks.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If all Denver was willing to accept was draft picks, which is the way it seemed to me, then I don't think we would have ever gotten him. TT is very protective of his draft picks.

I agree. TT would in no way give up 2, 2nd round draft choices. I think everyone involved with that trade is actually happy about how it turned out.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. TT would in no way give up 2, 2nd round draft choices. I think everyone involved with that trade is actually happy about how it turned out.

Ya Denver did well, this years high 2nd round draft choice is almost a low first round in other drafts, then getting another 2nd round in next years draft.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe there's a method to Ted's madness? Denver is stockpiling draft picks, New England has a TON of draft picks for this season and Ted is often un-willing to trade his picks. Perhaps other teams are starting to get a clue that building through the draft for the long term is the best way to make sure your team is good for years, rather than just a one shot to glory.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe there's a method to Ted's madness? Denver is stockpiling draft picks, New England has a TON of draft picks for this season and Ted is often un-willing to trade his picks. Perhaps other teams are starting to get a clue that building through the draft for the long term is the best way to make sure your team is good for years, rather than just a one shot to glory.
I don't know about that...

Don't get me wrong, if you take a look, 80% of the last SB winners were build through the draft. NE only started spending bucks in FA AFTER their SB tittles. Pitt doesn't spend. NYG hadn't send much in FA in 07 and 08... The Colts are a notorious draft only team... Not only that, but none of the big spenders in FA has won it in the last years... Chicago, Wahsington, the Giants... The only teams that did well spending big bucks in FA were the Jets and the Vikings... But none reached even the SB...

But I believe what's happening is that THIS draft is so full and THIS FA class is so thin that teams rather keep draft picks than spend them in players...

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a deep draft. No need to trade picks for Marshall... theres a Marshall somewhere in the draft.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he did set an nfl record last year for receptions in a game. I think it was foolish for Denver to let him go. Now they need to look for a #1 WR. I guess it makes sense if the team felt he was uncoachable and the rift between him and his head coach was to big.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he did set an nfl record last year for receptions in a game. I think it was foolish for Denver to let him go. Now they need to look for a #1 WR. I guess it makes sense if the team felt he was uncoachable and the rift between him and his head coach was to big.
Their HC is dumb as wood.

He brought in Bellichick's attitude, without the bling to back it up.

It's one thing when a guy much older than you, with 3 SB titles, tells you to man up, and stop going out.

It's a whole nother thing when it's a 30 year old punk who never won **** in his life...

He single-handedly might've ruined their franchise. And he didn't change a thing. They still started really well and finished like ****, circa 2008... Only without their future franchise QB, and not without one of the best receivers in the league...

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Theyre banking on Royal

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it has been proven time and time again that having a few very good players on a TEAM does not win SBs if they are going to act a fool all the time. TEAM cohesion, working together, and good players wins SBs. Those two crybaby idiots are good players but also disrupted the TEAM cohesion. Banking on them would have kept them a good team but not a great team.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it has been proven time and time again that having a few very good players on a TEAM does not win SBs if they are going to act a fool all the time. TEAM cohesion, working together, and good players wins SBs. Those two crybaby idiots are good players but also disrupted the TEAM cohesion. Banking on them would have kept them a good team but not a great team.

I couldn't agree with you more. I also so Packer RS point of view... McDaniels needed to chill out. I think you can see the differences in styles with Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh)... young guy, fun coach, players coach... his team is generally hitting its stride late in the season where McDaniels team hit a wall (granted it was only one year).

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about that...

Don't get me wrong, if you take a look, 80% of the last SB winners were build through the draft. NE only started spending bucks in FA AFTER their SB tittles. Pitt doesn't spend. NYG hadn't send much in FA in 07 and 08... The Colts are a notorious draft only team... Not only that, but none of the big spenders in FA has won it in the last years... Chicago, Wahsington, the Giants... The only teams that did well spending big bucks in FA were the Jets and the Vikings... But none reached even the SB...

But I believe what's happening is that THIS draft is so full and THIS FA class is so thin that teams rather keep draft picks than spend them in players...

Yeah, maybe. Like you said, teams notorious for spending big in free agency haven't really done that well historically compared to teams who build through the draft and use free agency as an enhancement, when needed.

I personally feel that Ted Thompson has done well with regards to free agents. He's a smart, disciplined consumer who doesn't get caught up in the hype and hoopla of other teams. He has a price in mind, will put the offer out and if it's taken, then great. If not, then he moves on. That style I feel is a much better benefit to the team in the long run in that you don't go overboard for a guy who ultimately winds up not panning out. Look at the Skins with Haynesworth or Bears with Cutler last season. The jury is still out on the Cutler trade, but the Redskins are looking to dump Haynesworth after one season. Hell, even Randy Moss was considered a malcontent last season.

Sometimes I think Packer fans want Ted to do something in free agency merely for the sake of doing something, regardless of whether it's a good deal or not. Yes, there are free agents available that *could* make our team better, but the questions needing to be asked are a) why is their current team cutting them, b) are they *that* much of an upgrade over who we already have c) can we afford the asking price over the long term, and how would it impact our future? and d) How long can we reasonably expect them to perform at a high level?

I'm not a huge believer in signing high priced free agents for a one or two year shot at a title. That's what desperate teams do, and I think this winds up killing you in the longer run as you're ultimately going all in on a one shot deal that doesn't guarantee results. If you can get a combination of value and longevity, then pulling the trigger makes sense. Otherwise, it's too big a gamble to me.

That's all I got. Happy tax day, everyone!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe. Like you said, teams notorious for spending big in free agency haven't really done that well historically compared to teams who build through the draft and use free agency as an enhancement, when needed.

I personally feel that Ted Thompson has done well with regards to free agents. He's a smart, disciplined consumer who doesn't get caught up in the hype and hoopla of other teams. He has a price in mind, will put the offer out and if it's taken, then great. If not, then he moves on. That style I feel is a much better benefit to the team in the long run in that you don't go overboard for a guy who ultimately winds up not panning out. Look at the Skins with Haynesworth or Bears with Cutler last season. The jury is still out on the Cutler trade, but the Redskins are looking to dump Haynesworth after one season. Hell, even Randy Moss was considered a malcontent last season.

Sometimes I think Packer fans want Ted to do something in free agency merely for the sake of doing something, regardless of whether it's a good deal or not. Yes, there are free agents available that *could* make our team better, but the questions needing to be asked are a) why is their current team cutting them, b) are they *that* much of an upgrade over who we already have c) can we afford the asking price over the long term, and how would it impact our future? and d) How long can we reasonably expect them to perform at a high level?

I'm not a huge believer in signing high priced free agents for a one or two year shot at a title. That's what desperate teams do, and I think this winds up killing you in the longer run as you're ultimately going all in on a one shot deal that doesn't guarantee results. If you can get a combination of value and longevity, then pulling the trigger makes sense. Otherwise, it's too big a gamble to me.

That's all I got. Happy tax day, everyone!
I'm 99% on board with you. I also believe fans wants us to do something for the sake of doing something.

But TT has had 2 problematic drafts. 07 and 08. We didn't get much from that. And if you want to build through the draft, you got to score high on it. Of course, it could change if Lee and Harrell perform. And if he can get 3 to 4 performers in this draft, then it might compensate for those years.

And this year I'm completely on board with him. This draft is really full.

But in previous years, he could've been a little more aggressive. Last year, he SHOULD'VE gotten veteran CB when we lost Harris. It costed us. If we had signed Chris McCalister, I doubt he'd have performed as bad as Bush did...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Not only did Miami give up draft picks, but I heard on the radio yesterday that Marshall signed an extension making him the highest paid receiver in the NFL.

Too much for someone who's been nothing but trouble. Though he is very talented. It's ridiculous that Marshall makes more money than Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson, though.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only did Miami give up draft picks, but I heard on the radio yesterday that Marshall signed an extension making him the highest paid receiver in the NFL.

Too much for someone who's been nothing but trouble. Though he is very talented. It's ridiculous that Marshall makes more money than Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson, though.
He's the highest paid receiver considering incentives.

Guaranteed money, it's Fitzgerald...

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spending big bucks in free agency funnels all the money that you could have used to to spend on players that could've plugged up holes on the team. That's why teams build through the draft. Not only is it cheaper but its more valuable.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Denver was willing to part with this guy for a 2nd this year and next he must've been a real jewel in the lockerroom. :icon_rolleyes: Normally teams don't trade away talented players in their prime without a good reason. He probably was a pain in the tail and the Donkeys had to qualms ridding themselves of this goofball.

Members online

Latest posts