Bold 2020 Predictions - PreDraft & FA

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't benefit by releasing Graham at this point. Therefore I don't care when they actually make the move.

Oh I don't care either, it just is stupid to not release...if anything add another TE to the FA pool...water it down slightly. LOL :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh I don't care either, it just is stupid to not release...if anything add another TE to the FA pool...water it down slightly. LOL :)

I highly doubt the Packers releasing Graham early would have an impact on which veteran tight end they're going to sign in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers don't benefit by releasing Graham at this point. Therefore I don't care when they actually make the move.

I think most of us agree that Graham will ultimately be released. You are correct, the Packers don't have to give him any more money until the OTA's. So unless they need the cap space that he is taking up, no need to release him until then, he is currently costing the Packers nothing. However the Packers might benefit by releasing Graham before Free Agency. I expect another team will sign Graham, but at a much reduced contract than he is currently under. That team signing Graham, may be one less competing with the Packers for another available TE.

Lane Taylor is in a slightly different boat. While he doesn't cost the Packers anything until OTA's, to most he looks like a probable cut to save $4.55M. I doubt it happens, but the Packers could pay him his workout bonus ($250K), bring him to camp as insurance against Jenkins being injured or as a potential starter if the OL gets shuffled because Bulaga isn't resigned. All that said, I think his game has slid some and ultimately, the Packers will take the money and cut him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think most of us agree that Graham will ultimately be released. You are correct, the Packers don't have to give him any more money until the OTA's. So unless they need the cap space that he is taking up, no need to release him until then, he is currently costing the Packers nothing. However the Packers might benefit by releasing Graham before Free Agency. I expect another team will sign Graham, but at a much reduced contract than he is currently under. That team signing Graham, may be one less competing with the Packers for another available TE.

I don't believe that Graham being a free agent will have any impact on the competition for the top tight ends on the market.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't believe that Graham being a free agent will have any impact on the competition for the top tight ends on the market.

I agree, he would not be, if the Packers release him in the next few weeks. I guess if you are assuming that the Packers will only be trying to sign one of the top TE's on the market, then Graham being available to other teams in search of a top TE, probably won't effect the competition the Packers face for such. However, if the Packers miss out on those TE's and have to settle for a mid tier TE, perhaps Graham being signed by another team that is looking for the same, would increase the odds of someone else being available for the Packers to sign as well. Simple Supply and Demand economics.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, he would not be, if the Packers release him in the next few weeks. I guess if you are assuming that the Packers will only be trying to sign one of the top TE's on the market, then Graham being available to other teams in search of a top TE, probably won't effect the competition the Packers face for such. However, if the Packers miss out on those TE's and have to settle for a mid tier TE, perhaps Graham being signed by another team that is looking for the same, would increase the odds of someone else being available for the Packers to sign as well. Simple Supply and Demand economics.

This is my line of thought as well. IF Graham wants to play another year, and unless Gute and Co. are going to overpay INSANELY for Hooper or Henry this is precisely the case.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the good will to allow a person to get offers from day 1 is noticed by other players currently on the roster and to players potentially on the roster across the NFL. Maybe knowing that the Packers take into account what is good for the livelihood of their players makes a potential free agent take a little less money to play here than to play for an organization that only cares about orginzational needs. Everyone gets that it is a business, but some businesses look out for their employees more than others. Until Free Agency starts it doesn't matter right now. But if Graham and the Packers aren't going to restructure, and a roster cut is a forgone conclusion, we might as well get it done within the next 14 days.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, if the Packers miss out on those TE's and have to settle for a mid tier TE, perhaps Graham being signed by another team that is looking for the same, would increase the odds of someone else being available for the Packers to sign as well. Simple Supply and Demand economics.

If the Packers don't sign a significant upgrade over Graham in free agency it might be smarter to rely on Sternberger, Tonyan and a rookie to get the job done and spend the money on a different position.

I think the good will to allow a person to get offers from day 1 is noticed by other players currently on the roster and to players potentially on the roster across the NFL. Maybe knowing that the Packers take into account what is good for the livelihood of their players makes a potential free agent take a little less money to play here than to play for an organization that only cares about orginzational needs.

Actually I don't believe that the Packers care any more than another team in the league about the livelihood of their players. In addition I can't remember any free agent signing in Green Bay for less because of it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Lane Taylor is in a slightly different boat. While he doesn't cost the Packers anything until OTA's, to most he looks like a probable cut to save $4.55M. I doubt it happens, but the Packers could pay him his workout bonus ($250K), bring him to camp as insurance against Jenkins being injured or as a potential starter if the OL gets shuffled because Bulaga isn't resigned. All that said, I think his game has slid some and ultimately, the Packers will take the money and cut him.
Jimmy released.. per chtv

Members online

Latest posts