Bob Kravitz of the IndyStar has a message for the Packers and their fans

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
http://www.indystar.com/article/20111209/SPORTS03/112090350/Packers-should-go-unbeaten-season

The following messages are intended for the people of Wisconsin and then the Green Bay Packers.
First, for the people of Wisconsin:

When you Cheeseheads return to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl in a couple of months, we will not run out of beer -- as a few bars did when Badgers and Michigan State Spartans fans drank us dry before the Big Ten title game. (We'll also double-up on cheese curds.)

Second, for the Green Bay Packers:

Go for perfection.

Let me reiterate.

Go. For. Perfection.

That might sound strange coming from somebody who is watching the local team battle to avoid 0-16. But it was just two years ago -- feels like 20 -- that the Indianapolis Colts were standing 14-0 and leading the New York Jets in Game 15 before management and the coach pulled the plug.
Don't do that.

The regret and the anger never go away.

Not in the locker room, not in the city, not anywhere.

The debate already is raging in Wisconsin. The Packers have won 12 games with four to go. Their closest competitor, the San Francisco 49ers, have won 10 with four to go. A Packers victory and 49ers loss, and the last three games could be meaningless in terms of playoff positioning.

This city still has not forgiven Colts management for pulling the plug, and never will. That's part of the reason for the over-the-top level of anger that has attended this year's collapse. No question, if they'd won that year's Super Bowl against the New Orleans Saints, the anger would have been largely muted, but there still would have remained the question of what-might-have-been, especially for the players.

"We wanted to keep winning; that's just the way athletes are wired," injured middle linebacker Gary Brackett said. "Guys were angry about it. I'd say almost a hundred percent of them were. But that's the decision they made."

I recall the post-Jets-game locker room scene vividly. It was as if the Colts had just lost the biggest game of the season, like they'd just been eliminated from the playoffs. They were 14-1! Some players bit their tongues and offered the company line. Some just left without talking to the media, including some of the most media friendly, like Brackett.

Reggie Wayne was one of the few who expressed something close to his honest emotions.

"Who wouldn't (want to chase a perfect season)?" he said that day. "I mean . . . who wouldn't? Doesn't everybody want to be a part of history? Not a season goes by that you don't hear about the '72 Dolphins."

He paused.

"I guess there's a bigger picture. We all wanted to play, but the big dog (coach Jim Caldwell) made a decision and we have to roll with that decision. We came out after the halftime and felt like we were starting to roll and could score some points, but the manager took us off the mound."

Then-team president Bill Polian then fanned the flames of discontent on his radio show the following night, angrily dismissing fans who took issue with the team's conservative approach. He talked about which records were important and which ones were not. And then, as if to rub salt in the wound, one week later in a snowstorm in Buffalo, there was Peyton Manning throwing lots of short passes to Dallas Clark and Wayne in an effort to reach statistical milestones.

Right.

To the players' everlasting credit, they didn't let the disappointment linger. When Polian sought to address the issue with the team a few days after the Jets game, Manning intercepted him and said he would broach the subject with the team. The Colts pulled themselves together and reached the Super Bowl.

Nobody remembers who won the 1971 Super Bowl. But everybody remembers the Miami Dolphins were the perfect team in winning the '72 Super Bowl. Just as the inverse is true; nobody remembers all the 1-15 and 2-14 teams, but everybody remembers the coaches and players who went winless, the '76 Tampa Bay Buccaneers and '08 Detroit Lions.

Management and coaches owe it to their players to give them the opportunity. The Colts owed their players that opportunity, and now, Green Bay's power brokers owe their guys the chance to pursue the ultimate greatness and become the first 19-0 team.

There is always risk in playing top players in meaningless games late in the season. The Patriots lost Wes Welker on a non-contact play in 2009. But consider the Colts, who shut it down the last 51/2 quarters two seasons ago. In the playoffs, Dwight Freeney injured his ankle and played at a diminished capacity in the Super Bowl loss to New Orleans.

"To be honest, guys are more likely to get hurt in practice," Brackett said. "You see it all the time. You're going full bore in a game, it doesn't happen as much."

Go. For. Perfection.

Maybe that's why the Saints won that year's Super Bowl. They fell short of perfection, but at least they went for it with heart and soul.

Karma, anyone?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
There was a banner hung by the fans the next game that said "We Cared".

Winston Churchill said "For every man there comes that special moment when he is physically tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing - unique to him and fitted to his talents.
What a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour"

This could be the Packers finest hour, what a tragedy if they did not pursue it.

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I have to say after this brilliant post is

Let's go for it boys.

Other than that, I couldn't be happier being a Packers fan than right now, this season. Let's go!

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
By all means, if a guy is hurt and can't play then sit him. Just like any other regular season game. Not saying you have to force guys who can't even practice to play. Just that telling Aaron or healthy starters to leave a close game if the team is 14-0/15-0 to get some rest and avoid injury is just....ugh.

I absolutely am aware that the Colts could have still lost the SB even if they were 18-0. The Saints were an excellent team. So were the Colts though that season. Perhaps there may have been more of an edge to Indy though if they had gone for it and gone into the SB with full steam? Who knows. I am suprised Kravitz did not mention that Jeff Saturday said at media day leading up to the SB that after the Jets game was tanked he went home and broke his tv that night. If Jeff was saying that in the week leading up to the SB that can't be a good sign IMO. It means it still lingered weeks later.

Lost in the 2007 Patriots talk is often that the 2007 Giants also had nothing to play for at home week 17. Many told them to rest. And they were like F U what do you want us to do just stand here and celebrate 16-0 with the golden boys from NE. The Giants were I believe locked in the 5th seed. I also believe they suffered a few injuries in that game but got those guys back within a week or two.

I also am not sure it's ever a good idea for a heavy passing team to over rest. Too much timing is required. Also is this D really good enough on a weekly basis to rest? No. Is the running game and o line even good enough? No. When the injured o lineman come back they may want a game or two to get back in sync.

Packers end at home with the Bears and Lions. I am not sure I can see anyone in Green Bay wanting to make it easy on those teams. This is actually a good situation for the Packers IMO to peak at the right time. It will be an excellent test heading into the playoffs to sharpen up on both sides of the ball and not get too soft. And potentially keep one or both out of the playoffs. You never want to let a division rival in the postseason.

Overall I do see GB going for it. Could injuries happen? Yep. I pray they don't but the risk is always there. Just have to hope if they do happen they are not serious. Heck last years Packers were always injured and even IN the Super Bowl.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach McCarthy has said many times that "letting off the gas" as he puts it is the easiest way to loose your edge and also for players to get injured. It's not natural to not want to win. To not be the best! I hope he stays true to this.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Play each and every game like it is the Super Bowl, Coach McCarthy & Players. Don't give an inch. Starting tomorrow with the Raiders. Go for it. All.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I do think had the Colts went 16-0 they still would have lost the Super Bowl, I am willing to bet money on it. They didn't only lose it to Manning's interception, they were totally out played in that game. That onside kick was a map of things to come for the rest of the game.

But I also argue that they took their foot off the gas. They wanted to be healthy come play off time. Another team that took their foot off the gas, was the Saints that year, and they WON the Super Bowl. Losing to Dallas, Payton actually said he was glad they lost that game, cause he didn't have the pressure of an undefeated season on him anymore, and the loss to Tampa Bay a week later, he was actually pulling his starters out by then on defense, so he didn't risk the injury of his key players going into the playoffs, and they benched everyone for the final game. They probably could have finished 14-2 or 15-1, but it didn't matter, they were more worried about the playoffs. They lost 3 and a row and everyone talked about how rusty they were going to be in the playoffs, and they were very rusty by ending Kurt Warner's career and giving Favre the beating of his life.

We could lose 3 of the last 4 games and I really would not care as long as we win the Super Bowl.

You know, the Broncos with Elway back in 98 started 13-0, and everyone had them going undefeated. They just came off the huge Super Bowl upset, defending champs, 13-0,and then they finally lost a game. A week later, they lost again, by 10 points to a washed up Dan Marino and a Miami team that was playing for their lives to make the playoffs that year after getting swept by the Jets. Denver finished 14-2, and still won the Super Bowl.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I hate the Chicago Bears - a term that I don't just kick around for the sheer sport of it. The kids here have a dislike for the Vikings...that's ok...I was young once too and my youthful exuberance clouded the things that are truly important in life. Hating the Bears - bordering on despising the Bears - is truly important in life if you're a Packers fan. I had an old farmer (about 80 years old, used to drive his tractor into town right off the field) tell me something, (when I was a cocky college kid), it went something like this: "Weeds", he said, "When I was your age, I knew what you know now...and I've been learning ever since." I only pass that along because you need to know how wrong you kids are...you should be hating the Bears and the Vikies are an unpleasant temporary afterthought ... like having a sore keester after a night of diarrhea ...

Ok, so that foundation laid...I gained a TON of respect for the Bears organization last year when Lovie Smith brought them into Lambeau with the express intention of keeping the Packers out. Yes, I'm talking RESPECT and a limited amount of admiration as well. To this guy's way of thinking, that represented a respect for the integrity of the game. An integrity that I think is waning BIG TIME. That could very well be why the Super Bowl seemed almost anti-climatic to me ... why it hasn't sunk in entirely ... the Packers took possession of the Halas Trophy in the bowels of Soldier Field. Memories are made of THIS.

All of the logical arguments for resting players aside ... you have to play to win each game...period. I would never criticize McCarthy for playing to win every time the Packers trot out of that south end zone tunnel. If a key player is lost ... even if it's Rodgers ... so be it. You then WIN with the next guy. Look, I don't treasure going 'undefeated' into the playoffs -- being undefeated and reigning Super Bowl Champions is a HUGE bullseye to have painted on your back -- but as a wise man once said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Winning isn't everything. The will to win is."

Pursuing 'perfection' is a huge moving target. That same wise man also referenced achieving 'excellence' somewhere along the way in that pursuit. There... rant over ... play to win. (As my son would say ... "Get off the stage, ya bum.")

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all but one comment above. I would be LIVID if we sat our starters and lost a game on our quest to perfection.

Go. For. It. As a fan, I care.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Chris, maybe I convoluted my statement. I say "play 'em"...every game. Not to pursue an undefeated season, but to play the game the way it's supposed to be played. If the Pack "play 'em" and they play to win, and we lose a starter...I will never jump McCarthy's butt for it. I want them to win every game they play. I want them to win the RIGHT way.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most athletes are like sled dogs, they just want you to turn them loose so that they can do what they love. It's the heart of a champion that wins out in the end, and the Colts management ripped the heart out of that team. Hopefully the Packers' management has learned from history.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Chances are the Lions will do or say something extra to tick off the Packers and not a player in Green and Yellow will want to miss that last game. Schwartz or Cunningham or Suh will do or say something incendiary, then look out.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
The only game I can see where we would sit our starters is next week, I think McCarthy would be given hell at Lambeau if he rested, let his foot off the gas or do anything hampering our chances of winning. If we have to experience the Packers to lose, we would much rather see them go down swinging than shrugging their shoulders and make excuses. I am glad Mr. Kravitz wrote this.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is why I take what Kravitz writes with a grain of salt: While he mentions it (“No question, if they'd won that year's Super Bowl against the New Orleans Saints, the anger would have been largely muted, but there still would have remained the question of what-might-have-been, especially for the players.”) he doesn’t fully explore the possibility of the Colts winning a title in their nearly perfect season. IMO that changes everything. While the players were no doubt upset after their loss to the Jets in week 15, I’ll bet a Super Bowl ring would have made those memories fade to black at light speed.

I do agree with Kravitz about the foolishness of chasing statistical milestones the next week, if that’s what happened. If management makes the determination to eschew regular season perfection in favor of winning a title, why were stats of individual players more important than the team’s regular season perfection?

In the most recent Packer Plus, Tyler Dunne argues that resting Starks would be a good idea since he’s far and away their best running threat and he’s suffered a sprained – or re-sprained - ankle in each of his last three games, twice having been carted off the field. I agree it makes sense to have Starks fully healthy before he returns to the field. So far, McCarthy disagrees:
“Right now, my foot’s on the gas and we’re going. We’re playing to win games. And it’s yes or no when I meet with the trainers. I can’t live in this world of gray. Because you’ve got to make decisions. It’s a team sport; people need to get prepared to play with each other and next to each other. So when a player is cleared, we get him in there, and when he’s not, we’ll get him healthy.
Right, and I agree. But the Packers haven’t achieved the ultimate regular season prize yet: Home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Until that goal is achieved, the question of going for perfection is moot. Once it is achieved, here’s what I hope will happen: I hope the Packers rest players who need it, like Starks who has battled a bad ankle, Woodson who has been given days off during regular season weeks for the past several years, and Matthews if he needs it. And Sitton if he needs it. And anyone else who has been battling an ongoing, aggravating injury. (I also hope they can get Clifton healthy enough to get some reps before playoffs.) I am not advocating for McCarthy to take his foot off the gas. He and Capers and their staff should prepare and call plays as if each remaining game is a must win. The only difference I’m advocating is to be careful who is on the field once home field is secured.

The Packers 2010 playoff run argues in favor of this approach. 15 players on IR suggest the team can still have success absent 6 starters and other significant contributors. Resting a player for the playoffs does not equal taking their foot off the gas anymore than missing all those players equaled involuntarily doing so last season.

My wish for the Packers once home field is secured: Be smart. Keep your eyes on the ultimate prize. We don’t know for certain but I’d bet anything at the beginning of this season when Mike McCarthy laid out the teams’ goals he did not include having a perfect record at the end of the regular season. That’s because it’s nowhere near as important as a title. Just ask the 2007 Pats.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They mention Schula's name more on ESPN than they do Chuck Noll's or most other's (besides Lombardi), so undefeated means just as much to a coach's immortality as it does to a player.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good read, thanks for posting this! A lot of sure wisdom and knowing how to learn from somebody else's mistakes. I think the thing to remember here it the Packers are not the Colts. It's a completely different team with a different mentality right down to the last coach/ staff member on the team.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article.

100% of my desire is to win the Super Bowl. If losing the next 4 games happens but we win the Super Bowl, that's a lot better than going 18-0 but losing the Super Bowl.

I do agree that McCarthy should keep his foot on the gas because I do think that will help the team win the Super Bowl.

But with our team, it seems that we lose one player for the season every game. And we lose another player every game for a few weeks.

I truly believe we would win our next 4 games if Flynn started all 4 of them.
But we can't beat playoff teams without Rodgers......

Rodgers just needs to throw balls away before taking sacks.... like the one Rothlisburger took the other day.... any tackle on Rodgers could result in an injury. So just throw it away Arod and take the incomplete pass if you have to.

Members online

Latest posts